Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess not strictly a GTE only question but having picked up my GTE Advance last Friday I am struggling a bit to know what the in car WiFi is for. Is it free to connect or do I have to buy a data plan? I can connect to the car using my phone as the hotspot but I can't see what the advantage is over just Bluetooth (you can stream Apple music etc but this seems to be it). Should I be able to connect using the myVW hotspot or do I need to buy a data plan? And if I do what's the advantage?

Love the car by the way! And I was very apprehensive coming from a 5 series BMW but very happy so far!

·
Registered
62 Posts
I haven’t explored this on my new GTE Advance but I believe you can buy a data plan or alternatively use your mobile as the input/output device so that multiple people in the car can access the internet on their devices. I cannot see the need to buy another data plan when I have one on my phone and most people also do on their phones.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi. As soon as the kids found this car wifi option we (they) were keen to understand what it meant. As far as I know, you have the option to insert a SIM in the media stack in glovebox and then use this as a car wifi hotspot. As mentioned by StuartW, I connect my phone to car by making my phone a hotspot, then passengers search for it as a connection. When searching it appears as VW8xxxx. You then input the pass code displayed on the screen of the car, and it should all connect. Travelling down in convoy for New Years, I had it connected and the other family in the car we were travelling with could also see the connection and connect to it - provided they didn't get left behind :giggle: .
That's how it works in my 2018 GTE Advance - 2020 version may be different?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts