Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Vauxall Corsa E
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've certainly felt an increase in power usage, doing my usual pootling about in York, but I'm off to Birmingham tomorrow.

So I'm asking myself - can I afford to run the heating or should I wrap up warm. How much range loss should I expect on a long-distance motorway run?

·
Registered
795 Posts
With zero outside and 21 deg C in the car my LEAF uses around 1.5-2kw/h. If I drive for 1hr that would be 6-8% of my range used in heat. If I did a 2hr stint say 40mph average then it's 12-16% of my battery used on heat. So drive fast :eek:

·
Registered
2020 Vauxall Corsa E
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Of course the real horror is getting stuck in a motorway tailback for an indefinite period in freezing weather. A choice between hypothermia and risking running out of energy,

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
Don't know about motorway range loss, but the heating/aircon is losing me between 6 and 12 miles just now.
Heat I can do without, but you can't do without demisting. o_O

·
Registered
2020 Vauxall Corsa E
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don't know about motorway range loss, but the heating/aircon is losing me between 6 and 12 miles just now.
Heat I can do without, but you can't do without demisting. o_O
I find about 30 seconds on the demister will clear things for a while. Of course the colder it gets the longer it will take.

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
The Leaf heater gives you a real quandary though.
Do you leave it on all the time, and just suffer the constant reminder of what it's costing you (in range terms)?
Or do you just press on/off as required and watch the range go up/down/up/down/up/down...o_O

·
Registered
201 Posts
On all the time and plan for it is my method. It may be different if you have an early Leaf though because the heater used to draw much more energy. For me in my current 30kWh leaf I just use it the same way I would if it were an ICE.

·
Registered
675 Posts
With zero outside and 21 deg C in the car my LEAF uses around 1.5-2kw/h. If I drive for 1hr that would be 6-8% of my range used in heat. If I did a 2hr stint say 40mph average then it's 12-16% of my battery used on heat. So drive fast
That's a lot, Zoe uses 1kW max. We leave the heat on, using air recirculation from time to time reduces power usage further.

We got stuck behind a smash in freezing conditions for over an hour and lost just a few %.

If you are doing lots of short journeys you will lose more as it has to heat the car from cold repeatedly, so a long journey should be better.

We find Zoe (the old 22kWh) predicts around 60-65 miles after lots of short journeys in freezing weather (and sitting with heating on for an hour going nowhere while baby sleeps). But give it a long drive and it still does 75 mile, in freezing weather.

That's still a big drop from its normal range, but suspect it's more about battery temperature than heating...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Silly question but if I preheat the car to, for example, 19 degrees and then set the heater to 19 degrees when driving, will this help minimise the power usage?

I was one for leaving the heating off but it meant I wasnt enjoying the drive (strangely...!) but I am looking for a way to have the heating on and not feel like I am wasting energy.

Just wondered as it was mentioned to use air recirculation to minimise power loss.

Have a 24kWh Leaf 2014 Gen 2.

·
Registered
2020 Vauxall Corsa E
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Silly question but if I preheat the car to, for example, 19 degrees and then set the heater to 19 degrees when driving, will this help minimise the power usage?

I was one for leaving the heating off but it meant I wasnt enjoying the drive (strangely...!) but I am looking for a way to have the heating on and not feel like I am wasting energy.

Just wondered as it was mentioned to use air recirculation to minimise power loss.

Have a 24kWh Leaf 2014 Gen 2.
These days I compromise on long trips by setting the target temperature as low as it goes (which is about 16.5 degrees). You still have to dress sensibly, but you aren't shivering and the windscreen remains transparent.

I think air recirculation is the default, isn't it?

On a longish trip you'll get to an equilibrium fairly soon, so the power consumption is likely to be proportional to the difference between the temperature you set, and what it is outside.

Then again, I seem to recall that us humans put out several hundred watts of heat.

·
Watford FC Supporter
99 Posts
Never - ever - have I gone anywhere in winter without using the heater!!!

Anyone who does is mad in my opinion!
Not sure if I am mad or not but never use the heater for keeping warm. Not sure what all the fuss is about. Yesterday had to use because snow blew up on the windscreen when driving and had to heat it for visibility.

Work outside so have lots of layers of thermals on hat and gloves. Short commute although can take 40 minutes in traffic on the return trip.

Drive an ICE van for a living and never use the heating in that. It might feel nice and toasty getting into a warm cab but it will feel 10 times as cold when you have to get out again.

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
Not sure if I am mad or not but never use the heater for keeping warm. Not sure what all the fuss is about. Yesterday had to use because snow blew up on the windscreen when driving and had to heat it for visibility.
Work outside so have lots of layers of thermals on hat and gloves. Short commute although can take 40 minutes in traffic on the return trip.
Drive an ICE van for a living and never use the heating in that. It might feel nice and toasty getting into a warm cab but it will feel 10 times as cold when you have to get out again.
Well if you're wearing loads of thermal clothing anyway, it's no wonder you don't feel the need for a heater.
Not sure there's a point here really.

·
Watford FC Supporter
99 Posts
I suppose the point is if you are on the limit of your range you can always dress up and save the heater. It's just what you get used. Don't even think about it really. In my younger years used to work in office and seem to remember driving in a shirt all year round. Must have just turned the heating up.

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
I suppose the point is if you are on the limit of your range you can always dress up and save the heater.
Said it before, I'll keep saying it.
If you've to dress up in a coat or wear a blanket to eek out every mile in an EV, you've bought the wrong car.
Madness.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
As the energy information page says I would only lose 3-5 miles of range by putting the heater on, I keep it on all the time in this weather - but with the battery temperature down to 3 bars I ignore the silly figure that the GOM says and plan on only getting 50 miles of range from a full charge (13 Reg 24kWh, having recently lost the first bar of capacity).

1 - 20 of 29 Posts