Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
True. Although they've known it was definitely going to happen for over a year, and HS2 Ltd supposedly gave the landowners a month's notice of the actual work taking place, so there's also a bit of incompetence from the hospice if no action was then taken to remove the memorial stones.

·
Registered
952 Posts
I have to say that I thought HS2 was an expensive waste of money before Covid. Now everyone is telly-commuting, it seems even more of one.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have to say that I thought HS2 was an expensive waste of money before Covid. Now everyone is telly-commuting, it seems even more of one.
The real issue with HS2 is that the West Coast mainline could not cope with the goods traffic increase on top of the passenger traffic. If you need to build additional capacity and at the time of the decision the country did, then the difference between a high speed line and a conventional speed line is the same in terms of land and route acquisition. Other countries do it cheaper because they are less densely populated and land is less protected. Yes telecommuting may have removed the need for so many commuters into London from the Home Counties but if the North does achieve some success in becoming a powerhouse then eventually there will be longer distance attendance at face to face training and work meetings. Having worked in an organisation which had 1400 home based staff across GB in a middle management role, I can say that I spent more than a third of my time involved in face to face recruitment, training and team meetings at different levels and with different groups. Teams are difficult to build without some direct interaction so the current halt in travel will be merely temporary. The daily commute for many may have ended but as business is reestablished it will grow again quickly.

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
I can understand the need for increased rail capacity, but why did we need "high speed"?
High speed significantly increases the cost of construction in terms of the need to go straight and level, and hence reduce the options to alter routes to avoid sensitive areas. The additional energy costs of running at these speeds is also ignored. All so that the rich* can save 30 minutes on a journey from London to Manchester. The expression vanity project comes to mind.
* Ticket prices for HS2 are expected to be about a 1/3 higher than existing tickets, quite a premium for the time saved.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
I can understand the need for increased rail capacity, but why did we need "high speed"?
Ah, yes. I remember talking this through with my dear friend Isambard Kingdom Brunel. I said to him "Izzy, mate: Why do we need to go faster than 5mph? People will become ill at higher speeds. In any case, there's no demand for it." ;)

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
29,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
True. Although they've known it was definitely going to happen for over a year, and HS2 Ltd supposedly gave the landowners a month's notice of the actual work taking place, so there's also a bit of incompetence from the hospice if no action was then taken to remove the memorial stones.

I don't believe that's the case. I believe there was scant (and incorrect) information forthcoming from them and they made themselves difficult to contact.

I have heard this said a few times; this 'H2S' administration is acting like an autocratic dictatorship that tells people stuff and never listens or answers questions/enquiries. Quite the fascists.

·
29,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On the subject of the whole purpose of H2S I believe it is essentially bogus.

I use that line semi-infrequently and the trains are always 3 or 5 carriage affairs with standing room only. If they really wanted to increase capacity they'd just have to put on more coaches.

They don't.

It's bogus.

It is some form of social control.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Is the reference to H2S rather than HS2 because it is just an eggy fart?

Sounds like it is being run like TIE (Trams in Edinburgh) - if the reception for HS2 admin offices looks fabulous with wooden panelling and expensive coffee machines that will confirm your suspicions.

·
29,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is the reference to H2S rather than HS2 because it is just an eggy fart?
Yep. I got it confused with a smelly fart. I would call that 'Freudian'!

Sounds like it is being run like TIE (Trams in Edinburgh) - if the reception for HS2 admin offices looks fabulous with wooden panelling and expensive coffee machines that will confirm your suspicions.
Does this count?

HS2 engineering consultancy relocates to new £7m Birmingham headquarters

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20
298 Posts
There's precedent for railway companies having a fancy office

Meanwhile, this is tabloid fare. Nothing to see here.

The ultimate value of HS2 can be debated, but lots of people being upset by something changing is hardly "news". There's a now disused viaduct in the peak district that's seen as an integral part of the beauty spot. It's listed of course and you can imagine the cries of anguish about the idea of it being torn down would probably be even louder than the moaning about it being built.

Ultimately we're all nimbys. Most people over 30 don't like change by default. Coming on here and throwing around accusations of fascism is, frankly, silly.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul EV
373 Posts
On the subject of the whole purpose of H2S I believe it is essentially bogus.

I use that line semi-infrequently and the trains are always 3 or 5 carriage affairs with standing room only. If they really wanted to increase capacity they'd just have to put on more coaches.

They don't.

It's bogus.

It is some form of social control.
There are a number of different justifications for HS2, one of them been taking the express passenger traffic off of the WCML to free up pathways for freight traffic. The express trains from London Euston to Birmingham and Manchester are all 9, 10 and 11 coach trains. No short trains there to compromise passenger capacity.

A 12 coach train takes up exactly the same pathway as a 4 coach train, so does not increase the number of trains you can run.
Adding more coaches to a passenger train is not always easily possible. Platform lengths and the associated infrastructure can restrict the length and can be very expensive to change.
Also, due to the way the railway system in the UK was run under privatisation, spare rolling stock was at a premium. Every train was fully utilised and the way the franchise system worked, most franchises had no requirement or no money to get new trains.

Nothing bogus, just a flawed system for running the railways.

·
29,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
. The express trains from London Euston to Birmingham and Manchester are all 9, 10 and 11 coach trains. No short trains there to compromise passenger capacity.
Well, the Liverpool Euston ones are often 3 coaches long on Midland Trains and there isn't even standing room left.

A 12 coach train takes up exactly the same pathway as a 4 coach train, so does not increase the number of trains you can run.
Adding more coaches to a passenger train is not always easily possible. Platform lengths and the associated infrastructure can restrict the length and can be very expensive to change.
None of that is a problem Euston/Liverpool. And, no, they are not always 12 coaches.

When the train is longer than the station, it is simply a case of an announcement ' Please depart from coaches 'A-B' for the platform '

I am unconvinced.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
This is classic HS2 protest rubbish. People and organisations acting like they had zero notice of this. If the family weren't aware then it's entirely the fault of the organisation that manages the site. It's not difficult to relocate a small tree.

On the topic of HS2. Firstly, someone asked why we need High speed. Well it's not really a High Speed line, it's more of a no low-speeds line as local and freight services will be excluded. We're not doing anything exceptionally different to make it more expensive.

But it does make a huge difference, even to places like Aberystwyth will see capacity that will allow improved services to the rest of the country (a town that really struggles with connectivity), and this should be the first of many high speed lines as we upgrade our Victorian, fossil fuel driven infrastructure.

Well, the Liverpool Euston ones are often 3 coaches long on Midland Trains and there isn't even standing room left.

None of that is a problem Euston/Liverpool. And, no, they are not always 12 coaches.

When the train is longer than the station, it is simply a case of an announcement ' Please depart from coaches 'A-B' for the platform '

I am unconvinced.
You seem quite sure of yourself for someone that uses the line "semi infrequently".

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
We're not doing anything exceptionally different to make it more expensive.
Really? Are you involved?
Why not increase capacity but allow slower traffic onto the line and advantage more settlements along the route? Why is "high speed" so important? Brunel managed it when building his billiard table.

·
29,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This is classic HS2 protest rubbish. .....

You seem quite sure of yourself for someone that uses the line "semi infrequently".
Yes, because I am not one who simply moans. I moan to the top and make them answer me, oso what I know often comes from the horse's mouth, so to speak.

"
We would certainly like to be able to put on extra carriages but we only have a limited number within our fleet, and at the moment we are using all the carriages we have. .....

In addition to this, we have additional trains from Transpennine Express that are due to be deployed on the network soon that will further improve the problems that we've had of late with shortforming of services.
"

I just luuuuuv that bit of jargon at the end; "shortforming of services".

I'll tell you this. If the term 'shortforming' didn't exist then I might have regard for your opinion of 'protest rubbish'.

But it does exist, and my opinion is reality not rubbish

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul EV
373 Posts

I am unconvinced.
The express trains from Liverpool to London are always at least 9 coaches.

The Midland Trains are the stopping services.

I don't know the infrastructure well enough to give a reason why they run short trains, but this is an issue in many other parts of the country.
Selective Door Opening is one solution to the issue of short platforms, but if all the platforms on the route are short, there is little point in running longer trains because part of the train will never be in a platform.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Have you ever tried to commute from Glasgow to London?
Did you know it takes longer to travel from Glasgow to Inverness by train than it does by car?

HS2 makes no sense for phase1 to be Birmingham to London.... but anywhere north of the midlands and Scotland deserves to be connected to the capitol by a reliable high speed service.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I'll tell you this. If the term 'shortforming' didn't exist then I might have regard for your opinion of 'protest rubbish'.

But it does exist, and my opinion is reality not rubbish
Quite hilarious to think you had to edit the quote to think the first part of my post was anything to do with you.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts