Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Vauxall Corsa E
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a look at this yesterday at local Vauxhall dealer, it being one new EV that, at least on paper, would fit on my driveway so that I could charge it. Width is a particular problem for me. To charge a car I need to park it between the house and the boundary fence, neither movable and be able to open at least one door (just doable with the old LEAF, I'm told the new LEAF is wider). I took a short test drive.

It's a nice looking car, but disappointingly expensive. There are two models, the better equipped one a gnats whisker less that £30K, the no-frills a couple of grand less. Previous publicity suggested a much lower price-point.

The salesman thought it was 70KwH, but when he looked it up that was a future model (without a date attached), the version on sale at the moment is 50KwH.

The thing that caught me out on the test drive was the ferocity of the mechanical brakes, which seem even fiercer than a Ford. Just breath on the brake pedal and it will jerk to stop. Like the LEAF it has a B and D mode, but judging by the sensitivity of the brake pedal I suspect that, unlike the LEAF, the brake pedal is purely mechanical. On the LEAF it seems that a light touch, in either mode, uses the regenerative braking system and only harder braking brings the disc brakes into action.

The one I tried had a lane tracking assist, but no adaptive cruise control, and no auto-park The adaptive cruise and automatic braking are mentioned on the web site, but I'm not sure if they are available on the UK version..

It's got three driving modes - Sport, Normal and Eco. I haven't found the LEAF's eco very useful, just driving conservatively has the same effect without interfering with, say, overtaking.

·
Registered
2020 Vauxall Corsa E
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Certainly looks the same, and the Peugeot seems cheaper. Crucially - same width

·
Registered
Corsa-e Elite 2020
239 Posts
Lol. I went the for the corsa. Hopefully arriving soon. I liked both but prefer the corsa, i prefer the way the 10” screen is integrated in the dash rather than stuck on top like most cars at the moment. And also the fact that the opel garage gave me a much better offer for my year old a-class merc. Surprisingly the corsa has as much if not more tech than my merc. Would have liked adaptive cruise control though, not bothered about parking pilot. The corsa is also very comfy. I will miss the cream leather interior of my merc though but wanted to try ev.

·
Registered
Corsa-e Elite 2020
239 Posts
Was thinking I was the only person here in Ireland who is buying the corsa version - most people seem to prefer the Peugeot but looking at the new car registrations for July there has been 52 corsa-e registered and 35 208's. not bad , although the Zoe was the best seller with 112.

·
Registered
2021 Corsa-e
130 Posts
Some of my first impressions here...

The B mode regen is nice, but does cause the nose to dip quite a bit.
The brakes are a bit spongey at first, but in general I like their performance.

·
Registered
2021 Corsa-e
130 Posts
Was thinking I was the only person here in Ireland who is buying the corsa version - most people seem to prefer the Peugeot but looking at the new car registrations for July there has been 52 corsa-e registered and 35 208's. not bad , although the Zoe was the best seller with 112.
Being an owner of a 2015 Peugeot 208, I would prefer the e208 over the Corsa,
if they were equally priced and specced.
But here the Corsa-e is actually a better deal, being higher spec and a bit lower price than the e208.
I'm guessing that since the same dealer (actually importer) sells both, they are trying to revive the Opel brand (Vauxhall in the UK) locally, since it has been pretty much a dead brand in recent years.
Peugeot has improved its reputation and demand here in Israel, mainly due to their great 3008 SUV, and now the 2008 SUV. I think this caused the dealer to hike up the prices too, putting Peugeot as a more premium brand, opposed to Opel. Just like the VAG Group, where VW is the higher quality brand, Skoda the "peoples" brand, and Seat being the "youthful" one.

I decided to wait a few months, after some of the hype will fade away, hoping that prices will drop too. I'm also afraid of being a first adopter of these newer models, waiting for the manufacturers to sort out some the bugs and glitches first.

