Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Incomplete charge on home charger

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  DBMandrake 
#1 ·
Has anyone had their car decided to interrupt a charge on their home charger ? I was charging and expected it to go to completion (35-36kWh) but for some reason it stopped at 24.5kWh (according to Leafspy). It's not happened before, and i'm a bit puzzled.

What i did; i disconnected the 12V (as the GoM seemed too low for 24.5kWh) and reconnected which led to a more reflective GoM estimate. I then put the 12V on charge with my smart charger - i wondered whether it might be a low 12V leading to charge interruption ? Charged battery overnight and all worked fine this morning, but wondering whether it might happen again or what the cause might have been. Any thoughts ?

#2 ·
The DC/DC converter in the car should be keeping the 12v battery topped up during traction battery charging - when actively charging it around 14.4v, when maintaining it around 13.0v. So once charging has started a weak 12v battery should not in theory lead to the traction battery charging aborting part way through.

Is there any possibility your house had a momentary brownout that was enough to stop the car charging ?

Do you have charge end notifications enabled in the Nissan app ? If you do, you will get an alert when charging stops, including abnormal stops, which could be useful to detect when this is happening.

#5 ·
Thanks, i was clutching at straws with the 12V battery guess - as i've experienced and read of the grief that these can cause. Also, i thought that the 12V charging happened at the end of the charging session (rather than during) ?

I don't use the Nissan app - it was too clunky when i looked at it initially and i've not revisited it. Also, we tend not to use the charging or climate timers (routines are too variable...).

It happened sometime on Sunday afternoon and has not happened before - it could have been a brownout due to everyone putting their Sunday roast on :) I tend to charge overnight for convenience rather than cheap tariff, and sometimes use the granny or the chargepoint.

For now, i'll see whether it happens again and hope that it doesn't !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.