Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

301 - 307 of 307 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Last night, driving back from Manchester (approx. 140 miles), was my first decent long drive in the Ampera after dark. And, I have to say the standard headlights were quite adequate (even in the rain) and certainly better than some other cars that I have owned.

·
Registered
80 Posts
For what it's worth, the can bus adapters I mentioned before seem to have finally done the trick, and I've not encountered any issues since installing them.
I fitted some LEDs last month, a few days ago I got the "Park Assist Off" warning. Like yours, it goes away when I turn off the lights. Has anyone fitted HIDs and got the message too? Or does it only affect LEDs?

·
Registered
236 Posts
I fitted some LEDs last month, a few days ago I got the "Park Assist Off" warning. Like yours, it goes away when I turn off the lights. Has anyone fitted HIDs and got the message too? Or does it only affect LEDs?
I've got LED's and never had park assist message. I always get the 'check bulb' messages though as I cannot fit the can-bus boxes they came with as they don't fit inside the headlight and I don't want to compromise the seal. Assuming as you don't get the check bulb message your LED's have a can-bus friendly chip in there somewhere - but perhaps it's not behaving (or badly designed?)

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
There's no can-bus stuff inside the LED bulbs, or the original incandescents for that matter. Usually the LEDs draw a much lower current than the originals so that can trigger the dead-bulb warning. It's possible the LEDs generate some interference carried on the 2 wires going into them, as they do a lot of high frequency current chopping, and some of that interference may be being pick up elsewhere by can-bus kit/sensors. You could try fitting a capacitor across the inputs of the LED wiring, try a 0.1 microfarad ceramic capacitor which doesn't mind the polarity of connection, and these are usually good for up to 50V lines so plenty of margin there. Just might do the job for a few pence. Something like cpc.farnell.com part no.s CA06*05, CA06802, or CA06296 are worth a punt.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I've never had either check bulb or park assist messages in 2 years of using the MAXGTRS led bulbs...

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
Same here and I've used HIDs for three years and LED's for one year without a problem.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I’m using LED’s at the moment,but I’m going to remove the headlights and polish/clean the glass part of the projector as I can see it’s cloudy.
And yes,I know it’s supposed to be cloudy but I’ve done it on the bikes with quite a difference.
It’s usually about 30/40% better with a sharp cut off line on the road.
I’ve got to remove the bumper anyway as my indicator part is now 1/4 full of water for some reason.

301 - 307 of 307 Posts