·
Registered
2020 Vauxall Corsa E
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
First Serious Drive

Got my Corsa-E on Friday, on time for my weekend trip down from York to Birmingham (I claim support bubble business).

First problem, within an hour of getting the car delivered I set the alarm off twice. The boot latch is rubbish on this car. You have to slam it at neighbour-annoying sound levels before the car recognises it as shut, and if it's not shut then the central locking doesn't operate, and if you walk away from the unlocked car then it get's a kind of separation anxiety and the alarm goes off.

This is a car that unlocks itself when the key approaches, locks again when you walk away. Watch the door mirrors. When the mirrors are open so is the car. It also makes a satisfied double beep when it locks itself. One problem is that I park my car close to the house and if I use the bathroom sink with the key in my pocket that is close enough to unlock the car. I'm either going to have to stop carrying the key in my pocket, or make some imaginative use of aluminium foil.There's also the consideration that car thieves sometimes amplify the key signal so as to unlock the car with a key that is actually in the house.At night I keep my keys in a copper bowl. I may get a small metal key safe.

Central locking also locks a charging connector in place, which makes sense. Slightly annoying that if you approach the car from the rear when connected you aren't close enough to unlock it, so you have to walk up to the passenger door and back before removing the plug.

Now the battery wasn't maxed out when I set off, so I had some uncertainty about range. From the start, the predicted range indicator has been totally confusing. It seems to go down very rapidly when it's high, then slow down when it gets to around 70. Comparing it to the sat nav miles to go figure can be quite alarming. Starting off at 165, with 85 actual miles to go, for the first miles the predicted range seemed to be tracking double the miles-to-go, i.e. going down two miles for every mile travelled. At some points it would suddenly jump down around five miles. On another occasion it suddenly increased about five miles. Doing Trowel to Hopwood the predicted range was initially about 105 more than the actual distance. By the time I actually arrived it was around 50. Particularly annoying because I found the CCS charger at Hopwood was out of order. I've sent all these comments to Vauxhall asking if they're care to say what algorithm the predicted range in predicted on. I doubt they'll tell me but if they do I'll share. It seems more non-linear than the old fashioned fuel gauges.

My impression so far: After a charge the reading is distinctly optimistic, until you start driving at which point it goes pessimistic, until you get down the the last few tens of miles.

Best charging speed I've observed so far about 65 Kw, on Instavolt but the worst DC speed was around 30 on a different Instavolt.

There was some talk that the charging display in the car was transitory. I found it excellent.

The charging rate in miles per hours is particularly useful, though I'd prefer Kw. The customary animation is obviously a waste of screen territory.

What else? Well it's got about the smallest glove compartment I ever saw. When you open it it looks like there's plenty of space, but if you put anything much in it won't close.

·
Super Moderator
11,648 Posts
The boot latch is rubbish on this car. You have to slam it at neighbour-annoying sound levels before the car recognises it as shut, and if it's not shut then the central locking doesn't operate, and if you walk away from the unlocked car then it get's a kind of separation anxiety and the alarm goes off.
Sounds like the latch is out of adjustment. Best to take to a nearby dealer and have them look at it.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,582 Posts
You should be able to turn off proximity unlock in the settings. The earlier cars don't have it. Hopefully it will still lock as you walk away....

I assume the permanent charging screen is also a change as the early cars you can only see it with the door open or for a short time when it's first plugged in.

·
Registered
2020 Vauxall Corsa E
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You should be able to turn off proximity unlock in the settings. The earlier cars don't have it. Hopefully it will still lock as you walk away....

I assume the permanent charging screen is also a change as the early cars you can only see it with the door open or for a short time when it's first plugged in.
You can see it as long as you're charging with the power off.

·
Registered
Corsa-e 2020
326 Posts
Interesting. Same version but the older versions don’t have these improvements or bug fixes. I’ll ask the dealer if there’s anything they’ve been told about that is available for retrofit.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts