Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Using a NuWorld granny cable (3pin) sometimes it charges OK and sometimes I get a mixed signal on the dashboard. Normally on charging it shows % not miles, but when misbehaving it shows % and miles and despite the battery charging animation indicating charging it isn't.
I havent been able to establish a pattern .
Has anyone else experienced this behaviour?

·
Registered
162 Posts
If it's a Renault granny lead take it back my Renault lead seems perfect. If it's a none Renault lead you might be stuffed and have now voided warranty. £500 is a lot for the Renault lead yes but I would rather pay £500 on a lead than kill the charging circuit.

Seem to many bad things with incompatible leads on other products.

Just my thought

Craig

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Apparently most non Renault leads throw the inbuilt earth trip when plugged into a Zoe, some suppliers wont supply these for the Zoe. No idea what Renault have done and no idea why, the only possibility is relating to variable charge capabilities of the Zoe charger, and it responding to the variable PWM signal between 10amp 16 amp and 32amp chrage points. To do this the car must be trying to use the signal and if the cable doesnt give the right interpretation of the PWM data the car will probably not function properly.
A definitive answer from Renault would be good, but unlikly to be forthcoming, their approach is just buy the right renault lead.

·
ZOE Q210 Oct'13
559 Posts
I've never seen this problem with my home-made granny cable (mainpine). It does occasionally trip its RCD, but I suspect that may be due to a long mains lead (5m); all the commercial designs seem to keep this short.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Not being funny and please don't take it wrong. But wonder how Renault would feel showing them that lead if your charger on car failed? I am sure they would do everything they can to get it of fixing it.

The systems knows what sort of charge it's getting and I assume could or maybe does record this data somewhere and when Renault ask for you to bring in your Renault cable as they think that's the issue I could see a problem..

This is just my view and I don't mean harm by it.

Craig

·
Banned
789 Posts
I agree Craig. Just read on another thread that if you charge an Av golf on a rapid more than 3 times in a row then the warranty is void. All the companies will get out of Warranty work if they can.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Historical charging data can be seen here:

Historical Charging Data

When using the granny cable, it is shown as a 'Standard' charge; when using home 7kW charger it is shown as 'Accelerated'.
This is what i mean the car stores all the info for what charger the car is using, So in the event of a problem with your Zoe and the garage seem to think the last problem was due to the "Standard Charge" and ask you to bring your Renault lead in because it looks faulty then this is where the problems start.

I spoke to Renault about aftermarket charging leads and there words to me were as follows "Using anything other than Renault Charging leads voids warranty" If you use your supplied renault lead at a charge point in town and you get issues your covered use a aftermarket lead you are not, Use a Aftermarket granny lead and you are basically giving the dealer a get out of fixing my car deal.

Same as ICE cars you can have it serviced anywhere that is VAT registered and use Dealer require parts, These parts have to be proven to be used also, I have a friend with a VW Passat in 2010 brand new 12 months later service needed and took it to Halfords because another mate got discount, great save money.. 3 Months later the oil filter exploded off its thread at motorway speeds and he knew nothing for 5 miles in which time it was too late one knackered bottom end, VW would not touch it and Halfords said it was out of the 28 day period and he would have to claim against the Oil filter company, You can guess where this went, £1200 bill at VW and service done by VW.. OIL filter company claimed it was over tightened and seal damaged. back to halfords and he was on a no win situation.

Craig

·
Registered
162 Posts
I've never seen this problem with my home-made granny cable (mainpine). It does occasionally trip its RCD, but I suspect that may be due to a long mains lead (5m); all the commercial designs seem to keep this short.

With that much cable on the plug end and i am not surprised it trips, Can the cable be used as a heating element? Is the RCD box IP66 rated? i know people like to make things cheap and people can't afford cables at Renault prices but think about what is inside the Renault lead it hand shakes with the car and checks everything before commencing charge.

I would also say the reason why it trips is the fact it has no controller to control what its pulling from the 13amp socket so the car see's no restriction and tries to pull maybe 16-20amp and this tripping the RCD, RCD can trip due to Overload and heat.

RCDs (Residual Current Devices) are electrical safety switches that remove the supply to an electrical circuit when the circuit is unsafe; if an RCD ‘trips’ it has tripped for a reason, the problem is rarely a faulty RCD.

Moisture is also a cause for RCD trips and if your box is getting warm and cold moisture will be created and also cause it to fail.

Surely your cable by looking at it has no handshake to car and is just on or off? Please correct me if wrong.

I am not trying to be totally negative for your hard work but i am more thinking of helping you make sure the safety of your car and you are all good.

Craig

·
ZOE Q210 Oct'13
559 Posts
I would also say the reason why it trips is the fact it has no controller to control what its pulling from the 13amp socket so the car see's no restriction and tries to pull maybe 16-20amp and this tripping the RCD, RCD can trip due to Overload and heat.......Please correct me if wrong.
I certainly will correct you, because you are totally wrong. You've jumped to a conclusion with no evidence.

It wouldn't work at all unless there was handshaking, that's what the Mainpine EPC does. The current is limited to 10A by the handshaking, so is well within the capabilities of the 13A plug and 16A cable. What did you think all the other stuff in the box was? There's the EPC, a 2 pole contacter and a 2 pole RCD.

I have been using this cable once a week for the past year, and the mains cable does not get noticeably warm. I am a professional electronics engineer, so I understand what an RCD does and how it works.

The box is suitably rated, and was not built on the cheap. At the time (early 2014), there was no Renault 'granny' cable available, so I built this for about £250.

Please don't concern yourself with my safety, or my car's.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Brilliant I am glad you thought about all the safety factors and it works for you.. Like I said wasn't trying to upset anyone but from past experience I would never use anything other than dealer suppy and if I can't afford such item I would live without.

If your an electronics engineer then i would sort the tripping issue as you have a problem. My Renault lead is faultless everyday it's used never gets warm or fails. And as the post States at the beginning the gentleman is having quite a few issues with none Renault lead and it was just my view on using none manufacture dealer parts.

Just please bare in mind any fault your lead may cause Renault will do anything to not fix it.

Craig

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Regarding @andyfras 's charge lead, if it is safe electrically and handshakes correctly then it should be acceptable to plug into the car.

The fact that Renault say the warranty would be void could be tested in court and found wanting as the charge lead (EVSE) is only a glorified extension lead and unless the pilot wiring and mains become crossed, it surely cannot damage the charging circuit.

I personally would prefer to plug in his lead than some sealed for life block that was manufactured in China as many will be.
My first Ampera orange leaded EVSE was returned to Vauxhall and thankfully replaced because the supply lead had pulled from the block and as it was sealed, I wasn't able to repair it.
This lead went into the top and was supposedly weatherproof! How can it be if the lead can pull out.
I wonder what would have happened when water entered it hence my preference for being able to see inside.

As a professional electronics/electrical engineer myself I will probably be making a granny EVSE for my partners soon to be delivered Zoe as a fall back option. £500 is simply way too much for something that will hardly ever be used.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mark Pymm at Nuworld Energy has swapped my cable for the latest version and all is well. Got 100% charge in 13 hours.
IExcellent service, excellent result. I'm a happy bunny

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
@Mystified of Malvern I recently received mine from NuWorld Energy so I guess I've got the latest version too. It works fine on the 10A setting, but gives similar behaviour to your description at the top of this thread on the 6A setting. Are you seeing that now?

BTW, mine is the 10 metre version.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes, Mark warned that some Zoe's charge OK on 6 amp and some on 10 and vicaversa
My new one works fine on 10 , but not on 6.
But we know Zoe's can be capricious!.
With all the problems I have had, I'm just thankful to have a granny cable that works and at significantly less than the Renault version.

·
Registered
610 Posts
It's amazing how effectively big companies have pulled the wool over our eyes that we ourselves start to argue for them wiggling out of their obligations.

If Renault think a faulty charger damaged their car, they better be able to demonstrate they are right, on balance of probability, in front of a judge.

British Gas got to the stage of threatening bailiffs in to collect a "debt" they tried to convince me we owed. It was clear that their staff did not understand even the basics of electricity, although they repeatedly insisted that I was wrong, they were experts and don't make mistakes, and they had the right to demand payment regardless.

When I issued them with court summons, their tone changed markedly and they refunded as per my calculations.

But they would happily have taken £500+ if I had not challenged, they demanded money with menaces in my view.

Stand up for yourself. Good on you Andy!

·
Registered
738 Posts
I totally agree with Andy here, as none of us know what is inside the Renault ESVE Brick we can only guess at it's quality. The vast majority of chargers that we ever plug into are non Renault devices. Presumably a type 2, 3kW charger would still charge our cars. Andy having built his own charger using quality components knows exactly what has gone into it. RCD's are quite sensitive devices and an occasional trip event doesn't necessarily mean that there is a fault with the device, a physical bump can cause the RCD to trip. As the RCD works by measuring small differences in the current flowing through the live and neutral leads it has to be a sensitive mechanical switch mechanism.

I have recently purchased a non Renault ESVE unit, it didn't worry me in the slightest. I am far more concerned about the quality of the mains wiring that I am plugging into. A poor installation could overheat. This would be the same problem with a Renault made lead. At £600 for the Renault cable it makes every charge that you use if for really expensive, used once a week over a 3 year PCP deal that works out at £1.33 per charge, if like me it will be probably used for only a dozen charges a year over the same period it's £17 per charge + electricity! Of course it's invaluable if it's the only charge you can get.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts