Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spinning out from the other thread loosely on this subject.

Where do you see this heading, or where would you like to see this heading?

Will vehicle OEMs be prepared to really partner with Google or Apple to "hand over" a proper on board iOS or Android interface? Is this even a good idea?

What about docks, integration, remote control? Universal communications methods for any mobile OS to integrate with vehicle manufacturer's own platforms?

I think this is going to messy, exciting and confusing. In car entertainment systems largely appear to be a good five to ten years at least behind the outside world, how will they catch up, if at all?

·
Registered
538 Posts
Personally, I would like to see some standards emerge, but OEMs keep making their "own" systems to keep driving the innovation forwards.

·
Banned
558 Posts
Surely the issue is that car are beaching increasingly computerised - the modern car has a dozen (probably more) microprocessors. Should we leave the development of safety-related critical systems to car companies? Brakes, steering, suspension, navigation computer systems made by Ford - it makes you shudder! I would trust Apple to build a car, but not Nissan to build a computer system? Why not BAE to build the lot! (Shame about the price!)

·
Registered
538 Posts
I think Ford, (or more accurately, the company that Ford use to make the engine management units) have more experience at that kind of thing than Apple!

·
Registered
991 Posts
The beauty of Apple's deal is that the manufacturer doesn't have to partner with Apple. They simply choose to have BlackBerry's QNX platform drive their multimedia system. QNX then act's as an SDK that others can hook into, this is what Apple are doing, and Google could also do if they chose to.

Despite the obvious jokes about BlackBerry, their QNX platform has been very well received, it seems to tick all the boxes and a large number of manufacturers have already committed to it. Hopefully enough that it will become the defacto standard and force Google and Windows to support it. Then we will have cars that can accept whichever smartphone platform we choose - hurrah!

The first manufacturers on-board are Ferrari, Honda, Hyundai, Jaguar, Mercedes-Benz and Volvo who will all have models available with CarPlay this year. Other manufacturers who have committed to future support include BMW, Chevrolet, Ford, Kia, Land Rover, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Opel, PSA Peugeot Citroen, Subaru, Suzuki and Toyota

·
Registered
538 Posts
Ahh QNX. Well that's a different story that takes me back to uni days. Even back then it was known for being one of the best realtime operating systems available. It's a shame that QNX now gets painted with the same brush as BlackBerry ;)

I suspect that the QNX platform does more than just drive the multimedia system. It's probably already running most of those manufacturers engine management and various traction control systems and the like already.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts