Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon

Wonder if anyone else has had this issue and been able to rectify it. Last night I started copying a cd to the HDD as I’ve done many times before. Got to my destination before the full cd had copied. Powered down intending to finish recording once I resumed my journey.

However since then I can’t access any recordings on the HDD and can’t continue recording all the screen says when I select HDD is “reading HDD”. The radio works fine and all other functions seem to work ok. I’ve disconnected the 12v battery for a good half hour but I still have the same error.

Any Ideas
Thanks in advance

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,543 Posts
I've not come across that and I would have thought that this sort of situation would have been thought of before but I don't have my Infotainment manual to check. The only suggestion I can think of is to try a factory reset but this will lose all existing settings and possibly the recordings.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice. Tried that but I think that only resets the vehicle settings that you make eg. Auto locking, alarm when cable removed etc. Was hoping there would be a way of either formatting the HDD or rebooting the system from within the settings somewhere but as of yet I’m none the wiser unless there’s a secret menu somewhere
Thanks

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,543 Posts
Instructions from the manual I could find online.
Deleting personal information
The navigation system can record
and store destinations and personal
information such as names and
addresses.
It is recommended that this
information be deleted when selling
or disposing of the vehicle:
■ Last destinations
■ Address book, Favourite route,
Preset Destinations and HDD
Music Files

It may be that the HD is goosed and I seem to remember that if you can find a secondhand replacement it will need to be coded to the car.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for getting back

I too found that in the infotainment manual. Seems there is no way of resetting everything to as new status, looks like everything has to be done individually.
So far I’ve reset back to factory settings, rebooted by disconnecting the 12v battery for half an hour and checked after fully charging the car. I think you could be right with the call of the HDD being shot at. I suppose I could ask Pentagon Vauxhall if they are able to do anything when it has its service in May.
Probably be cheaper to get an external hard drive of some sort or a large USB stick. You never know being an Ampera it might magically sort it’s self out some time in the future.

Many Thanks

·
Registered
298 Posts
I can hear the HDD head in mine working - ie making regular HDD sounds. Look up on YouTube click of death if your not familiar with HDD's - then have a listen. If you hear that sound then you have diagnosed the problem. It's possible for the drive to not spin at all or suffer another failure, perhaps even software corruption but at least you can rule out a possibility!

I think I saw on the Volt USA forum a guide to replacing the drive but I may be confusing this with another car.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info. Just had a listen and I can hear a faint click every 10 seconds or so, so maybe that’s the issue. It’s a shame there isn’t a button combination to press that will reset the infotainment system fully. Maybe there is and GM are just keeping quiet about it, I’ve tried searching and I’ve found the reset for the Bolt but not the Ampera/Volt.
I’ll have a look and see if I can find the instructions for replacing the HDD, pretty sure it has to be coded to the car tho but you never know.
Thanks for the info.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,543 Posts
Unfortunately, I would expect it to be coded to the car. Someone (European mainland I think) tried to access the HDD out of the car and it needs a password and they were unable to crack it. Their plan, I'm sure, was to add a larger drive.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts