Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
SU-EV convert
Jaguar iPace 2020
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The EV range estimation drops by around 8 miles as soon as I put the aircon on. I looks very pessimistic to me as it is essentially a heat pump and if anything, should cause less of a hit on range than the electric heater.

Has anyone seen what the real EV range drop is with the aircon on and does it tally with the estimate the car gives?

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
It's interesting how different cars estimate the effect of changes; it looks like LEAF owners take the estimate with a very large pinch of salt. I do find the Ampera pretty accurate with its estimate but it doesn't drop the moment you switch on aircon. It does however give you a graphical representation of your driving style and your climate power.

With a Rex though, it's more for interest whereas it's more of a miles vs comfort decision on an all electric. Doubt most rex owners would sit there sweating (or freezing) for the sake of a bit of ev range or petrol.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
@h8ten makes a point about heat going up. When I drove an ICE I drove almost always with AC on. When I started with the LEAF I stopped doing so because of the impact on range. In the summer I have found that I have not used the AC - hardly at all and still been very comfortable. I assume that the fact that I don't have an engine heating air coming towards my passenger cabin that I need this so much less

1 - 4 of 4 Posts