Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,096 Posts
Nice!

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
349 Posts
Yes, that does look impressive. Built like a brick it seems. Amazing how far crash protection has come in a relatively short period of time.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Yes, that does look impressive. Built like a brick it seems. Amazing how far crash protection has come in a relatively short period of time.
True, but I still would not like to try it out in my car. All these crashes are at relative low speed 50 - 60 kph and I think the 5 star system gives people over confidence in the safety of their cars. Any crash over 50 kph will be potential fatal, because the internal body organs move inside the body and there is no system to currently stop this from happening. Often the person does not seem to have any external injuries but dies from unseen internal injuries.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,096 Posts
That went dark quickly. ;)

But the standards are there for a reason. If you try to build for max speed crash, you would run out of steam pretty quick. That is why the focus is on prevention, or reducing impact at best.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
349 Posts
True, but I still would not like to try it out in my car. All these crashes are at relative low speed 50 - 60 kph and I think the 5 star system gives people over confidence in the safety of their cars. Any crash over 50 kph will be potential fatal, because the internal body organs move inside the body and there is no system to currently stop this from happening. Often the person does not seem to have any external injuries but dies from unseen internal injuries.
Well that cheered me up :sneaky:

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
18,616 Posts
They need to bring back Mr Paperclip:

“You look like you’re about to have a crash, do you want some help with this?”

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
2,334 Posts
I'm sure that this happens. But how often?
At speeds higher than the tests, there's going to be serious intrusion into the passenger compartment and even complete collapse of the safety cell. Plenty of opportunities for mechanical damage to the occupants.

I do agree - don't try this at home!

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
30,243 Posts
Crash helmets needed next, as most common actual cause of death is head injury.

Indeed. I was particularly interested in the pole test, the Ampera was the first to ever 'pass' the test AFAIK and now many can, it seems.

Better to have internal injuries to deal with than a trapped corpse in a mangled mess, I think?

·
30,243 Posts
Crash helmets needed next, as most common actual cause of RTA death is now head injury, rather than steering columns through the chest, crushed legs and femoral artery haemorrhage, and such of old.

Indeed. I was particularly interested in the pole test, the Ampera was the first to ever 'pass' the test AFAIK and now many can, it seems.

hmmm... :unsure: ... Better to have internal injuries to deal with than a trapped corpse in a mangled mess, I think?

Cars are so tough now that many can escape external injuries before reaching over about 25g where most folks hearts are physically ripped off their arteries.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
18,616 Posts
Crash helmets needed next, as most common actual cause of death is head injury.
Again, you're commenting without looking at the data.

It's actually neck/spinal injuries which are the problem. Which is why all drivers should be forced to wear a full HANS device.

Also, a spike should be mounted on the steering wheel as a deterrent to speeding.

·
30,243 Posts
Again, you're commenting without looking at the data.

It's actually neck/spinal injuries which are the problem. Which is why all drivers should be forced to wear a full HANS device.

Also, a spike should be mounted on the steering wheel as a deterrent to speeding.
Fair play. It was head injuries last time I looked, but yeah, just add a shoulder brace to the helmet design. Bonza idea.

Or maybe there is some attachment means at the back of the helmet attached to a cable that comes out of the headrest, that like a seatbelt can reel in and out normally but locks up in a crash?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts