Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Ride at 39 psi is better than Conti Winters at 39 psi. Contis were 155/65 .and 185/55 so effectively same rolling radius.

Handling and steering feel is better, sharper, car feels balanced.

Will give a view on range but with weather warning I suspect battery effects will dominate over tyres.

I managed to get a bargain with the Contis, £25 a corner because they had been mounted so we're classified as demos.

Photo attached is the winters
IMG_20190320_130804.jpg

·
Registered
5 Posts
Would 5.5J x 15 ET45 4 x 100 x 54.1 steel rims from the Toyota Yaris Hatchback II (2006 - 2011) have fitted the rear?

Alcar KFZ 7890 » Steel Wheels » Oponeo.co.uk

And 5J x 15 ET45 4 x 100 x 54.1 steel rims from the Toyota IQ Hatchback I (2008 - 2015) have fitted the front?

Alcar KFZ 7640 » Steel Wheels » Oponeo.co.uk

The appearance of both these rims appears to be similar, and the offsets are the same at 45mm which keeps the difference between the front and rear tracks the same.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
We are lucky that the PCD and bore size is so common...

The IQ Hatchback wheels are of course 54.1 so will need the Mitsubishi shims removed ( no big deal). The ET of 45 is 7 mm more than the Twingo rims and I measured 15mm rim clearance to strut and 12mm tyre clearance to strut, so yes IN THEORY they would work although with minimal clearance. For the rears, I didn't do any measurements but it looked on inspection that there was plenty of room

What tyre choice are you intending to fit on these rims?

With regards to the 165/65 and 185/55 tyres and effect on handling, car can now take A road high speeds bends and twisty bits at proper speeds, feels like a little go cart. Limitations are of course the short travel suspension and certain lack of precision in the steering around center. Actual grip and handling balance is spot on.

·
Registered
519 Posts
This is all very interesting but when i replaced my front tyres for the same size there was only a few mm gap between the front of the tyre and the wheel arch and due to the new tyres being a slightly more square profile they just caught on something on full lock. No way could i fit a bigger tyre. Incidentally the squarer profil much improved the front end handling. It is the rounder profile of the factory tyre fitted that i feel is at play.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Same size being what brand, rating and size???

Was the clearance issue on the front mudguard liner, the one that has to be removed to get at the front fog lights and front daytime running lights?

I'm wondering if the mudguard liner is loose, distorted, missing fasteners etc. There should be plenty of clearance.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
This is all very interesting but when i replaced my front tyres for the same size there was only a few mm gap between the front of the tyre and the wheel arch and due to the new tyres being a slightly more square profile they just caught on something on full lock. No way could i fit a bigger tyre. Incidentally the squarer profil much improved the front end handling. It is the rounder profile of the factory tyre fitted that i feel is at play.
Doesn't sound right - my front tyres have tons of wheel arch clearance even on full lock!

Can you take a picture of where it is almost touching ?

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
@freddym In your searches of wheel rims etc I don't suppose you know how readily available the original rear Peugeot factory alloys are ?

A few days ago I noticed I have highly abnormal wear on my right rear tyre - the outer half of the tyre is normal with still about 4.5mm of tread left after 20k miles however the inside edge is worn down to less than 1mm - but only on about 1/3rd of the circumference! o_O On the rest of the circumference it is about 3.2mm.

Here is the same tyre just rotated 180 degrees between pictures:

IMG_2113.JPG
IMG_2114.JPG

Never seen anything like this before in 25 years of driving! :eek:

Obviously wheel alignment wouldn't cause grossly different wear on different parts of the circumference of the tyre. I was about to moan to the tyre fitter about a defective tyre (as it never completely balanced up and has always had a slight vibration under acceleration) but I then discovered that the rim is bent as well:

I think it must have been bent for a long time now, perhaps before the tyre went on or even before I got the car! So now I'm up for a new wheel rim and a new tyre before next winter. (It's OK to drive on at the moment but I don't fancy driving next winter with half of the inner winter tread pattern missing...)

Checked the inside and outside of the other three wheel rims (and the tyre treads) and they're all fine.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
After a series of trips on tight twisty roads, with up and down crests and plenty of off camber bends, decreasing radius turns etc, effectively the Conti Combo 165/60 and 185/55 turns the iMiev clone into a completely different car.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Brilliant, ordinarily I’d try this too but wasted to much time and money on doing this to previous off roaders and cars. Wifey has other plans for my spare cash... cheers

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
All other cars, about 12 off all new over last twenty years have been kept strictly factory specification.

What prompted me to change was my wife's use of the car. She drives it fast on rural roads and basically I was worried she would lose it on a corner.

Sorry to sound like a cracked record, but essentially it is a totally different car now.

By the way, I did a 60 mile hilly trip yesterday, half of that driven very fast, arrived back with 8 miles which is very good for a 80 cell clone

·
Registered
222 Posts
Thinking about ordering the twingo wheels and tyres mentioned as the original rears are on the way out.

@freddym did you make new centering rings to fit the oversized steel wheels?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Yes, from memory Twingo wheels are 60.1mm center bore. I used plastic centering rings, eg from Devon Wheels. Since the plastic rings are intended to be used with thick alloy wheels, trimming with a sharp plastic knife ( or sharp tool in a lathe) is necessary.

With a steel rim any plastic aero trim can be used.

Alex, your rear undertray is doing a great job of keeping road dirt and spray out of the motor compartment.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts