Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

61 - 80 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
On a more positive note we have used the Rapid at Ikea Southampton - no problems, charged, e-mailed, refunded. Then, why I m not sure, EH never actually charged us anyway. That was all on our 4 day test drive before buying.

Steve

·
Registered
479 Posts
Why does that go against the tweet shown above?
When the EH started charging last summer, the IKEA stores chargers were left free, while a solution was worked out.

The solution, as per the IKEA's website Electric vehicle charging - IKEA was the result. If you read the policy, you will see that it was implemented as from 14th November.

The tweet you mention was dated 11th November. I can only conclude that it was sent out before the final policy had been set up, and did not reflect what was finally decided.

Unfortunate, but there we are!

·
Registered
300 Posts
The fact that you can charge at Ikea and get a £6 refund on your shopping is great, but most of the checkout staff don't seem aware of this.
I have had this issue on a couple of occasions now at my local store in MK and when I show the person on the till the Ecotricity charging receipt on my phone I get blank looks.
The next step is that they call a supervisor for clarification, today the supervisor said I could get the cost of the charge back, in this case £3.51, when I challenged this and explained that it should be £6 regardless of the actual cost of the charge, this meant calling in someone higher up the chain who eventually arrived, fortunately they knew about this and I got the £6 off.
By this time a queue had built up behind me and people were starting to complain, luckily the transaction was done before a riot started.
The cost to Ikea for this must be tiny, in MK for example they only have one pump with type 2 and Chademo connectors which only allows one car to charge at a time.

·
The best there is at what I do
10,482 Posts
The fact that you can charge at Ikea and get a £6 refund on your shopping is great, but most of the checkout staff don't seem aware of this.
I have had this issue on a couple of occasions now at my local store in MK and when I show the person on the till the Ecotricity charging receipt on my phone I get blank looks.
The next step is that they call a supervisor for clarification, today the supervisor said I could get the cost of the charge back, in this case £3.51, when I challenged this and explained that it should be £6 regardless of the actual cost of the charge, this meant calling in someone higher up the chain who eventually arrived, fortunately they knew about this and I got the £6 off.
By this time a queue had built up behind me and people were starting to complain, luckily the transaction was done before a riot started.
The cost to Ikea for this must be tiny, in MK for example they only have one pump with type 2 and Chademo connectors which only allows one car to charge at a time.
Ive used the IKea charger at MK a few times, after 45mins I go down and move my car, its a shame they didn't have a load of Fast chargers installed instead of one Rapid.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
I challenged this and explained that it should be £6 regardless of the actual cost of the charge, this meant calling in someone higher up the chain who eventually arrived, fortunately they knew about this and I got the £6 off.
You did well. The £6 is historical and no longer applies. When EcoT started charging for charging it was £6 per 30 minutes regardless of amount taken (mainly to prevent PHEV using the pumps). This caused a lot of anger and the amount was adjusted. There's been two changes since then and now it is 30 (35?)p per kWh. So your bill was correct and the refund offered was correct.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
23,001 Posts
.... the supervisor said I could get the cost of the charge back, in this case £3.51, when I challenged this and explained that it should be £6 regardless of the actual cost of the charge.....
I'm a bit surprised you thought you were entitled to more off than you were actually charged for. Doesn't give muggle-folk a warm feeling towards EV users whom they see as having sense-of-entitlement issues.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Tbh the charge should go back to a time based one. Phev blocking is akin to ICE blocking in my books, they can sit in the 7kw posts if there are some around or be second place to those in actual need of the charge

·
42k miles on public charging. Am I an expert yet?
2,610 Posts
Tbh the charge should go back to a time based one. Phev blocking is akin to ICE blocking in my books, they can sit in the 7kw posts if there are some around or be second place to those in actual need of the charge
In a place like IKEA where it’s rare to be there less than an hour, it should be 7kW AC only (maybe some 22kW for the 15 people who can use it). Rapids are completely inappropriate for IKEA frankly!

·
Registered
194 Posts
In a place like IKEA where it’s rare to be there less than an hour, it should be 7kW AC only (maybe some 22kW for the 15 people who can use it). Rapids are completely inappropriate for IKEA frankly!
In places like Southampton where for reasons that are beyond me rapids totally absent (until the recent holiday inn polar) other than IKEA it's a good job it's there. It's not used primarily by IKEA customers.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
2,610 Posts
In places like Southampton where for reasons that are beyond me rapids totally absent (until the recent holiday inn polar) other than IKEA it's a good job it's there. It's not used primarily by IKEA customers.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
That’s great but ultimately for IKEA it would be much better if they serviced a large number of their own customers at a rate appropriate to their stay.

The Polar network has done a very good job of selecting locations where rapid chargers are good both for passing through and customers. Hotels are great for rapids - I often charge whilst I’m checking in and moving my luggage, or during breakfast, when I can then easily move my car when it’s done.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Again it's historical. It was a time when rapids were needed, but not a lot of places would have them. Ikea came forward and provided space. Times change.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
The Polar network has done a very good job of selecting locations where rapid chargers are good both for passing through and customers. Hotels are great for rapids - I often charge whilst I’m checking in and moving my luggage, or during breakfast, when I can then easily move my car when it’s done.
Again, times have changed. More of these kinds of places are aware of the changes going on and have seen the advantages charging brings to their business. 5 years ago things where very different. Without EcoT we would still be looking for the few chargers available.

·
23,001 Posts
Again, times have changed. More of these kinds of places are aware of the changes going on and have seen the advantages charging brings to their business. 5 years ago things where very different. Without EcoT we would still be looking for the few chargers available.
Yeah, but they haven't changed that much. 'A number' of polars (a mere one per site, and not that many sites yet) having sprung up at Holiday Inns, that is all it has taken to get to a 'much better' position. Imagine if there is actually a concerted effort to place them in more locations, more accessible, and more chargers per site to help reduce over-occupation.

Going from 'nothing' to 'one' in a particular stretch of road is a very big deal, it is an infinity% increase, and turns 'impossible' into 'possible'.

·
2,610 Posts
Again it's historical. It was a time when rapids were needed, but not a lot of places would have them. Ikea came forward and provided space. Times change.
I'm fully aware of the history...

...and that doesn't change what IKEA should be looking to do now, and that Electric Highway have become one of the worst proviers...

Yeah, but they haven't changed that much. 'A number' of polars (a mere one per site, and not that many sites yet) having sprung up at Holiday Inns, that is all it has taken to get to a 'much better' position. Imagine if there is actually a concerted effort to place them in more locations, more accessible, and more chargers per site to help reduce over-occupation.

Going from 'nothing' to 'one' in a particular stretch of road is a very big deal, it is an infinity% increase, and turns 'impossible' into 'possible'.
Hundreds, possibly over a thousand by now, new Polar chargers have gone in. When they first announced Ultracharge their plan was 400 in a year IIRC, making them bigger than EH, and they have expanded the scheme a couple of times IIRC. Sure, there's only one per site, but there are typically numerous sites within a very short distance. Availability is generally excellent - in the past year, two of my common long-distance journeys (previously only possible with at least one EH charge) now have numerous different possible routes, in some cases entirely on Polar chargers.

(sorry, if I'm honest I wrote that paragraph thinking you were being more negative on Polar than it seems you actually were!)

There will be regular bigger sites with multiple chargers in good time - we need to get through the growth stage!

·
23,001 Posts
I'm fully aware of the history...

...and that doesn't change what IKEA should be looking to do now, and that Electric Highway have become one of the worst proviers...

Hundreds, possibly over a thousand by now, new Polar chargers have gone in. When they first announced Ultracharge their plan was 400 in a year IIRC, making them bigger than EH, and they have expanded the scheme a couple of times IIRC. Sure, there's only one per site, but there are typically numerous sites within a very short distance. Availability is generally excellent - in the past year, two of my common long-distance journeys (previously only possible with at least one EH charge) now have numerous different possible routes, in some cases entirely on Polar chargers.

(sorry, if I'm honest I wrote that paragraph thinking you were being more negative on Polar than it seems you actually were!)

There will be regular bigger sites with multiple chargers in good time - we need to get through the growth stage!
I don't disagree but the size and dispersal is still insufficient to be considered capable of serving more than a few 10k's of drivers.

The thrust of the debate what that IKEA was one of the few chain locations to fit rapids, and that how good it is that we now have more. I agree it is 'better' but there are still lots of 'holes' and complacency [of those able to influence the direction of it] seems to be the basic problem with EV rollout right now. OLEV could even be rightly renamed "Office for Low Emissions Complacency".

·
Registered
634 Posts
What we need is to get McDonalds on board. Massive company with very deep pockets. Strategically placed sites for road access. Typical stay is very short.

Would probably run into issues with the franchising business model though.

·
23,001 Posts
McDonald's Car parks are mostly too small. Too much lost business.

It is a three-way intractable conflict;-
1) If you have customers with a dwell time of 30 minutes or less and you are packed at peak times, you don't want them there for up to an hour.
2) If you have customers with a dwell time of 30 minutes or more you don't want to hassle them with a 'move it after 30 min' clause
3) If you put in slower chargers you will lose the throughput of customers based on a business model of high flow rate.

There's a few out of town ones that would be viable, but mostly it wouldn't work.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I don't use EH, but frequently at the Edinburgh IKEA I see an EV or PHEV in the bay not even plugged in.

Last time it was a Leaf on the 'Zoe' side of the pump.

Having them as the closest spaces to the front door may have been an interesting advert for EVs back in the day but now it's just an opportunity for dicks to be dicks.

Never actually seen them ICE'd though.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
You did well. The £6 is historical and no longer applies. When EcoT started charging for charging it was £6 per 30 minutes regardless of amount taken (mainly to prevent PHEV using the pumps). This caused a lot of anger and the amount was adjusted. There's been two changes since then and now it is 30 (35?)p per kWh. So your bill was correct and the refund offered was correct.
While I agree with you, but their T&C hasn't changed: Electric vehicle charging - IKEA
After you have charged your electric vehicle on an IKEA site, why not come into the IKEA store and enjoy a £6 discount off your total shop?

All you have to do is show your Ecotricity email receipt (which you will receive after your 45 minute charge) at the checkouts and £6 will be deducted from your total spend*. The discount can only be redeemed in store on the day of the vehicle charge.
So I don't see anything wrong with asking for the full £6 discount.

61 - 80 of 94 Posts
About this Discussion
93 Replies
38 Participants
dkelly84
Speak EV - Electric Car Forums
A community for enthusiasts of all makes and models of EV from BMW to Tesla, Renault, Nissan, Mitsubishi and more. Join the electrifying discussion today!
Full Forum Listing