Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I knew it would happen sooner or later, but last night I forgot to plug my Volt in. I'm annoyed at myself, but I guess I've done worse.

Anyway, with 36 battery miles done yesterday, and an indicated 10 mile range, I set off under battery power, and put it in to Hold mode when I hit the M1. There was 40.6 battery miles showing on the Energy Info screen (3rd screen under the 'leaf' button), and from then on the petrol miles started to go up. All exactly what I'd expect so far.

Then, a few miles from work, I took it off of Hold and back to Normal mode. The engine stopped and flow meter screen indicated I was running under battery power. Again, exactly what I'd expect.

Then, close to work, I noticed the Energy Info screen still said 40.6 battery miles, and the petrol miles were still going up!

Is this a bug with the software? Has anyone else noticed the same with their Volt or Ampera? Could the lifetime average figures be skewed too?

(As it happens, I'm booked in for a service tomorrow, so I'll mention it then just in case there's a software update or something)

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
You going to Sheffield or Leicester?

·
Super Moderator
6,360 Posts
I have had the same thing happened as well. I think it did it when the ev range was very low and I was switching like you between hold and normal. It is almost as if the car thinks you are trying to cheat and get a far bigger electric range by using regen made by the ice. Maybe some cars have a consience:p

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You going to Sheffield or Leicester?
Neither. Sheffield said they could service it, but it would invalidate the warranty as they are not a Chevy service point - despite their Derby branch being both Chevy and Vauxhall! I'm actually going to Cambridge, but combining it as part of a trip to Essex, so more convenient.than it sounds.

·
Super Moderator
6,360 Posts
Neither. Sheffield said they could service it, but it would invalidate the warranty as they are not a Chevy service point - despite their Derby branch being both Chevy and Vauxhall! I'm actually going to Cambridge, but combining it as part of a trip to Essex, so more convenient.than it sounds.
I brought Mine and get it serviced there. The service guy on the desk is a bit strange but they are very good and know their stuff

·
Registered
86 Posts
Yes, it's bug. I've had it happen to me more than once. Bot sure if they have patched it in the recent software updates (it's not like we get the patch notes)

I haven't noticed if it effects the lifetime averages. (I've had the car long enough that 5 miles recorded incorrectly wouldn't make a difference to the average)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, it's bug. I've had it happen to me more than once. Bot sure if they have patched it in the recent software updates (it's not like we get the patch notes)

I haven't noticed if it effects the lifetime averages. (I've had the car long enough that 5 miles recorded incorrectly wouldn't make a difference to the average)
Yeah, it probably won't affect the lifetime average much - certainly not for the couple of miles out of 3500 that I've done in the car, but as a second owner, the 3000 miles the first owner did (leaving with with 53.1mpg lifetime average) are a mystery to me.

·
Super Moderator
7,512 Posts
Haha guess they never plugged it in!

·
Super Moderator
6,360 Posts
Yeah, it probably won't affect the lifetime average much - certainly not for the couple of miles out of 3500 that I've done in the car, but as a second owner, the 3000 miles the first owner did (leaving with with 53.1mpg lifetime average) are a mystery to me.
Mine was an ex Chevy car and had never been plugged in, my life time mpg on the day I started driving was under 50 mpg. Cambridge reset it at our first service

·
Banned
1,370 Posts
I brought Mine and get it serviced there. The service guy on the desk is a bit strange but they are very good and know their stuff
Our 2nd hand Volt came from Cambridge Chevy originaly, they have done both services too. Old owner was from Sandy in Beds.

M

·
Registered
707 Posts
The Volt I drive appears to have nearly never been plugged-in for the first two years and 100K miles of its life. I think that this must be fairly commonplace for Volt/Amperas in fleets. The original owner was more-interested in the tax credit than they were in the EV part.

·
Banned
1,370 Posts
The Volt I drive appears to have nearly never been plugged-in for the first two years and 100K miles of its life. I think that this must be fairly commonplace for Volt/Amperas in fleets. The original owner was more-interested in the tax credit than they were in the EV part.
Is the battery range still rock solid after 100k+?

·
Registered
707 Posts
Is the battery range still rock solid after 100k+?
Yes, quite. It's as it surely was when it was first driven by the first owner. Any battery degradation is imperceptible (of course, it would have to degrade 20% for it to be noticed). This experience isn't unique, either. There are several Volts out there with 120k+ miles on them whose drivers post in forums and such, and they're all saying the same thing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts