Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post on here and hoping for a more helpful response that from VW!

Had a VW e-Golf for about 3 weeks now and love it. I do have an issue though with, albeit initially, having to guess as to the remaining range. I seem to be getting around 140 miles on a charge (not that Ive ever run it to below 25 miles) but no matter how long it’s left to charge when I first switch on in the morning it registers no more than 125miles. The stated range is 186 which I realise is fantasy but I think WLTP is 144, so why when charged to 100% does it indicate <125 miles?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
596 Posts
I'd say it's just down to the software.. I'd rather that than the other way round though, my Nissan e-nv200 always says around 165 miles once fully charged but real range is 130 to 140 & that's with me taking it easy with a mix of town & A rd use between 50 & 60 mph max...
My old ioniq was the best at calculating range, it was spot on 99% of the time.. Don't understand why all manufacturers don't use same algorithms as Hyundai..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd say it's just down to the software.. I'd rather that than the other way round though, my Nissan e-nv200 always says around 165 miles once fully charged but real range is 130 to 140 & that's with me taking it easy with a mix of town & A rd use between 50 & 60 mph max...
My old ioniq was the best at calculating range, it was spot on 99% of the time.. Don't understand why all manufacturers don't use same algorithms as Hyundai..
Sure you’re right but it just seems strange to quote 186 or 144 miles and that isn’t ever indicated.
Hyundai next I think. Considering either that or a Kia assuming real world range is north of 225 miles. Very impressed with the golf nonetheless.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I know, Its very frustrating, I do wonder sometimes how these things get signed off..
It needs an industry standard for how the GOM is calculated... My Hyundai got more accurate the longer I drove it, presume it averages over long term... Whereas my Nissan seems to calculate it from the last few miles before a charge...
My sights are set back on a Hyundai or Kia for my next EV..

·
Registered
640 Posts
You eventually get the hang of how far you expect your car to go in certain conditions or certain styles of driving. The EPA estimate of 124 miles is most accurate in my opinion, but easily exceeded with efficient driving.

My eGolf GOM lives in cloud cuckoo land when it's charged to full, but after a few miles it settles down. When you get to low state of charge the GOM is usually very accurate. The miles displayed on the GOM depends on the efficiency of your last journey. When you live at the top of a hill learn to ignore what it says initially.

What I do find useful on the Golf, if you're going a longer journey rather than round and round a city, is the range view in the sat nav. It's usually remarkably accurate, seems to take account of terrain and general speed of the roads.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts