Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My 2012 iMiEV shows three warning lights - the red one for the 12v battery, the yellow car shaped one with an exclamation mark for the high voltage battery and the brake warning light. I have charged up the 12v battery but it makes no difference. Any ideas what might be wrong?

I had the car shaped warning light before Christmas and it turned out to be a problem with the PTC heater - cost just under £2.5k (including VAT) to fix. I only picked up the car from the Mitsu dealer on the 15th January and have used it only three times since then - 22 miles in total, including 11 miles to get back from the dealer. I charged it for a couple of hours at the local supermarket, no problem. I charged it again on the same charger (pesky 3kW charge rate makes for frequent charging when you can only do 2 hours at a time) for an hour yesterday and it took charge but when I came to drive away - dead. I plugged the charge cable back in to see what would happen and it wouldn't charge. I took out the 12v battery and charged it at home overnight but in the process lost one of the little adaptors that makes the battery terminal post big enough to fit the clamp so had to buy a new pair - £8.98. But the fully charged 12v battery made no difference; still the same three warning lights.

So now I have my car stuck in the supermarket car park. Again.

My plan is to get the AA to take the car to the dealer again tomorrow. I can't help thinking that the dealer did something wrong when they replaced the PTC heater. But maybe it's just my luck that something else has failed.

Any ideas what I can do to diagnose the problem? Where can I get one of the gadgets that reads the error codes? How much do they cost?

Any advice gratefully accepted.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update.

The AA man plugged in his diagnostic computer and the error code was P1A15 'High voltage supply system monitoring error'. He cleared the code and the car seems to be fine.

The dealer suggests that I stop using that charger, given that the car has twice gone wrong after using it. This seems like a good plan.

I am interested in buying one of the diagnostic gadgets but now nothing about them. What are they called and where do I look to find one?

Thanks

·
Registered
72 Posts
Another one! So now there are three active threads on this Forum, all with the P1A15 error:

And post #55 onwards of this one:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
"Another one ! So now there are three active threads on this Forum, all with rhe P1A15 error:"

I noticed that. I wish I could edit the thread title.

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
"Another one ! So now there are three active threads on this Forum, all with rhe P1A15 error:"

I noticed that. I wish I could edit the thread title.
I hate to say it, but chances are you will be successful at first in clearing the error code and after a while you wont be. Read the other threads then come back and ask any questions left outstanding.

Tiptop, install HOBDRIVE on your Android phone and purchase a compatible OBDII adaptor. With HOBDRIVE you can read the error DTC codes and clear them too!

·
Registered
696 Posts
Hi, i can recommend the icarsoft i909 scanner - costs more than a phone app/dongle but easy to use and reliable. sorry to hear you are having further issues - I very much doubt it is due to the supermarket charger, much more likely the garage has done something wrong in the previous repair or not correctly fixed the issue as having the same fault again would be surprising. Let us know if you need further help/advice, I hate seeing these great cars not being used ! I've even bought a couple where people got fed up with them and got them working eventually !

Cheers.

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
Hi, i can recommend the icarsoft i909 scanner - costs more than a phone app/dongle but easy to use and reliable. sorry to hear you are having further issues - I very much doubt it is due to the supermarket charger, much more likely the garage has done something wrong in the previous repair or not correctly fixed the issue as having the same fault again would be surprising. Let us know if you need further help/advice, I hate seeing these great cars not being used ! I've even bought a couple where people got fed up with them and got them working eventually !

Cheers.
Hi GARY, remind us does the i909 work on the PSA pair of the triplets? Thanks

·
Registered
696 Posts
Hi GARY, remind us does the i909 work on the PSA pair of the triplets? Thanks
No the i909 is Jap models only (Mazda and Mitsubishi). Despite it being the same car it refuses to work (probably vin range check or similar). I tried the PSA version of the icarsoft (i970) on an ion but it didnt work well, the dash lit up like a christmas tree and the car wasnt happy, didnt give any useful information. I dont know if it was trying to talk "Peugeot" to what is really a Mitsubishi. There are more advanced icarsoft models available, presume one of those would work better.

I have an old Diagbox/Lexia adapter and software that work with an old laptop, its a right faff but if I have to I dig those out and brace myself.

Cheers!

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
No the i909 is Jap models only (Mazda and Mitsubishi). Despite it being the same car it refuses to work (probably vin range check or similar). I tried the PSA version of the icarsoft (i970) on an ion but it didnt work well, the dash lit up like a christmas tree and the car wasnt happy, didnt give any useful information. I dont know if it was trying to talk "Peugeot" to what is really a Mitsubishi. There are more advanced icarsoft models available, presume one of those would work better.

I have an old Diagbox/Lexia adapter and software that work with an old laptop, its a right faff but if I have to I dig those out and brace myself.

Cheers!
That's a very helpful clarification Gary. I'm very impressed with the paid version of HOBDRIVE backed up with in my case Diagbox. Unfortunately because my car is 2017, the offline version of Diagbox only covers 99% of issues and who knows for sure what is within that 1%.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi, i can recommend the icarsoft i909 scanner - costs more than a phone app/dongle but easy to use and reliable.
The i909 scanner sounds like a good idea. I have an iPhone and a Chromebook so Android and Windows are alien to me. The icarsoft website says that the i909 has been replaced by the MHM V1.0 but it looks like only the i909 is available on Amazon. Would you recommend finding an MHM V1.0, or should I stick with the i909?

I love my iMiEV. I am very lucky to have the Tamashii option with leather seats and I got it in 2016 as the second owner. I only do about 3k miles per year but they are slow London miles and the iMiEV is just great for slipping through narrow gaps in traffic. I can't understand why Mitsubishi don't make an updated version. With modern batteries and a heat pump it could have twice the range, if not more. I'm hoping to get at least another 5 years out of it. It will still have under 40k miles by then.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tiptop, install HOBDRIVE on your Android phone and purchase a compatible OBDII adaptor. With HOBDRIVE you can read the error DTC codes and clear them too!
The Hobdrive website says that it works on an iPhone but I'm confused by the huge choice of OBD2 ELM327 adaptors. Can you recommend a particular brand or suggest what features to look for? Thanks.

Does anyone else have a view on the choice between an i909 (about £100 delivered) and Hobdrive ($10) plus an OBD2 ELM327 adaptor (range from £10 to £40 on Amazon)?

It does look like I need to expect to have to clear the dreaded P1A15 error code in the future.

·
Registered
696 Posts
The Hobdrive website says that it works on an iPhone but I'm confused by the huge choice of OBD2 ELM327 adaptors. Can you recommend a particular brand or suggest what features to look for? Thanks.

Does anyone else have a view on the choice between an i909 (about £100 delivered) and Hobdrive ($10) plus an OBD2 ELM327 adaptor (range from £10 to £40 on Amazon)?

It does look like I need to expect to have to clear the dreaded P1A15 error code in the future.
I use canion for looking at battery stats but for reliable use, the diagnostic machine plugged in is so much better, you can have issues with bluetooth pairing, etc with the dongles, I get fed up with them so many times and just get the diagostic machine. I have an icarsoft RT for Renaults when I work on a Twizy/Fluence/Zoe and the Mitsu/Mazda i909 one. I bought the i909 2nd hand, it was about £45 and well worth it. I used it last week to clear an airbag light on an i-miev, i'd had the passenger seat out and even with the car off it put the airbag light on, for a cheap diagnostic machine those icarsoft ones are pretty good.

Cheers.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have same fault code and when cleared car runs fine. I too want to be able to read and clear fault codes but also to see battery cell data etc. Can’t get my head around what to get. Hobdrive and obdII dongle and an Android or laptop. (Have an I phone but no android phone) or an i909. I also have a Vauxhall ampera and Renault Zoe in family so ideally would like something I can use for all. To monitor battery SOH etc. My thought was buy an obdlink and load hobdrive onto a phone but advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
I have same fault code and when cleared car runs fine. I too want to be able to read and clear fault codes but also to see battery cell data etc. Can’t get my head around what to get. Hobdrive and obdII dongle and an Android or laptop. (Have an I phone but no android phone) or an i909. I also have a Vauxhall ampera and Renault Zoe in family so ideally would like something I can use for all. To monitor battery SOH etc. My thought was buy an obdlink and load hobdrive onto a phone but advice would be greatly appreciated.
Hi for me, HOBDRIVE as a £10 app (appox) as the marginal cost was a no brainer.
I almost always have my phone with me, I don't carry around a diagnostic laptop!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts