Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a look at this yesterday at local Vauxhall dealer, it being one new EV that, at least on paper, would fit on my driveway so that I could charge it. Width is a particular problem for me. To charge a car I need to park it between the house and the boundary fence, neither movable and be able to open at least one door (just doable with the old LEAF, I'm told the new LEAF is wider). I took a short test drive.

It's a nice looking car, but disappointingly expensive. There are two models, the better equipped one a gnats whisker less that £30K, the no-frills a couple of grand less. Previous publicity suggested a much lower price-point.

The salesman thought it was 70KwH, but when he looked it up that was a future model (without a date attached), the version on sale at the moment is 50KwH.

The thing that caught me out on the test drive was the ferocity of the mechanical brakes, which seem even fiercer than a Ford. Just breath on the brake pedal and it will jerk to stop. Like the LEAF it has a B and D mode, but judging by the sensitivity of the brake pedal I suspect that, unlike the LEAF, the brake pedal is purely mechanical. On the LEAF it seems that a light touch, in either mode, uses the regenerative braking system and only harder braking brings the disc brakes into action.

The one I tried had a lane tracking assist, but no adaptive cruise control, and no auto-park The adaptive cruise and automatic braking are mentioned on the web site, but I'm not sure if they are available on the UK version..

It's got three driving modes - Sport, Normal and Eco. I haven't found the LEAF's eco very useful, just driving conservatively has the same effect without interfering with, say, overtaking.

·
Registered
Corsa-e Elite 2020
102 Posts
Lol. I went the for the corsa. Hopefully arriving soon. I liked both but prefer the corsa, i prefer the way the 10” screen is integrated in the dash rather than stuck on top like most cars at the moment. And also the fact that the opel garage gave me a much better offer for my year old a-class merc. Surprisingly the corsa has as much if not more tech than my merc. Would have liked adaptive cruise control though, not bothered about parking pilot. The corsa is also very comfy. I will miss the cream leather interior of my merc though but wanted to try ev.

·
Registered
Corsa-e Elite 2020
102 Posts
Was thinking I was the only person here in Ireland who is buying the corsa version - most people seem to prefer the Peugeot but looking at the new car registrations for July there has been 52 corsa-e registered and 35 208's. not bad , although the Zoe was the best seller with 112.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts