Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve got a Niro PHEV on loan this weekend. It’s a fantastic car which I’m enjoying a lot, however two things are throwing me as a current Outlander PHEV driver.

1) Is there no way to increase the regenerative breaking. You can’t drive the car with one pedal like you can mainly as on the Mitsu.
2) How do I save the battery when I’m driving on the motorway. I can see a button which seems to switch between Petrol/EV hybrid and purely EV, but I don’t want engine only to avoid burning through the battery on the motorway, I want to use EV when in stop start traffic.

Other than these two things (and the smaller boot I was aware of) the car is a delight.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I'm pretty sure you are correct - the Niro PHEV doesn't do either of those things; at least, not in the same way the Outlander does. I did have a look at one with a view to down-sizing from the Outi some time, but those things and the lack of an app to pre-heat pretty much rule it out for me. How is the gearbox? The other thing I love is the fact that the Outi has no gear-changes!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, you can feel the gear changing, it feel strange after 3 years in the Outlander. Not driven it in “Sport” mode properly yet.

I could probably live without the regenerative breaking, but with the limited range on Electric, I’d burn all of it up on the motorway on the way into work, and then have to slog through town on the engine at the start and finish of the day, negating a lot of the benefits of electricity for me.

Such a shame.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Doesn't the PHEV try and recharge the battery when doing higher speeds and thus the load is too high to be EV only?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Doesn't the PHEV try and recharge the battery when doing higher speeds and thus the load is too high to be EV only?
The Outlander will do this in tiny bits, but trying to do too much just leads to extra fuel usage which is an expensive way to charge your battery.

Unfortunately for me I need to drive a 50 mile round trip to work of which at least 30 is motorway. On my Outlander, i’m lucky to get 15 miles out of a full charge (25 miles allegedly) at 60 mph.

·
Registered
499 Posts
No there is not, although braking does regen some charge. The thing about the Niro PHEV is that it is meant to be like a normal car so it is easy for everyone to drive; and it is. Hence the electric motor goes through the gears as well and there is no high level regen so it feels normal.

If you put the car into HEV mode, then at speeds of 40 and above, I have found that the car uses petrol unless you are coasting or braking, so it does hold charge. It is stable at 70mph in full electric though although expect to get around 1/2 your range if you drive at 70 in electric.

In a round trip I manage 33 miles, including cold battery starts and 10 miles on a 50mph A road

·
Registered
874 Posts
Pull the left paddle to increase regen, right paddle to reduce. Push the Hybrid button to use the engine, switch to Electric to be on pure EV (battery allowing) - put a destination in Sat nav and select "Auto" and it uses the best source at the time (engine on motorway, ev round town)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts