Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been experiencing this issue randomly, when I plug the car in (sometimes) it will start charging immediately, ignoring the scheduled timer that is set.

The top button (scheduled charging) is lit, and the LED instantly goes to the slow pulsing green light (charging) when I plug it in at night.

I have to unplug it and plug it back in and then it does the quick blinking green light (timer enabled).

This only happens sometimes, I plan on recording a video of this weird behavior as well.

Is anyone else experiencing this? I only have one timer setup for everyday 12AM-8AM, and generally plug the car in around 9-10PM before I go to bed.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Even with a timer set, the car will charge to a minimum level straight away. Then sit and wait for the x hours before departure before starting to finish off the charge to then be 100%.

If the car settings has minimum charge 100%, then even if you set a 7am time departure, at 9pm the night before when you plug in the car will start charging immediately to that 100% level.

If the car setting has minimum charge 20%, and battery is below that, then at 9pm it will charge up to 20% , then stop.
Then around 5-530am it will start charging the remainder it needs to , to hit 100% by your 7am departure wish.

So I think check what battery level you have when you plug in ... and see if it's above/below whatever minimum charge level is set. The random ness you see could be due to sometimes the car being below the min level ( so it does something immediately ) and sometimes being a higher % left, and so it does nothing immediately.
I think the factory default is min charge 100%.

I think you're expecting a behaviour of " Regardless of the state of battery when I plug in, if Timer X is set do nothing until the required backwards-worked-time-from-7am to charge it to 100% by 7am ".
In which case you want a min charge level set to 0%.

on the VW equiv you can see (& change) these values both when sat in the car, and on the website / mobile-device-app.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Note this will catch you out ( setting min charge to 0% ) if one day you've a Mon-Fri program set but on Weds you arrive home 2miles battery left and want to go out in the evening on electrons only , you plug in, and of course it sits there doing nothing as you told it min-charge 0% and the timer is still active. You go inside, come out a couple of hours later and swear anglo-saxons as it hasn't charged for your evening drive.
#GotTheTeeShirt

1 - 3 of 3 Posts