Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How easy do EV drivers find the low speed control of the vehicle motion in slow stop/start traffic?

When comparing conventional ICE car tranmission cars, the Auto is easier to control as the car is just put into D and the footbrake is released to start the car moving at a crawling pace and reapplied to stop.

In an EV, how easy is the low speed crawling controlled, and is it just as easy as an Auto?

·
Registered
2016 Nissan LEAF SL
1,106 Posts
Most of them are the same as an auto car with the same 'creep' when in D where it will slowly move forwards without using the accelerator pedal.

There are a few EV models where it will come to a complete stop instead (BMW i3 for example - But with that car it can be driven with one pedal so lifting back off will stop the car without needing the brakes) With both setups I find an electric car to be very easy in stop-start traffic.

·
Registered
612 Posts
The leaf is better than any ice auto I've driven plus, you have intelligent cruise which is great in low speed crawling and stop start traffic.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am test driving a Mini tomorrow which i understand will come to a comlete stop with release of the accelerator pedal when in high regen mode. As this shares the BMW I-drive system that is why it behaves like the I3.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The Tesla 3 is way way better than any ICE car, I can literally go at a snails pace. The real advantage is that it will do this down a slope and even in reverse, no need to hold it on the brakes and all on one pedal.

·
Registered
17,473 Posts
I’ve been driving around Berlin this afternoon. I have to say it’s pretty awesome and a whole different experience than driving a four-banger.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Creeps like an auto or just use ACC.

·
Registered
Kona PremSe64k 2020+bluelink +ohme
468 Posts
The kona can crawl fwd happily from nothing (which I use weekly when going through my local covid19 drive-thru). It will then happily hold at around 5mph without further intervention. From there in SCC mode touch the accelerator for an instant and the car will gradually accelerate to previous cruising speed assuming no obstacles ahead.

When slowing it can come down in two modes either down to that 5mph or to a halt without human intervention. Coming to a halt by following the car in front and if that one stops so will the kona. Otherwise again slowing down to that 5mph, finally just needing that blip on the brake to come to a tidy halt at required stop point.

I wouldn't say I know all the nuances just yet. But I never had this with any ICE i ever owned, and I love it!

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Also, being an EV makes crawling uphill a doddle. There is zero chance of stalling the engine, and zero chance of misjudging your clutch release and slipping embarassingly backwards. In mine, I can either rely on the hill-hold feature holding the brake pedal down until I hit the accelerator, or if it's a longer wait I can leave the handbrake on in N, then select D & press the accelerator when it's time to move. The computer synchronises the auto release of the handbrake just as the car moves off, so again it's a doddle.

·
Live by the sword. Don't intend to die by it.
846 Posts
Modulating the accelerator is pretty easy in my E-Tron. I've never had a problem is slow moving or stop-start traffic.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,279 Posts
With both setups I find an electric car to be very easy in stop-start traffic.
The MG is a dream in a traffic jam. I was on the M6 yesterday passing the junction with the M5. I let Traffic Jam Assist take the strain and allowed the MG to drive for me (still with hands on the steering wheel in case I was needed to take over (but I wasn't)). So relaxing.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I need to modify my answer to this as I have now changed to the Zoe ZE50 which is not particularly good in this respect. The Renault marketing department want to make the car seem like and ICE vehicle so it is programmed to creep at 6 mph like an old style automatic. Consequently there is a sort of minimum throttle opening (I know it doesn't really have a throttle but this is what it mimics). The result is that it seems impossible to start the car off smoothly, its not a big jolt but there is certainly a jolt and if you want to go at less that 6 mph you have to hold it on the brakes. Probably not too much a problem in traffic but it makes reversing rather tricky as it has the worst of both worlds, it won't start to move until you apply throttle but then you have to switch to brakes to hold it back.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan LEAF SL
1,106 Posts
it won't start to move until you apply throttle but then you have to switch to brakes to hold it back.
Disable auto hold. It will handle more like the earlier Zoes then and because you're not using the accelerator anymore you don't get the feeling of being launched forward as aggressively.

I Don't remember creep being a problem for me, it definitely didn't feel like it was too fast but I have already returned my ZE50 for other reasons so can't go back to double check what sort of speed I got out of it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts