Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all it's me again.

My golf started to consume a lot of fuel back in the days. Idk why but it's always charging the battery, acts like i’m in battery charge mode. At cruise control 60kph it usually consumes around 5,5-6 l but now it’s around 9-10 l and charges the battery with 12-17 kWh. Any guesses?

Sometimes it works as it should (consumes around 4-5 l at 60 kph cruise control) and then out of nowhere it's charging the battery, consumes twice as it should.

Any guesses ? :(

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,861 Posts
What mode are you in? It looks like Hybrid HOLD?

That will maintain a uniform SOC, so at times it will use the engine to replenish what has been used. Sadly, at low speeds and/or city driving the car will be spending a lot more time recharging, as it doesn't have the speed to recuperate by braking or high RPM.

By the way, you should not be looking at the instantaneous consumption as a measure of performance of the engine. If it is a normal commute, measure and monitor the consumption over the whole distance.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What mode are you in? It looks like Hybrid HOLD?

That will maintain a uniform SOC, so at times it will use the engine to replenish what has been used. Sadly, at low speeds and/or city driving the car will be spending a lot more time recharging, as it doesn't have the speed to recuperate by braking or high RPM.

By the way, you should not be looking at the instantaneous consumption as a measure of performance of the engine. If it is a normal commute, measure and monitor the consumption over the whole distance.
It does not have Hybrid Hold, I have only 3 modes and this is just normal Hybrid - it’s the same as Hybrid Auto.

Consumption over a long distance was unusual too, it’s always around 7l now it was around 10l.

In the other hand, it has never done this before. In Hybrid mode it never charged back my battery from the engine, only when i was braking, so this behaviour was really new to me at all.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, hybrid in 3mode GTE, is equivalent to Hybrid Hold. It maintains SOC.

What is "long distance"? Temperature?

10l/100km is really a lot for the Hybrid mode, if as you say you are driving at 60km/h.
9,8 l / 100km was my consumption on a 47 km long distance. Full GTE or Hybrid mode, temp. was 7-9 °C and Oil temp. was aroun 75 - 90 °C.
My avg. speed was 38 km/h, sometimes I was driving at 90-100 km/h but in the 80% of the route I was driving calmly.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,861 Posts
9,8 l / 100km was my consumption on a 47 km long distance. Full GTE or Hybrid mode, temp. was 7-9 °C and Oil temp. was aroun 75 - 90 °C.
My avg. speed was 38 km/h, sometimes I was driving at 90-100 km/h but in the 80% of the route I was driving calmly.
There is lots going on here.... first of all you did not mention GTE mode! It can easily get you above 7l/100km and if you are accelerating hard, 10l/100km is not too far off.

Also, how did you switch between the different modes? Obviously, GTE is button push, but from GTE to Hybrid? I have always suspected that GTE mode is not easily cleared, even if you switch back to Hybrid (by pushing the GTE button). The car maintains some remnants of the GTE mode, for example trying to maintain 50% battery. I think the only way to completely clear the GTE code from the car was to switch to EV first and then go back to Hybrid. Or full restart of the car.

And finally, why use the ICE on a 47km trip? In EV mode, you should just about make it with probably 5 or 6km on the ICE in winter. With EV mode and some Hybrid HOLD in my old GTE, I could do that distance with ~1l/100km consumption. Anyway, I know GTE is fun but that thing is thirsty... :devilish:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is lots going on here.... first of all you did not mention GTE mode! It can easily get you above 7l/100km and if you are accelerating hard, 10l/100km is not too far off.

Also, how did you switch between the different modes? Obviously, GTE is button push, but from GTE to Hybrid? I have always suspected that GTE mode is not easily cleared, even if you switch back to Hybrid (by pushing the GTE button). The car maintains some remnants of the GTE mode, for example trying to maintain 50% battery. I think the only way to completely clear the GTE code from the car was to switch to EV first and then go back to Hybrid. Or full restart of the car.

And finally, why use the ICE on a 47km trip? In EV mode, you should just about make it with probably 5 or 6km on the ICE in winter. With EV mode and some Hybrid HOLD in my old GTE, I could do that distance with ~1l/100km consumption. Anyway, I know GTE is fun but that thing is thirsty... :devilish:
Based on my previous experiences, it doesn’t count if I drive in GTE or Hybrid, because my driving style is really fast. I prefer GTE mode bc of the sound and the heavier gas reaction, and tougher steering. This is why I did not mention GTE mode. In the post my problem was that I was driving really calm and had a really slow velocity, but the car still consumed more than it usually does.
I’ll check on that thing you said about the GTE switch back to Hybrid, mine turns off the GTE mode totally, does not recuperate, and the steering becomes soft too. I did not notice any difference between simply turning off GTE mode or switching to EV mode and then to Hybrid.
And lastly, with my driving style de max. 41 km E-range is only around ~25 km, and I don’t have a charger at home only at my work. So on the daily daily drives (work-home) I do use it in full E-mode, but this 47km trip was around town with 2 stops in it, and in E-mode wouldn’t have been able to make it. 😁😁😁

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
I've seen this behaviour and it annoys me.

It seems to happen if you ever use GTE mode on the journey, the car 'forgets' that it is back in normal hybrid mode, and keeps charging the battery to a higher SOC assuming you will use GTE power.

I've not found a way to stop it, without actually physically stopping the car and restarting it.

·
Registered
Kona64
1,865 Posts
From the display shot the car isn't in GTE mode, and with 22km on the GOM it's not doing the 0-5km recharge.
So the only other "normal" situation for that display might be when the ICE has just woken and running warm up whilst you are driving down a very steep hill pressing the brake pedal
you haven't mentioned this, so assume not, so ..... agree something is not right.

Does the GOM / battery level increase ie does it stay like this for 5mins+ and does the battery end up full ?

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,861 Posts
I've seen this behaviour and it annoys me.

It seems to happen if you ever use GTE mode on the journey, the car 'forgets' that it is back in normal hybrid mode, and keeps charging the battery to a higher SOC assuming you will use GTE power.

I've not found a way to stop it, without actually physically stopping the car and restarting it.
Try going through EV mode. While driving enable EV mode and then back to Hybrid.

To the OP: you are pushing the car hard, GTE mode and hard acceleration, I am not surprised that you are getting high consumption.

·
Registered
VW Passat GTE
676 Posts
I have always suspected that GTE mode is not easily cleared, even if you switch back to Hybrid (by pushing the GTE button)
Interesting, I've not seen this behaviour on my GTE. I've had it in hybrid auto, flicked it into GTE mode for a bit of fun, pressed the GTE mode again and it goes back to hybrid and behaves exactly as I'd expect... are/were both of you in older cars? Wonder if it's something they fixed for newer cars, or if it only happens in Golfs...

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,861 Posts
Interesting, I've not seen this behaviour on my GTE. I've had it in hybrid auto, flicked it into GTE mode for a bit of fun, pressed the GTE mode again and it goes back to hybrid and behaves exactly as I'd expect... are/were both of you in older cars? Wonder if it's something they fixed for newer cars, or if it only happens in Golfs...
MY15... so old.

It did behave as a bug, and I remember getting in the habit of going GTE=>EV=>Hybrid HOLD. Mine was also a 5 mode car: EV, Hybrid Auto, Hybrid HOLD, Charge and GTE.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts