Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

281 - 300 of 307 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
I haven't, but the problem doesn't come up if the headlight are off. When headlights are on and it does, turning headlights off helps immediately.
Seems like it makes sense to try with halogens back in then?

I’ve got my maxgtrs just need to get round to fitting them.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Naah, I'll wait for the new filters to see if they make a difference. I also have my previous leds to use if nothing else helps, they didn't have any issues.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Try using one at a time, you may have a noisy one as many of us are using these LED's but haven't had the problems.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Ordered the HIDS4U 35w Kit. 5000k colour. Fingers crossed they are an improvement. Just come to the car from a VW CC with VERY good headlights so a bit of a let down.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Ordered the HIDS4U 35w Kit. 5000k colour. Fingers crossed they are an improvement. Just come to the car from a VW CC with VERY good headlights so a bit of a let down.
I used these for some years in my Amp. Only recently changed to LED but not sure if there is much of a difference.

If they don't work when tested, you may need to swap the supply pins as mine were wired backwards. They are reverse polarity protected though.
Apparently they are made for various cars but not all cars keep the same polarity.

Easy to install but you will need a hole cutter for the hole in the dust seal and have to remove the air filter for the one on the left. An hour max.
Very professional job with moulded seals for the cables.

Don't forget to mark the headlight beams on a wall with the old bulbs in so you can adjust for the HID's if necessary.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Installed the max gtrs leds on Saturday and got to try them out last night.

Can’t believe I didn’t do this before last winter! An absolute must for every amp.

The difference is night and day (sorry!).

I didn’t remove the air box on the drivers side and managed to get to it but the horizontal light pattern across the top edge is a little jagged, so I suspect I’ll need to reseat the bulbs.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Installed the max gtrs leds on Saturday and got to try them out last night.

Can’t believe I didn’t do this before last winter! An absolute must for every amp.

The difference is night and day (sorry!).

I didn’t remove the air box on the drivers side and managed to get to it but the horizontal light pattern across the top edge is a little jagged, so I suspect I’ll need to reseat the bulbs.
Well done for installing them without removing the airbox! :eek: I've been using as past 3 months & very impressed with them. They are a nigh on essential modification for the Ampera. You can adjust the MAXGTRS in situ by simply twisting them around at the base. I've got mine set so that the led blades are vertical as to try to mimic the stock bulbs beam pattern. The horizontal beam cut off is nice & sharp when set this way.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
The air box is very easy to remove as it is just pulled out of rubber grommets after loosening the jubilee clip on the hose and simply clips back in afterwards.

·
Registered
77 Posts
The air box is very easy to remove as it is just pulled out of rubber grommets after loosening the jubilee clip on the hose and simply clips back in afterwards.
Ahh I didn’t know this, I’ll remove it just to make sure the bulbs fitted correctly.

I’ve put them in vertical but suspect the drivers side might be at an odd angle (causing the jagged light pattern) caused by trying to fit it without moving the box and not having much space to work in.

Thanks for the tip Russ.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've now received and installed the can bus adapters from maxgtrs. Initial checks successful, but since the actual issues only came up intermittently I'll reserve final verdict until later. The previous resistors were actually really bad. They heated up bad enough to melt their own wire's insulation.

·
Registered
241 Posts
@HandyAndy - Sorry I'm late to the party but please could I have a pair of your unslotted dust covers? I have finally succumbed to getting a pair (well actually two pairs of the MaxGTRS 6k bulbs as they were 40% off from Alliexpress).. I realise that fitting them in summer(ish) without your mod cover may be a little dicey which is the reason I want them. :)... The reason I'm so late is because I work for an insurance company and was worried I might lose my job, yes I'm insured with them :(, but after driving once again in wet night time conditions and can't even see the road markings I finally thought to hell with it.... I'm more like to crash first...

Sorry for being a retard but how do I send a private message with my details??

·
Registered
241 Posts
Has anyone passed an MOT recently and Vauxhall Service (to validate the LTW) with these MAXGTRS 6k bulbs installed? The reason I ask is because my Father in Law whom is mechanic has a friend whom is an MOT tester and was advised that Testers have been told to look out for these retrofit HID and LED's that are fitted to cars that are not designed to have them installed and instantly fail them...

I have read that Ampera owners in the past have passed the MOT without any problems but was wondering if anybody had passed in the last couple of months?

·
Registered
43 Posts
I passed with HIDs on a previous car - around Dec last year. Tester didn't even notice.
I have installed LEDs (the MaxGTR's) on my Ampera and as previous posters have said - they are a massive improvement. However come MOT I shall remove and replace as they are easy enough to get to - even if they are a mild nuisance.

Oh and ordered a second set of MaxGTRs as spares - they are that much better than standard

·
Registered
241 Posts
Just a word of warning I think the new MOT regulations about illegal headlight fittings only came in about May 2019.

It would be a real shame that we have to do this change as the new headlights MAXGTRS LED's make the car far safer for us Ampera drivers and because the car has the Mechanical cut off I cannot imagine that we would be dazzling other drivers (no warnings from other drivers yet).

But rules are rules I suppose :(

I have my MOT service at Thurlow Nunn Norwich in November/December, but will probably switch to save failing the MOT.

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
Why not phone them up & ask? Point out that the mechanical shutter means no dazzle on dip. Just because one Amp might squeeze through, that's not to say the next one is guaranteed to pass & not be failed by a slightly more cautious tester surely?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Thanks @HandyAndy,

Why not phone them up & ask? Point out that the mechanical shutter means no dazzle on dip. Just because one Amp might squeeze through, that's not to say the next one is guaranteed to pass & not be failed by a slightly more cautious tester surely?
Good point, I'll give that a try nearer the time (November/December), thanks for stating the obvious solution (that I didn't think of! o_O

281 - 300 of 307 Posts