Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pretty new to the forum, and have had a good look round the Charging Discussions. I've got quite a week coming up as I'm in at the deep end.
My E-Corsa arrives tomorrow and I'm working away in Billingham from Tuesday, staying in a hotel with no charging.
I have all day to drive up but will be hopefully going via Newcastle to see some friends before heading to the hotel for the evening.
My plan is to stop at 2 chargers on the way up, I have some online meetings and may as well charge while I'm stopped.
I have downloaded lots of apps and signed up to Polar plus and have requested a card which will hopefully arrive before I leave on Tuesday.

I'm hoping to use a Geniepoint rapid charger on the way, so I've had a look at that and their seems to be a requirement to add £10 and / or pay £9 for a RFID card, Is this correct?
I simply don't have time to get the RFID card before I leave, so should I plan to use another charger or do they have some sort of instant pay?

Hotel charging - There is a CYC slow charger within walking distance of the Hotel, so I'm thinking of leaving it there overnight after activating with the Polar Plus card or app.
The charger is in a sports centre and doesn't seem to have been used in the last 6 years (zapp map) so I have an InstaVolt fast charger nearby as a back up to make sure I'm fully charged before the run home on Friday.

Any tips or recommendations for accounts to sign up to debit or credit cards to add to the system for plenty of flexibility.
Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV Exclusive
101 Posts
Welcome.

I'd certainly recommend Polar +. They often have rapid chargers at hotels etc (and cheap by comparison - often 15p per kw). Instavolt is a good (though expensive) backup - takes contactless payment. Also worth getting the Pod point app - pretty easy to use with their chargers. Zap Map will help you.

Good luck.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I hadn't thought about leaving time to order RFID cards so that surprised me a bit. These days of contactless cards and NFC phones, it seems a bit out of date but I suppose if there is no signal they could be useful.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV Exclusive
101 Posts
Haven't used Geniepoint before but I believe you can set any RFID (your Polar card) to use Genie the first time you access them. Fingers crossed your card arrives in time - they are usually pretty quick.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
6,891 Posts
Instavolt and engenie both take contactless cards. Far less faff. Geniepoint have high connection costs so a lot of folk avoid them.

I wouldn't assume the polar card will arrive in time. Plan around it then it's a bonus if it does. It's also worth checking out the CYC charger to make sure there aren't over stay fees if you leave the car to charge over night on it.

·
evezy referral code d6540
3,008 Posts
Ring CYC on 01912 650 500 to get the latest status on their charge point number 11215 at the Sports Centre. It’s a 7kW post, so you can use it for as long as you like.

Use Zap-Map and Plugshare to plot your route. Use the filters on Zap-Map to only show 50kW, 100kW, 150kW and 350kW CCS DC Rapids. You can also eliminate any networks you aren’t interested in, due to high rate, or not yet having their card. Try and stop at locations where there are more than one rapid, to avoid getting caught out by it being used, or out of order. InstaVolt usually have two or more at each location. Be brave and try and arrive with around 20% SoC as the car will charge quicker. Especially if you find a 100+ kW charger, as at that SoC the Corsa-e will charge at about 76kW until 48% SoC. From then on the power drops to 52kW until 67%, then 43kW until 73%

Edit: It has been pointed out to me that some comments I made may have come across as rude, although that was not my intention. I have therefore removed them. I apologise to the OP and welcome them to the forum. I hope my other informative posts will show that there was no offence intended.

Reactions: dparr59

·
3,008 Posts
F6DD3D8D-C9DE-48C3-97A0-94437FDAB534.png

This is based on leaving home with 100%, and arriving at any charging stop or your destination with no less than 20% (32% at your only charging stop in this case) You then move on at 80%.

From 32% to 80% will take around 30 minutes, and to 90% will take 45 minutes. If the CYC charging point is out of order, you could use the InstaVolt Rapid nearby. You could top up at Ripon on the way home. InstaVolt accept contactless, and having 2 at Bellingham and 4 units at Ripon reduces the risk of being caught out by a charger fail, or having to wait for someone else to finish.

There are a couple of InstaVolt chargers at a Bannatyne Health Club near Durham that you could use on the way up or back from Newcastle if you find the Corsa is consuming more than you expected due to hills or you driving too fast!

Reactions: dparr59

·
Registered
Kona64
1,388 Posts
It’s a 7kW post, so you can use it for as long as you like.
Be aware to always check local signs --- several 7kw I know of in my area have differing signs limiting use.
eg One business park where there's 6 different charging areas, has 3 different styles of signs, but all effectively saying use PlugShare app when connecting, and clear off within 3hours or you'll be clamped / fined.

Bottom line - the only charge point you know will be available when >you< want it, and for as long as you want it, is the one at your house. Everywhere else you need - as you are readying - plans B + C .

Reactions: E7EV

·
Registered
535 Posts
View attachment 133187

This is based on leaving home with 100%, and arriving at any charging stop or your destination with no less than 20% (32% at your only charging stop in this case) You then move on at 80%.

From 32% to 80% will take around 30 minutes, and to 90% will take 45 minutes. If the CYC charging point is out of order, you could use the InstaVolt Rapid nearby. You could top up at Ripon on the way home. InstaVolt accept contactless, and having 2 at Bellingham and 4 units at Ripon reduces the risk of being caught out by a charger fail, or having to wait for someone else to finish.

There are a couple of InstaVolt chargers at a Bannatyne Health Club near Durham that you could use on the way up or back from Newcastle if you find the Corsa is consuming more than you expected due to hills or you driving too fast!
Quite a bit of a detour to Ripon just to use the CYC/Instavolt...not sure I’m a fan of that.

ABRP looks like recommending hitting the Ionity just on the M1 at Leeds, presumably at about 30%.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I'm pretty new to the forum, and have had a good look round the Charging Discussions. I've got quite a week coming up as I'm in at the deep end.
My E-Corsa arrives tomorrow and I'm working away in Billingham from Tuesday, staying in a hotel with no charging.
I have all day to drive up but will be hopefully going via Newcastle to see some friends before heading to the hotel for the evening.
My plan is to stop at 2 chargers on the way up, I have some online meetings and may as well charge while I'm stopped.
I have downloaded lots of apps and signed up to Polar plus and have requested a card which will hopefully arrive before I leave on Tuesday.

I'm hoping to use a Geniepoint rapid charger on the way, so I've had a look at that and their seems to be a requirement to add £10 and / or pay £9 for a RFID card, Is this correct?
I simply don't have time to get the RFID card before I leave, so should I plan to use another charger or do they have some sort of instant pay?

Hotel charging - There is a CYC slow charger within walking distance of the Hotel, so I'm thinking of leaving it there overnight after activating with the Polar Plus card or app.
The charger is in a sports centre and doesn't seem to have been used in the last 6 years (zapp map) so I have an InstaVolt fast charger nearby as a back up to make sure I'm fully charged before the run home on Friday.

Any tips or recommendations for accounts to sign up to debit or credit cards to add to the system for plenty of flexibility.
Thanks for reading.
Where abouts in Billingham will you be working/staying?

There's a couple of Instavolts at the Jet garage on Wolviston Road, not the cheapest charging, but as a one of its relaible and no RFID cards needed, just a debit/credit card.

Sounds like you're coming from the North, depending on which way your going, there's a few PodPoint 7kw chargers at Dalton Park on the A19 which are free to use, and you could get some lunch or kill a couple of hours having a wander for a top-up.

The old CYC chargers around Billingham were never great and the ones I've used in the past needed RFID cards, even though they said on zapmap they could use the app.

·
3,008 Posts
Quite a bit of a detour to Ripon just to use the CYC/Instavolt...not sure I’m a fan of that.

ABRP looks like recommending hitting the Ionity just on the M1 at Leeds, presumably at about 30%.
I suggested InstaVolt because the OP is new to charging and this network is easy to use with contactless and there are four units reducing the risk of waiting or finding the only charger broken. True it would add 9 miles and 20 minutes to the journey.

Ionity aren’t as reliable as you would expect and paying isn’t as straightforward. Plus they’re almost double the price. If this isn’t an issue for the OP, he could certainly give them a try. It has been reported that they are on free vend at the moment, although this won’t last very long. He’d get 76 kW until 48% SoC.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Where abouts in Billingham will you be working/staying?
Thanks for the advice @Blackeunos
I stayed at the Premier Inn in Wolviston and found the (free) pod-point at Tesco's useful at lunchtime but I mostly used the pod-point at Wynyard Business Park just the other side of the A19 from the hotel.
It was very quiet so I even used it to top up to 98% for the trip home.
Interesting news they are installing 2 Instavolt Chargers at the Service Area where the Hotel is in the Domino's Pizza Car Park.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Haven't used Geniepoint before but I believe you can set any RFID (your Polar card) to use Genie the first time you access them. Fingers crossed your card arrives in time - they are usually pretty quick.
That’s what I did but it’s some time ago. I think from memory you have to (Step 1) present any old RFID in order to get it rejected on your account then you can (Step 2) look up the RFID number and register that number for future use. I’m not sure how much of a delay there is between steps 1&2 these days.

·
Registered
Leaf 30kWh, Outlander PHEV
2,213 Posts
I use my polar rfid with Genie point

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Leaf 30kWh, Outlander PHEV
2,213 Posts
Thanks, I hadn't thought about leaving time to order RFID cards so that surprised me a bit. These days of contactless cards and NFC phones, it seems a bit out of date but I suppose if there is no signal they could be useful.
New BP app should allow you to start charge using app if you don’t have rfid at hand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts