Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Leaf 40kWh Tekna - love it
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of these look like they could make nice city commuters.

·
Registered
5,718 Posts
Since India and Pakistan are RHD (and the UK has significant Indian/Pakistani communities) I can easily see Indian EVs coming here sometime.
The catch is probably NCAP ratings as I suspect India's equivalent may not be comparable. Very happy to be proved wrong on that.

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
2,681 Posts
Since India and Pakistan are RHD (and the UK has significant Indian/Pakistani communities) I can easily see Indian EVs coming here sometime.
The catch is probably NCAP ratings as I suspect India's equivalent may not be comparable. Very happy to be proved wrong on that.
I think that you are right. But you'd also find that any tiny city car will not get many EuroNCAP stars no matter where they are made.
Currently European manufacturers get round this by calling the vehicles quadricycles and avoiding the need to test them at all.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Safety is safety wherever you are. I would not be surprised to see an Indian version, I NCAP, covering more or less the same safety issues. If they want to export cars that is what I would expect them to do. The ones I looked at on that site were not heaps of junk and could fit into a niche the UK.

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
1,120 Posts
I’m havid a cold sweaty dream reminiscing on the satety of the Reva ... we know how that ended!

Reactions: mikegs

·
Registered
5,718 Posts
Safety is safety wherever you are. I would not be surprised to see an Indian version, I NCAP, covering more or less the same safety issues. If they want to export cars that is what I would expect them to do. The ones I looked at on that site were not heaps of junk and could fit into a niche the UK.
I think Indian attitudes to safety are, on average, somewhat more fatalistic than European ones.
The cars are certainly not 'heaps of junk', but when you consider the amount of stuff that goes into getting a high NCAP safety rating then the additional cost and weight are significant.
If a 'UK' Indian EV costs £15k and a similar EU built Toyota (for example) is £16k then market penetration of the Indian one is likely to be limited. Hyundai, Kia, et al are still climbing out of that - some others are still attacking the foothills (eg. Suzuki, Daewoo, even Subaru in mainstream).

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't think you will be able to discount electric cars from India for long. India is progessing rapidly in most technological areas but still has a massive and ingrained income gap between rich and poor. There really is no reason why they can't make cars as safe as anyone else.
What's more, there will always be a place for a car that does not have all the gizmos we see now on a lot of EVs.

·
Registered
262 Posts
They did try launching the e2o in the UK, but I'm not sure they managed to sell many, though howmanyleft.co.uk are reporting that there's 13 Mahindras with 'unknown' engine size still licenced in the UK. One of the downsides of the UK model was that despite the fact that they fitted Chademo DC charging on some variants, it wasn't at all rapid charging, and took an age to charge a tiny battery pack.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts