Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So is it me or what we get in the UK in terms of infotainment is plain rubbish? It looks like other countries have a much better menu system with much better options and information:

This is what we get in the UK:

Reactions: Neilew

·
Registered
843 Posts
My understanding is that India and Thailand and possibly other countries in Asia, have a different head unit which runs the i-Smart app utilising web enabled data connections.
According to Bjorn Nyland who has produced various Youtube videos showing the car and the i-Smart app, one reason why the app is not available in Europe is as a consequence of GDPR legislation...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well that’s a real shame :(

Reactions: Neilew

·
Registered
276 Posts
Apple CarPlay and Android Auto are fully supported in UK and Europe.

SatNav from Waze is far better than any InCar SatNav, and is always up to date.

Deezer, TuneIn Radio, Audiobooks, just three of many apps fully supported for music and audio playback.

Full voice control of all phone functions.

What you don't get is a remote app to get info on your charge level and to preheat the car on those cold winter mornings.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,221 Posts
The benefit on the UK system is its pretty uncluttered, so nice big easy to use buttons on screen. Makes miss-keying less likely.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
a consequence of GDPR legislation...
that sounds like utter bullsh*t. Compare with Waze, where you can agree to being tracked on all your journeys with location and speed being supplied to Waze in return for near real-time route optimisation.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
that sounds like utter bullsh*t. Compare with Waze, where you can agree to being tracked on all your journeys with location and speed being supplied to Waze in return for near real-time route optimisation.
The reason being given is that the servers are outside the EU and not covered by GDPR, so not compliant.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
The reason being given is that the servers are outside the EU and not covered by GDPR, so not compliant.
well, but given global availability of cloud services, I have to wonder about the tech skills problem that stops them running a service in europe :cool:

·
Registered
276 Posts
  1. well, but given global availability of cloud services, I have to wonder about the tech skills problem that stops them running a service in europe :cool:

Possibly their servers also currently use Huawei hardware systems.

EU countries do not want their servers operating in Europe - and for very good reasons IMO.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Possibly their servers also currently use Huawei hardware systems.
EU countries do not want their servers operating in Europe - and for very good reasons IMO.
that seems more plausible, that they used Huawei data comms equipment and maybe servers (but chances are they run linux so they could easily use Dell) and maybe are locked into using Huawei data services in China and they deferred deploying any infrastructure in Europe until the matter of Huwei kit was resolved.

·
Registered
843 Posts
You may describe it as utter bullsh*t - I suggest you discuss it with Bjorn - he mentions GDPR several times referring to the absence of app in Europe, in the text Q/A responses attached to his YouTube video 'MG ZS EV preheating fail'

·
Registered
235 Posts
There is also an issue of market expectations. Pretty much every car manufacturer offers better connected functionality in far eastern markets, especially far eastern brands. The Western markets simply have different demands.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts