Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a new one on me ...
Last night it seems my delayed charge was incomplete stopping at 95% and when I started up this morning the orange engine icon stayed on. I've had this icon come and go a handful of times on the last 2 years usually when cold & damp, but this charge stopping short is a new symptom. It leaves the energy display showing yesterday's usage but soc had gone from 76% to 95% according to OVMS:-

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The day before I have the appointment with the dealer, the orange engine light goes out and I get a full charge again! Typical! It lasted six days this time. Previously 1 or 2 and no incomplete charge that I noticed. I hope there are stored error codes ...

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So it turns out the charge stopping short is the car's way of protecting itself when a fault code is present. Mine was most likely water ingress to the charge socket or plug handle in severe stormy weather recently. If you have a certain number of restarts with the fault condition cleared it turns off the engine malfunction warning. It is a shame we can't get the codes remotely read like with volt+ on star in the states, as it is worth having them decoded to be sure it is not requiring maintenance action. At least there are no cracks in my socket housing. My curly cable plug end has split its cable strain relief and that has made it less than fully waterproof so I will be taping it up with self amalgamating tape this weekend. I'll get them to fetch and deliver again next time. It was nice to finally meet the legend that is Norman Bosher in person, this time.

·
Banned
1,370 Posts
The day before I have the appointment with the dealer, the orange engine light goes out and I get a full charge again! Typical! It lasted six days this time. Previously 1 or 2 and no incomplete charge that I noticed. I hope there are stored error codes ...
I assume you have to install a PAYG sim into the Volt / Ampera for this app to work?

Is it just a case of buying a Tesco mobile one, bunging £5 of credit on it a installing into the car?

M

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
I assume you have to install a PAYG sim into the Volt / Ampera for this app to work?

Is it just a case of buying a Tesco mobile one, bunging £5 of credit on it a installing into the car?

M
You also need the OVMS odb module fitted. Cost about £100 I think.
But I guess a tesco Payg sim could work?

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Payg sims often need monthly top up to give data allowance. Search for OVMS in Google and visit the website to learn all about it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts