Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My poor old Ampera which worked faultlessly for nearly four years has been getting a bit iffy lately - the infotainment stack just does not boot when you turn on the car. I can live without sounds, but the touch buttons don't work either so no HV, demisting etc. After about twenty minutes the system usually boots up and works fine for the rest of the day. Back to black next day.
If I leave the demister on when I switch the car off, it will come on again next day even if the infotainment has not booted, so I can can at least clear the screen and get warm. Clobbers the mileage though.
I wonder if anyone has seen this kind of fault or has any suggestions? The 12V battery was fine, but I changed it anyway without any improvement.

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
Sounds to me like connection problems somewhere. There's a ton of fuses in Ampy, so I'd work my way through the lot, at least the slim-blade type. There's one set under the bonnet near the passenger, another set to RHS of driver, accessible when you open the door, not sure if there's a matching set on passenger side, and another set in boot at LHS behind a panel. Get a fuse-extractor tweezer & pull them out 1 by 1, examine for signs of corrosion, squirt the whole box with switch-cleaner spray & put them back in. Be careful, it's easy to pull one out that's by an empty slot, and forget (or not notice!) where it goes back!

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
just a quick aside, when was the 12V battery last changed? So many gremlins seem to have a root cause in this lump of lead :(

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input. I re-seated all the fuses, but it does not seem to be a connection issue. Every morning it fails to start, but will kick off start after a long time. Once started it all works faultlessly for the rest of the day. It feels more like a leaky capacitor not charging up properly in a reset circuit or something like that.

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
Hmm, got something like that on my 5 yr old PC - takes ages to boot from cold some mornings, hanging on a USB device test, but a quick forced power-off, then power on again always boots at usual high speed.

Try the usual power-up that fails to boot properly, then switch off for 15 secs. Then see if another power-up works properly. Might give a lazy/cold reset circuit just enough of a prod/boost to persuade it to wake up properly!

If that fails, try leaving some mince pies & a glass of sherry in there overnight, may make the gremlins a bit happier! :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmm, got something like that on my 5 yr old PC - takes ages to boot from cold some mornings, hanging on a USB device test, but a quick forced power-off, then power on again always boots at usual high speed.

Try the usual power-up that fails to boot properly, then switch off for 15 secs. Then see if another power-up works properly. Might give a lazy/cold reset circuit just enough of a prod/boost to persuade it to wake up properly!

If that fails, try leaving some mince pies & a glass of sherry in there overnight, may make the gremlins a bit happier! :)
Well it went pear shaped at the moment I decided to buy a Polestar, so I think the Amp's just got the hump.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Well it went pear shaped at the moment I decided to buy a Polestar, so I think the Amp's just got the hump.
I'm not surprised it feels insulted, betrayed and let down, especially after 4 years of faithfull service. When the P2 breaks down after a few days perhaps you will appreciate it once more...:whistle:
P.S. hope you get it sorted soon!

·
Premium Member
Electron Summit White NK13...107k 91.5 and rising
153 Posts
Similar versions of this problem have been reported over the years on the Volt forum. If you have been through the fuses - especially the ones on the boards at both ends the end of the dashboard (see page 157-159 in the drivers manual), then a couple of things have worked for others as a temporary fix:

1) try turning on the hazard warning flashers - this can kick it into action
2) force the console to do a reset , which involves turning the car off, getting out and closing the door then walking well away with the key (>100ft) and waiting at least 90 seconds. Then go back and restart.

If its not fuse then as it is is obviously not something that is actually broken it does sound like a connection that is perhaps being affected by the recent low temperatures. But to be honest since the whole console relies on a host of different controllers powering up and handshaking it could be one of any number of failure modes. It has also been known to have been caused by a faulty radio or a bluetooth hangup.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Check under the boot for moisture.

I had issues for about 12 months with my entertainment system going into a loop on start up, like an inrush issue causing to crash. Would loop endlessly. Would happen if I tried switching the CD player or USB instead of radio.

It fixed itself, changing 12V made no difference.

But I think the system under the boot is vulnerable to water if you're piling it up with garden waste material or when you get the water pouring off the boot lid in heavy winds.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts