Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported 2011 I Miev from Japan.
It came with 110v cables.
Purchased voltec 13amp 240v charger in UK.

The car came off the vessel with flat 12v battery. Jump started it and came to life with ready and it drives too. Although the battery gauge is blinking.

I replace the 12v battery today with yuasa 12v 054 type battery.

Connected charger cable and nothing is happening. No lights on dashboard.

Any ideas what would be wrong please?

Thank you all.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Japanese domestic electricity is 100V so I am guessing Japanese Domestic Models have an Onboard Charger configured for 110/100 Volts????

Does the car have Chademo DC charging? on the left side. If yes get it charged up on DC and take it from there.

Is it an X or G model?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The cables that came with the car had 20a 250v max written on them. I thought these plugs come in 3 categories and is internationally recognised.
1. 110v
2. 250v
3. Chademo charging on the left.

Have a look at plug that came with it

UK is 250v

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Your reply makes no sense: what Chademo plug are you talking about?

Have a look... are you intending to post a photo of what the JDM car came with.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Imported 2011 I Miev from Japan.
It came with 110v cables.
Purchased voltec 13amp 240v charger in UK.

The car came off the vessel with flat 12v battery. Jump started it and came to life with ready and it drives too. Although the battery gauge is blinking.
Can you post a picture of the AC charging socket of the car and the charger you bought, as well as the one that came with the car ?

Japanese domestic electricity is 100V so I am guessing Japanese Domestic Models have an Onboard Charger configured for 110/100 Volts????
As far as I'm aware, all i-Miev's support both 110v and 240v AC. For example the household EVSE in the USA model will charge at 110v from a wall socket, (Level 1 charge) but also from 240v AC. (Level 2)

What it might be is that very early Japan only i-Miev's did not actually incorporate the now standard J1772 EVSE protocol!

The very very early ones (pre-market demo units from Japan around 2008-2009) didn't even have a J1772 connector at all, instead they had a round 3 pin connector with a kind of rotating locking mechanism, and did not require any EVSE at all - just a 3 wire cable from a regular 3 pin power plug to this custom 3 pin round plug.

If you check the very old Full Charged video on the i-Miev from about 2009 I think it has a picture of this weird connector.

Slightly later ones switched to the regular J1772 connector but did NOT implement the J1772 protocol - in other words it had no connection for the CP and PP signals and expected a permanently live AC supply on the L, N and E pins. So despite having a J1772 connector it would not charge with a regular J1772 EVSE because there is no communication on the control lines so the EVSE won't engage the contactors.

Forum member Desserper had a 2009 i-Miev that had this design - his car came with a special passthrough cable (basically 3 pin to J1772 with no EVSE, only connecting the AC lines) to allow charging from a regular house socket, and then a Type 2 to 3 pin "reverse EVSE" (which allows normal 3 pin appliances to run off a Type 2 charging socket) to allow him to use public Type 2 charge points.

Another possibility of course is that the onboard charger is faulty! Having the fault codes read might reveal whether this is the case.
Does the car have Chademo DC charging? on the left side. If yes get it charged up on DC and take it from there.
Good idea - if the traction battery is down to 2 bars or less and there is a Chademo rapid close by (or the car can be towed there) I would be inclined to get that battery charged up to 80%, so that it doesn't continue to discharge with no way to charge it and end up being bricked.

Getting it charged up to 80% would gives some time to work on the problem.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Does anyone have 1st hand experience of charging at home in Japan. Domestic outlets are ,a weird 100V. To charge at home I suspect the utility must upgrade supply to provide a voltage across phases 200V. This would probably still be outwith European / UK voltage spec limits

Best place to find out more info is the Australian and NZ forums as there are a lot of JDM imports to those countries.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Found the fully charged video. This is from 2010 - check at 2:41 into the video where he plugs the car into his garage - it's a J1772 connector but no EVSE! (Same as Desserper's car)

These very early models will not charge from a modern regular J1772 EVSE.

BTW I'm pretty sure these test cars shown in the fully charged video are Japanese spec cars only temporarily shipped to the UK then returned again a year later in this video:

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
I bought voltec charger .It has 3 pin UK plug.

Cable that came with car is attached
Is there any large block in the middle of the original cable with lights and buttons or is it literally just a cable with a plug on each end ?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1.There are no blocks in the cable.. Its just plugs on either end. It came with the car.

2. I bought one in UK which was a 3 pin UK plug, a block with led and plug end that goes in the car.

Is it safe to plug the JDM cable directly into UK mains 240v?

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
1.There are no blocks in the cable.. Its just plugs on either end. It came with the car.
In that case your car will be one of the very early cars that doesn't support modern EVSE's, it requires a direct pass through cable as shown in that forum link in my previous post, and in the Fully Charged video.
2. I bought one in UK which was a 3 pin UK plug, a block with led and plug end that goes in the car.
Hence it won't work with this car unfortunately. The EVSE won't see the signals its expecting so won't engage the contactors.
Is it safe to plug the JDM cable directly into UK mains 240v?
That's a good question. Assuming that the on board charger does support both 110v and 240v then in theory you would just need to change the Japanese 3 pin plug on your original cable to a UK 3 pin plug and it should work.

However keep in mind that without an EVSE you would need to follow certain safety precautions when using the cable - don't leave it plugged in and switched on at the house end when not plugged into the car as the pins on the car end plug will be live, which is NOT the case with any normal EVSE charging cable where the AC pins are never live when not connected to the car.

You would always want to plug it into the car first before turning on the power at the house plug end both for safety and also to avoid any arcing on the socket.

Unfortunately I can't answer whether your car will charge OK from 240 volts without damage - I've done a bit of digging but can't find out for certain whether the early Japanese spec cars supported 240 volts.

So you might want to do some research of your own first.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Note JDM is not 110/240.

Voltage is 100/200 and who knows what the tolerances are.
As I said earlier, I'm pretty sure that all i-Miev chargers are "world" chargers that will handle 100v to 240v, 50/60Hz but I'm just not certain enough to recommend trying it without further research.

One thing that might be worth Japjun doing is checking the onboard charger for any stickers reporting the operating voltage. It's the left large box in the following picture after removing the cover in the boot:

Not sure if the voltage will be on the sticker, but if a model number of the unit can be found maybe this can be checked online or compared against UK cars to see if it supports 240v.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Does the car have Chademo. Topping up the traction battery with DC would be a good 1st step towards getting the car recommissioned, especially as we know the onboard chargers can easily be faulty.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
The JDM plug has 250v written on it.
Can you show a picture of where it says 250v ?

It might just be the rating of the plug itself, it doesn't necessarily mean the car can also take 250v. Also that plug looks like it isn't the original plug and someone has fitted it to the cable. (Original plug is almost certainly a moulded plug not one with screw clamps as shown in your earlier picture)

1 - 20 of 53 Posts