Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 307 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Something I find pretty poor is the low light coverage when driving at night.

Has anyone successfully improved this.

I have used in the past Osram night breaks with some improvement. Wondering if they would be worth installing them in the Ampera?

TIA

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
Has been much discussion about this serious issue. Some like HIDs - expensive but apparently very good. Some (e.g. me) like LED bulbs - migt not be strictly legal acc to the letter of the law, but I'd rather not have the accident in the first place. And I'm prepared to argue the technicalities with anyone in a court of law, if it ever comes to that. Some are happy with Osram nightbreakers, though the improvement isn't sufficient for safe driving at night imho.

Read up here!
Finally !!! The ULTIMATE headlight system upgrade, pictures included !!!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.

I am all pro LEDs but havent had any good improvement in converting halogen headlights.

Will read up.

TIA

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
I have HIDs fitted and they're significantly better than the halogens that were in previously.
Be aware that retrofitted HIDs won't get you through an MOT test.
Mine has had HIDs for a few years now and sails through the MOT.
I note from reading the tech specs for LEDs and HIDs that they have similar light output.

I bought some LED's a year or so ago but never replaced my HIDs due to the above reason plus many LEDs seem to have a very short life compared to quality HIDs which have been around for donkeys years.
They are as plug and play as the LEDs and surprisingly cooler.

I have no connection to them but have bought a few sets from HIDS4U so would recommend them against cheaper Ebay suppliers.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I have just bought a set of HIDS4U HIDs for my Volt. Plan to fit them this weekend and will report back.
Russ, where did your stick your ballasts etc? I have three little boxes to hide!

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Three little boxes? You only have two headlamps! Just stick them to any useful bodywork.
You will need to cut a 25mm or so hole in each removable seal plug behind the headlamps but the moulded grommet will seal it up again.

It is largely plug and play with the power taken from the bulb plug. On the ones I had the lamp didn't power up until I swapped the pins as the Amp/Volt polarity is different to the kits.

It is reverse polarity protected so test a bulb before you start. I think I just pushed the pins out with long nosed pliers to swap them.

Point the car against a wall or wooden sheet to mark where the beams are before you start.
It is then dead easy to aim the new beams after swapping them.

Welcome to still marginal in my mind but safer driving.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I currently have these fitted (this is not a recommendation nor an endorsement as I know buying stuff direct from China spooks some people):

Pair NightEye COB LED Car Headlights 9005 9006 H4 H7 H11 Bulbs Lamps 72W 9000LM 6500K

The light output is definitely better than the Osram Nightbreakers they replaced and I have had them fitted for about 2 months now with no issues. That said, I had a new Corsa as a courtesy car a few weeks ago and even then the full beams were an order of magnitude better.

I've ordered a 55W HID kit to see if that improves them further, and am considering fitting a set of driving lights as well.

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
Hmm, these look interesting - I like the fact the LEDs are on 2 separate bits of metal (or largeish L-section) - should help get the heat out. Also the fan at the back is nice, assuming it's got half-decent bearings in! The way the LEDs are spatially separated a bit more than mine might mean there's a wider spread of light, also they're 72W versus my 40W (20/bulb) so that also sounds nice. Worth a punt at £18 I think! Thx for the pointer.

So I've ordered a pair. You have to select the specific fitting at the checkout stage, where you can select "edit" to choose. I've gone for the "9006" option - I think this is the closest match. Am expecting to have to trim off a tiny bit of plastic to get it to fit in, see this rather blurry pic where I've marked the area with tippex at bottom-right:
upload_2018-11-22_11-51-53.jpeg

edit: items are out of stock until 12 Dec 2018 expected availability.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
That said, I had a new Corsa as a courtesy car a few weeks ago and even then the full beams were an order of magnitude better.
The luxury of having focused seperate main beams with dips left on as well.
This crazy design on the Volt/Amp with single halogen projectors with tiny reflectors leaves you in the dark compared to virtually any other cars on the road both old and new.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
My ballast is identical but I have these other two boxes too, a "decoder" and an "ignitor"
Does yours not have these?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
We need to find a reliable solution...

Full new headlights?!!

1 - 20 of 307 Posts