Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the background is that we're expecting our 4th child and hence need something that can seat 6.
There's a plethora of half decent ICE 6/7 seaters out there to choose from but not many BEVs/PHEVs.

So first question would be (I know, asking on a Tesla Section of the Forum!) what alternatives are there to the Model S that is a PHEV/BEV that seats 6 and has a electric only range of at least 30 miles? I know that rules out the Audi Q7 PHEV which are like hen's teeth anyway and possibly the Outlander too. I don't think the BMW X5 45e comes in 7 seater guise.

That brings me onto the Model S - not that it's second choice, but I just wanted to consider other options too.

Firstly, the rearward facing seats (is that what you call them?), what age/height/weight are they good for? In pics they look like they have harness style seatbelts so does that mean a booster/child seat isn't required?

What year range was the Model S built with 7 seats? I particularly like the Facelift from 2015/16 onwards.

And now for more generic questions re Tesla S...
I've already got a tethered Type 2 Home charger as well as a standalone Type 2 to Type 2 cable. Is it a simple case of buying a Tesla converter that just fixes on the end of the Type 2?

What things are to watch out for/avoid when buying one? What are the desirables/must haves?
These can either be options or model/derivatives

How long is the warranty on them and what are servicing costs/requirements? My nearest dealer is about 20 miles away

Anything else I should consider?
TIA

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,781 Posts
I found the rearward facing seats aren't really any good for anything other than occasional use. Kids get sick or too hot in them on long journeys.

I think the only real option would be a 6/7 seater Model X - can your budget stretch to a 75D?

It would be helpful to know your budget.

All Teslas can use a Type 2 standard cable for charging. No need for an adaptor.

·
Registered
589 Posts
So the background is that we're expecting our 4th child and hence need something that can seat 6.
There's a plethora of half decent ICE 6/7 seaters out there to choose from but not many BEVs/PHEVs.

So first question would be (I know, asking on a Tesla Section of the Forum!) what alternatives are there to the Model S that is a PHEV/BEV that seats 6 and has a electric only range of at least 30 miles? I know that rules out the Audi Q7 PHEV which are like hen's teeth anyway and possibly the Outlander too. I don't think the BMW X5 45e comes in 7 seater guise.

That brings me onto the Model S - not that it's second choice, but I just wanted to consider other options too.

Firstly, the rearward facing seats (is that what you call them?), what age/height/weight are they good for? In pics they look like they have harness style seatbelts so does that mean a booster/child seat isn't required?

What year range was the Model S built with 7 seats? I particularly like the Facelift from 2015/16 onwards.

And now for more generic questions re Tesla S...
I've already got a tethered Type 2 Home charger as well as a standalone Type 2 to Type 2 cable. Is it a simple case of buying a Tesla converter that just fixes on the end of the Type 2?

What things are to watch out for/avoid when buying one? What are the desirables/must haves?
These can either be options or model/derivatives

How long is the warranty on them and what are servicing costs/requirements? My nearest dealer is about 20 miles away

Anything else I should consider?
TIA

Either you don't know the Model X exists or you've discounted it for some reason unknown to us.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found the rearward facing seats aren't really any good for anything other than occasional use. Kids get sick or too hot in them on long journeys.

I think the only real option would be a 6/7 seater Model X - can your budget stretch to a 75D?

It would be helpful to know your budget.

All Teslas can use a Type 2 standard cable for charging. No need for an adaptor.
Either you don't know the Model X exists or you've discounted it for some reason unknown to us.
Aside from me not liking the shape of the Model X, that would be way out my budget range anyway. I'm looking at a budget £35k. Yes I think it's very tight to find a facelift MS and even then a 7 seater. But I did see one on AutoTrader

We don't make many long journeys so I'd like to think the heat (presumably from rear windscreen?) won't be an issue. Watching the drive-by scenery might put their mind off it ;)

Reactions: reserves

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,781 Posts
Aside from me not liking the shape of the Model X, that would be way out my budget range anyway. I'm looking at a budget £35k. Yes I think it's very tight to find a facelift MS and even then a 7 seater. But I did see one on AutoTrader

We don't make many long journeys so I'd like to think the heat (presumably from rear windscreen?) won't be an issue. Watching the drive-by scenery might put their mind off it
I wouldn't discount the pre-facelift cars so long as you can get a service report from Tesla as part of the deal.

Not many other options, apart from the eNV200 Nissan van for 6/7 seats.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wouldn't discount the pre-facelift cars so long as you can get a service report from Tesla as part of the deal.

Not many other options, apart from the eNV200 Nissan van for 6/7 seats.
Ah ok, so that's interesting to know. tesla will offer a service report as optional extra even if you buy/intend to buy from elsewhere?
What does it cover and would they "guarantee" anything based on their report?

Yeh the Nissan is a bit of a Bus!

I'm also seeing waht teh XC90 is like. Battery is a bit small though but depends on efficiency.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,781 Posts
Ah ok, so that's interesting to know. tesla will offer a service report as optional extra even if you buy/intend to buy from elsewhere?
What does it cover and would they "guarantee" anything based on their report?
Sorry, what I was trying to say is either get the vendor to provide you the report from the latest service, or arrange it as part of the deal. This will then show up any issues with warranty or recalls.

The warranty is on the Tesla website and depends on age and mileage.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
The eNV200 is a bit of a bus, but if you already have 3 kids and your expecting a 4th it may be much better suited in terms of getting a baby in and out of the vehicle, and the rest of the family.

Rearward facing seats would also make trips away much harder with a newborn and the kids for anything but the basics unless you really really like tetris style packing when everyone is in the car.
the Model X is very good as it gives that extra space in the back and you can move the seats around.

For a £35k budget i would save the pennies and get a used eNV200 40kwh. the battery is cooled a little as well so helps with longer trips and you have much more space as well for trips.
its not fancy but then do you need all the tesla bells and whistles for a family bus?

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
Beware #Rapidgate and only around 100 miles range as standard with an e-NV200. Below that it's a very practical option.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The eNV200 is a bit of a bus, but if you already have 3 kids and your expecting a 4th it may be much better suited in terms of getting a baby in and out of the vehicle, and the rest of the family.

Rearward facing seats would also make trips away much harder with a newborn and the kids for anything but the basics unless you really really like tetris style packing when everyone is in the car.
the Model X is very good as it gives that extra space in the back and you can move the seats around.

For a £35k budget i would save the pennies and get a used eNV200 40kwh. the battery is cooled a little as well so helps with longer trips and you have much more space as well for trips.
its not fancy but then do you need all the tesla bells and whistles for a family bus?
I couldn’t bring myself round to the idea of a bus. Would much rather get a petrol/diesel SUV with 7 seats.
I’ve no real fascination with a tesla. Just so happens to be the only brand doing a 6 seater that can offer decent mileage, if/when needed.
Even the PHEVs struggle with a real life 30 miles.
Some segments are really uncatered for.
Small hatch/mini has fantastic Zoe, you’ve got your family hatchbacks, saloons & premium and SUVs in either BEV or PHEV form.

Anyway, got best part of 7-8 months yet so will continue to keep eye out for any MXs.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Not personally, but I believe that the solution applied to the LEAF40 was not applied to the e-NV200 40. Here is a thread from a former owner on this forum

40kWh e-NV200 Rapidgate
I dont see any mention of the AC being used... the eNV200 has this built in but from what i have seen when charging you need to then turn it on and set the AC on to cool it down a bit. Also doesnt mention what speeds he was travelling to be getting a battery that warm within 2 rapids to be slowing down that much.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts