Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

"You can't prepare for everything, Sean O'Grady finds after a desperate hunt for a charging station on the M1" - but when you read the article he must have had enough range to get home and the first charger he tried worked and was even on free vend. (He then charged for 50 minutes and got home with 124 miles to spare!)

·
Registered
1,342 Posts

"You can't prepare for everything, Sean O'Grady finds after a desperate hunt for a charging station on the M1" - but when you read the article he must have had enough range to get home and the first charger he tried worked and was even on free vend. (He then charged for 50 minutes and got home with 124 miles to spare!)
So... FUD then?

·
Registered
984 Posts
The Leaf GOM is absolute bilge.
Mine was claiming a range of 279 when it left the showroom. With 500 miles of 'history' (which they claim to use) available it's still alleging 227 whereas more realistically I'd put it at around 198.

Not yet had a long enough single trip to get a better forecast

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
But very amusing, I have always viewed it as an oddly located part of the infotainment system.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The Indy used to be a decent newspaper. Since they went online only, they're increasingly going for lowest common demoninator clickbait. It's s shame. Awful website too.

TL:DR "I had to charge my car unexpectedly. It's often a nightmare. But this time it was free and I put way more than I needed in"

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
I had calculated, aided by the Leaf's uncannily intelligent and accurate computer readout

Total school boy error right there. The Leaf GOM is absolute bilge.
For journalists Clarke's third law generally applies to anything more sophisticated than a kettle:
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

·
Premium Member
2019 Leaf 40
6,398 Posts
I wonder if the Leaf GOM is more wrong in winter as it doesn't allow for loss of capacity due to cold? There's definitely a bigger gap between what it says it can do and what it actually does. I assume there is a temperature where it's actually right obviously...

·
Zoe Devotee
8,565 Posts
So a success story turned into a stressful failure even though nothing went wrong, he didn't run out, the rickety EH infrastructure worked, he even got a free charge but still he complained. Dickhole!

He's right about the rickety infrastructure but unlucky for him it worked.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
To be fair, he has a point:
If you could just turn up at any charging point, with little or no chance of a delay, plug in, charge up in a quarter of an hour, and pay anywhere by any card there would be fewer excuses for refusing to go green. Otherwise I'm not sure my nerves can stand electric motoring all that well.
It's just a shame the actual story documenting his success in EV long distance travel is turned around to create fear, uncertainty and creating doubt. Of course, FUD generates click count, honesty doesn't.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
To be fair, he has a point:

It's just a shame the actual story documenting his success in EV long distance travel is turned around to create fear, uncertainty and creating doubt. Of course, FUD generates click count, honesty doesn't.
It's possible he originally wrote about his successful trip, but was ordered to skew the story the other way by his editor, who was frightened by a Tesla a few years ago.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Ignorance does not give one licence to be stupid. If you buy a technology and are ignorant about its limits, you can't blame the technology; you can only blame your ignorance and lack of preparedness. I remember when people were told to be careful with roaming fees and they still got invoices of thousands of euros.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I wonder if the Leaf GOM is more wrong in winter as it doesn't allow for loss of capacity due to cold? There's definitely a bigger gap between what it says it can do and what it actually does. I assume there is a temperature where it's actually right obviously...
Today, in the wet, my 24kWh 13 Reg Leaf started out with 100% charge and the GOM saying 84 miles!! After two short return trips totaling 25.7 miles the SOC display said 49% - I make this a real world range of about 50 miles for cold wet conditions.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Range anxiety is subjective even with ICE, we are all somewhere on the spectrum :LOL:

I know people who get stressed out by anything other than full tank and on the other extreme others who just happily live with a fuel tank empty light on.

I think the article would suggest that our reporter here is somewhere in the nervous end of the spectrum. For balance we just need reporters on other parts of the scale to do the same.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
25,216 Posts
There are other problems though, and it is a journalist's job to "illustrate" future things rather than necessarily limit their discussion to things that have happened.

For example, at entirely my own dumb fault, I was on course to arrive home after a motorway trip with so much mileage I drove in a 'spirited' fashion, which turned out to be a mistake.

At my last roundabout I took the wrong exit and ended up back on the motorway, adding not much more to my journey (an ICE would have had no issues with this unintended diversion at all). This lead to a catastrophic course of further traffic events which meant I arrived at the one and only charger that could help me out of this self-made predicament with only 5 miles remaining, and if it didn't work then I was, capital F, F'd. An Ioniq had just started charging, like 30 seconds, to do a full charge which he took, a good 45 min wait.

Bad, bad, very bad, a big red cross next to EVs 'pros' column.

Similarly the other day I came across a late night trunk road closure and the proposed diversion would have taken me far beyond my range, as I had only planned for arriving home with 10 miles margin. I had to plan out a cross-country route down narrow roads that might not have even been for road vehicles (difficult to tell in the dark!) and I was none too pleased.

I am afraid the world of short-range cars is not all roses and butterflies. A failure to plan is really bad, but unintended circumstances are potentially ruinous.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Don't you get tired of the relentless negative slant in most coverage of E.V's.

I recall being reasonably well informed on charging matters before purchasing my car, but still feeling twinges of nerves on my first-ever journey (which was actually rather a long one).....but, encountered no problems at all; my confidence in the Ioniq and its GOM, helped by watching many TeslaBjørn videos.

Journalists really should do more thoughtful research and not place themselves always in the place of the "ab-initio", for that is not a reasonable starting point for many prospective E.V switchers.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Don't you get tired of the relentless negative slant in most coverage of E.V's
The EV coverage seemed quite balanced. The charging infrastructure should be rightly critisised. A couple of low power unreliable chargers in prime ICE locations at MSA's using a crap app is just not acceptable. As the article says in it's final paragraph.

"If you could just turn up at any charging point, with little or no chance of a delay, plug in, charge up in a quarter of an hour, and pay anywhere by any card there would be fewer excuses for refusing to go green. Otherwise I'm not sure my nerves can stand electric motoring all that well. "

Pretty much spot on in my experience.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Journalists really should do more thoughtful research and not place themselves always in the place of the "ab-initio", for that is not a reasonable starting point for many prospective E.V switchers.
Did you have any car before EVs? Do you remember how much research you did before getting them? I remember ignoring my dad telling me to fill-up before reaching 1/4 on the fuel gauge and ignoring that, without ever suffering from it. If EVs are as practical as ICE, why should it be any different? If it is any different, why should we expect a journalist to expect and be happy about the differences?

Is it possible to have stress-free EV experience? Probably. Should we expect everyone to know enough for that? I can't see why.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Did you have any car before EVs? Do you remember how much research you did before getting them? I remember ignoring my dad telling me to fill-up before reaching 1/4 on the fuel gauge and ignoring that, without ever suffering from it. If EVs are as practical as ICE, why should it be any different? If it is any different, why should we expect a journalist to expect and be happy about the differences?

Is it possible to have stress-free EV experience? Probably. Should we expect everyone to know enough for that? I can't see why.
If your experience prior to getting your own car was limited to that of EVs, I believe you would have struggled owning a ICE vehicle. You would have had the expectation to arrive home or at the supermarket and fill up the tank from some pipe, maybe the gas pipe; or you would have left your car at the pump and go for a meal. That is the difference, it's cultural, societal: everyone knows how ICEV operate because everyone have them and the generation before had them, so knowledge flows easily. Because it is ingrained in our culture so deeply, we don't think other ways are reasonable.

Many people in Romania have used their home air conditioning units as HVAC units for a pretty long time, because no one taught them otherwise, there was no cultural knowledge about how those things work because no one before my generation had access to such machines to know otherwise. Machines were misused, some people got ill, but overtime, because of knowledge sharing, people got to know how to use them.

If future EV owners come to the technology because of the misleading information given by journalists, they will despise the technology, not the journalist. I don't think many EV drivers will tell you that owning an EV is or should be as practical as owning an ICEV; they have their strengths and weaknesses. We capitalize on strengths and we mitigate the weaknesses. The fact that a journalist doesn't appreciate these differences and assumes that an EV has to behave exactly like an ICEV doesn't make the technology impractical, it makes the journalist ignorant.

Journalists have the ability to disseminate information, they have the privilege to be in an informational authoritative position (they have the authority to change people's perceptions). This is a responsibility and it comes with obligations and two of those obligations are research and integrity. Having expectations are neither research, nor integrity.

Why not have a featured article, a 500 miles drive with an EV owner, to get to understand how they think when it comes to driving their car? Make it a live-stream! Put the transcript online. Maybe that would make some readers think "hey, that lifestyle would work fine for me", while others will think "well, I will never get an EV because that lifestyle sucks"; and that's fine! Actually, that's far better than what many journalists are doing today: "i got a car for a week and it sucks".

Today my arguments with many potential EV owners revolve around what's being said in the press and the first thing I tell them is to not trust people that have not owned such an item from less than a few months, because you cannot draw a solid conclusion if you're ignorant about things.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
But we are talking about shoddy workmanship and unreliable chargers. If the networks were as reliable and easy to use as the providers profess then it would be a different story.(EH told me they were 99.96% reliable ) I did have EV's for three years and know all the pitfalls. I will not be going back to EV anytime soon. Biggest problem is unreliable charger networks. This is hard to predict in advance without actually driving an EV for six months. Tesla/Fastned/Instavolt/Ionity are the gold standard. EH at the MSA's are totally unreliable and many do not even have CCS connectors. EH also have a monopoly and until others are allowed in at MSA's using an EV for long trips is just not on. Sadly I will continue with my ICE car until things seriously improve.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts