Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Sorry for the double post (I posted the question in icebreakers, but thought it needed a proper title in the main forum)

We are a Swedish/Norwegian family living in London, but moving back to Norway in 6 months, and I'm considering the possibilty of bringing back a Nissan Leaf (or possibly other electric car) when we move back.

I've been looking for Left Hand Drive Leafs, but they seem nowhere to be found in the UK. (If you know where to look, please help!)

Now I'm thinking of importing one either from Europe or possibly the US where they are much cheaper.

Does anyone on the forum have any knowledge or experience of importing an EV to the UK?

Thanks!

Chris

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
Aren't the incentives on EVs so much better in Norway?
No VAT, better subsidies etc?
I'd have thought it simply wouldn't be worthwhile buying one here.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's definitely much cheaper to buy a used one from the US, and it looks like it may even be the case in Europe. Incentives are good for Norway for sure, but a large part of them are road tolls, road tax etc. Buying new the math may look different but I'm looking at used ones.

·
Super Moderator
12,189 Posts
WELCOME!

I am an American Ex-pat living in the UK.

I

If you import a LEAF from outside the EU, you will have to pay customs clearance fees, 10% import duty and 20% VAT.

Shipping isn't too expensive. 8 years ago it was about £1000 door to port. Port to port is cheaper but then you need someone to drive the car to a port in the US. Best to get a quote.

Taxes + shipping might be larger than any savings. You also will have a US Built LEAF. They aren't 100% identical to the Sunderland built cars. DOn't assume all the parts will interchange. Nissan has been known to be tricky about coding some modules so that they don't work. -- UK parts prices are much higher.

You might be able buy a Norway registered car, register it in your name in Norway and use it here for six months. You should be able to get around paying tax here since you are taking back to Norway in less than a year.

Double check. I've never read up on doing that.

Also double check that you won't have to pay tax twice if you bring car over from America. I remember when we moved to the UK, we could bring a car in tax free, but only if we'd owned it for more than a year.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
You will have to chage lights etc to EU parts. The rear of US cars simply has red lights and the same unit is used for brakes and indicators, so you will probably need new light clusters, and some additional wiring, possibly even a rear loom and some ECU charges. WIth an EU version its so much easier. You also dont have to get the Type approval requirements that a US car has to have. Also parts will be different in many ways with the US car.
Its worth paying more to get a EU spec car.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Isn't the charging standard different in the US? Not for CHAdeMO that Nissan uses, but the CCS uses type 1 in the US I'm told.

·
Registered
5,280 Posts
Isn't the charging standard different in the US? Not for CHAdeMO that Nissan uses, but the CCS uses type 1 in the US I'm told.
Leafs don't have CCS so not relevant, and UK Leafs use type 1 connectors in any case. US charging brick wouldn't be any use here so you would have to replace with a UK one, and get a type 2 to type 1 cable if you want to use public non-rapid chargers.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts