Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been asked to start collating information to prove that as the current fleet of medium size diesel vans are returned to the lease company, they can be exchanged for Electric vans. As the only options appear to be Nissan or Renault vans, I think the Nissan wins on cargo capacity and ability to Rapid charge. Although Rapid charging is not a deal breaker there could be a few times a year when it is needed.

Has anyone else looked at moving from diesel to electric vans at work. Guess this type of niche market means good amounts of business may come to Nissan. I did have a short test drive in the ENV200. It definitely wouldn't win any 0-60 race, but seemed reasonable for handling and had decent cargo space.

·
The best there is at what I do
10,630 Posts
Oxford Office Furniture here has a fleet of Nissans that deliver office furniture mainly to London, they are all fitted with tow bars and tow small box trailers, drop them a line they are very friendly.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
We replaced ours with the ENV200 as we had access to free charging and did high miles (22-30k a year) however we bough ex-demo for a crazy reduced price. Saved us a fortune, and we chose not to service and it made no difference (we did tyres ourselves).

It's also worth knowing they are much nicer to drive. All I'd say is range in the real world is about 120miles. If that works for you and you can get a good deal on the vans (and there are good deals) you can probably save a further load of cash in not needing to service them and not often needing break pads.

You can throw 100k+ miles on them and they will still drive like new. They also still have great second hand value.

It's all about what you initially pay for them. I guess it depends if they have to be brand new or if you could get away with nearly new ones with 1-2k on the clock.

You DO NOT want the Nissan satnav unit - it's awful. Go with a mid range van with the heated seats but without the head unit and fit an android unit to it.

Of course we did this when the demand for them was dead and dealers were making crazy offers to unload them. London has made this go away recently.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Assuming that you have the ability to fit the charging infrastructure and the range isn't an issue then it makes so much sense. They hold their value well and the eNV200 is reliable but is subject to "rapidgate" if you want to rapid charge more than once a day.
You haven't said the business type, but if it is construction related beware that the batteries run down quickly if used as heaters at break times. The Renault offers the option of a diesel powered heater in the crew version which is a good compromise, but the van itself sucks as a driving experience in comparison to the eNV200.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The vehicle is for moving people and stuff around a site. Probably around 20-40 miles per week. But with occasional longer journeys. I had a chat with the Furniture company. Very good feedback and comments on the vans.

It's just a pity that there is no other options on the market. I posted in another thread asking if Tesla had considered a variant of the Model 3. With a cargo conversion it would just be what the van/mpv sector needs. Keep the suspension rating of the LR and use the SR+ battery pack.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have to do my first journey in an ENV200 - at around 180miles. From Maidstone area to Newport. So thinking if the WLTP is about 120 miles I should be stopping around the bracknell area after around 70miles. Would 1 stop be realistic or as it's Chademo, should I be trying Ecotricity? Does the van have pre-conditioning?

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
You'll need to keep your speed down to get close to WLTP but 70 miles should be reasonable - but no way will you get the remaining miles in one go. The Chademo is sensible but beware of #Rapidgate. You'll get reduced charging rates after the first charge, particularly if the pack is hot from a high speed run. Two stops should be fine, but always have a plan B (and C) if planning on using Electric Highway.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi I’ve just covered just over 1000miles in my new env200 costing around £35. In home charging. I am an electrician and would say my constant loading is around 160kg of weight with a 3 bar rack my average mileage is around 1200 miles a month and my daily full charge is great and I like a warm cab it shows 29% regen and 2.4 kWh average . You say it’s slow but I think you will be hard pressed to beat it’s power against same size vans I’ve never felt It lacking when keeping up with traffic. iam confident I have the right van having just sold my Vauxhall’s combo and now selling my transit t350. both of which were good but slower just got to get used too less space

good luck go with the change over

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
So based on the above driving your range is around 80 miles, and on a long Mway journey you'll exchange the warm cab for speed cursing the absence of a heat pump.
It's an excellent van but long distance high speed work is not its forte. When it gets to the normal work that you described it will be in its element.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts