Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf 24 2014
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Try as I might, I am unable to actually sign up to an account - even if I match passwords to the specification and so on. I get telt to enter a password matching a specfication that I've already matched.
Being a programmer I looked at the fields and they have regex's for checking: I've copied them out and checked against what I am entering (for example, the password MAX length is 31 but you are not told this) and my entries pass - that doesn't mean that it's accepted at the database end of course. (The regex's are not quite correct either).

Anyone any hints? I've considered repeatedly slamming my hand in a drawer as a better experience already.

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
The You+Nissan page is pretty shit when it comes to login and authentication. Welcome to the fold...

I assume you are trying to go to Sign in | You+Nissan customer portal in a normal desktop browser ? It's necessary to create an account through the website and add your car to the account via the website before you can log in using the same credentials on the phone apps. (Also you need to use the right app for the age of the car, as the necessary app to use changes around mid 2018 part way into the run of the Leaf 2 - for a 2014 Leaf the correct app is "NissanConnect EV")

It sounds like you're having trouble at step 1 though. As for password specifications, I usually find there are several "hidden" requirements for passwords on many websites, such as not including sequential numbers, not including part of the username in the password etc...sometimes it can be hard to figure out what these hidden requirements are.

Rather than trying to create your own password I would use a random password generator that can make passwords meeting certain criteria then keep re-generating the password until you find one it accepts. I use Lastpass and find the built in password generator great for this. Some websites are truly awful for handling passwords.

My You+Nissan password just has random uppercase letters, lowercase letters, punctuation and numbers and is 10 characters long and I don't remember having much trouble getting the website to accept it. I have had problems with some websites with passwords longer than 12 characters even when they claim to support longer, so I tend to stick to around 10-12 characters. As long as they're randomly generated it should still be strong enough.

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf 24 2014
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My You+Nissan password just has random uppercase letters, lowercase letters, punctuation and numbers and is 10 characters long and I don't remember having much trouble getting the website to accept it.
Yes, it's step 1: I cannot sign up from a desktop to even create the account. Tried different browsers, passwords, email addresses the lot, following instructions from the contact at nissan (via the chat) and also the hints and tips on here (speakEV).

I manage to get past the password issues but then get a "We're sorry - a server error has occurred".

That was when I entered both telephone numbers - although the regex for those claims you should prefix with +44 (or whatever).

What larks!

P.S. I build systems like this for a living. Well, not like THIS. Working ones.

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
I manage to get past the password issues but then get a "We're sorry - a server error has occurred".
Ah, the dreaded "we're sorry - a server error has occurred".

Unfortunately this is very common on the You+Nissan website, although having said that I just logged in successfully to my account now. I encountered this error a lot randomly when I was trying to get my account set up and car added to the account.

Unfortunately you'll just have to try a bit later - give it a few hours and try again, or keep refreshing.

If it's any consolation, once you get your car successfully added to the account and are then able to log into it via the NissanConnect EV app, the app logging in is far more reliable - it seems to be able to log in and function even when the You+Nissan website is returning server errors!

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
8,777 Posts
Worth also trying the 'forgot password' link with your chosen email in case they've created half an account.

I have a vague memory that one of the special characters that it shows as acceptable actually isn't so it barfs on passwords with it in. I'm sure I had hassle when I set up the account for the leaf when I had one. Seems they weren't arsed to fix it.

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf 24 2014
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Worth also trying the 'forgot password' link with your chosen email in case they've created half an account.

I have a vague memory that one of the special characters that it shows as acceptable actually isn't so it barfs on passwords with it in. I'm sure I had hassle when I set up the account for the leaf when I had one. Seems they weren't arsed to fix it.
Thanks to both of you - I'll both wait and also ask for the reset password.

It's not like this on Star Trek.

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf 24 2014
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to both of you - I'll both wait and also ask for the reset password.

It's not like this on Star Trek.
Right, it turns out that you MUST NOT USE SPACES in the password. Handy of the page to not tell you at all (and as I said, the regex on the field fails to test for that). Am now signed up, but hopefully this will help others.

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
Right, it turns out that you MUST NOT USE SPACES in the password. Handy of the page to not tell you at all (and as I said, the regex on the field fails to test for that). Am now signed up, but hopefully this will help others.
Hmm, I would never try to use spaces in a password, whether it's technically legal or not...

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf 24 2014
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmm, I would never try to use spaces in a password, whether it's technically legal or not...
They are valid characters and permit passphrases ('The violin is broken') - every time characters are restricted it decreases the strength of the password, it doesn't increase it. Length is all.

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf 24 2014
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a feeling it didn't like underscores either.
Yes, it appears to have been designed by a madman / woman implemented by a sadist and been maintained by Mr Bean. If it were less pretty and more instructive (like actually telling you the requirements) it would help. Perhaps it's a foreunner of Soduku.

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf 24 2014
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would like to add: the help from Olivia on the support line at Nissan has been outstanding, including telephoning me in the evening to get extra information. The issue is with the web-site and so on, not support (thought I'd add that).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts