Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spent a couple of hours this afternoon trying to get to grips with the software, pairing phones, sorting music etc and I am now very unhappy with what I have found.

As a software developer it looks to me like this software has only been partially tested not not tested at all for useability! I thought the Leaf software was bad when we first got it but this is even worse!

What is wrong with them? They develop a state of the art car and propulsion system and deliver a rubbish user experience as far as the software is concerned! That should be the easy part!!!

I am actually hopping mad about this and I didn't expect it at all.

I was told many times that the car has a hard drive which we can put music and videos on to. Can I find how to access it? Following the manual it just doesn't do what the manual says it should.

The phone intergration is not complete. The Leaf couldn't access the phonebook on my Nokia phone but when I switched to the latest Android it could. The Ampera won't access my Galaxy Note phonebook!

That is all I have had time to do this afternoon as I spent the best part of an hour trying to get the phones sorted.

To make matters worse, it is the salesman's day off so no help from him until tomorrow.

Humph! :x

·
Registered
145 Posts
You can access the hard drive once you have something on it, I recorded several cd's by inserting them into the slot and pressing the rec (record) button. It records quicker than the music playing. Once finished you can access them as albums, type or individual songs. Did not think I would use the hard drive much, really pleased with it, much easier than carrying CD's around.
Sorry, cannot help with the phones as I do not have a blue tooth phone at the moment, can see there will be much head scratching when I do.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Brian.

Thanks you the help of the crowd here I have now got the hard drive sorted. Looking forward to always having stuff to listen to. :)

Still no joy with the phone. I am sticking with standard bluetooth for now. Perhaps a software update of my phone might fix it.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just to be clear... my Galaxy Note workes fine using standard Bluetooth integration but I can't get SAP to work reliably yet.

I am glad the Galaxy S works as I know there are a lot of them around... very popular phone :)

I should try again once I have a phone software update which should be in the next few weeks as my phone is due to get the "Ice Cream Sandwich" version of Android :)

·
Militant EV driver!
4,936 Posts
The other software thing I'm less than impressed with is the Gracenote CD database. I put in a number one album from a year ago and it didn't recognise it.

I guess US Volts always have this up to date. Vauxhall really need to give the car the telematics link that the Americans have.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The other software thing I'm less than impressed with is the Gracenote CD database. I put in a number one album from a year ago and it didn't recognise it.

I guess US Volts always have this up to date. Vauxhall really need to give the car the telematics link that the Americans have.
I know this is a very old thread, but I've just bought an Ampera and the CD media information thingy via Gracenote is excellent. I have copied several older CD's onto the hard drive, and the Infotainment system picked up the Artist/Album/Tracks as expected. I assumed there was a built in Gracenote database that enabled this.

Yesterday though, my son put in a brand new CD, only a few days after release, and the car picked up the correct album details. My conclusion is that there must be an active mobile data connection to allow this, as we were driving at the time and I'm pretty sure that it didn't get the CD information via my Android's Bluetooth connection.

Any comments? If there is a data connection - is it used (or useable) for anything else?

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
I know this is a very old thread, but I've just bought an Ampera and the CD media information thingy via Gracenote is excellent. I have copied several older CD's onto the hard drive, and the Infotainment system picked up the Artist/Album/Tracks as expected. I assumed there was a built in Gracenote database that enabled this.

Yesterday though, my son put in a brand new CD, only a few days after release, and the car picked up the correct album details. My conclusion is that there must be an active mobile data connection to allow this, as we were driving at the time and I'm pretty sure that it didn't get the CD information via my Android's Bluetooth connection.

Any comments? If there is a data connection - is it used (or useable) for anything else?
CD-TEXT specification allows CDs to be pressed that include track names. It is entirely possible that the entertainment system is picking this up from data it already has on the disc, rather than having to go out onto the Internet and search for it.
CD-Text - Wikipedia

·
Registered
87 Posts
CD-TEXT specification allows CDs to be pressed that include track names. It is entirely possible that the entertainment system is picking this up from data it already has on the disc, rather than having to go out onto the Internet and search for it.
CD-Text - Wikipedia
Well Simon, you learn something new every day! I never knew that, and it's been possible for 20 years! Shame though, as I was hoping that our Ampera had some magic Internet connection :)
Thanks
Ian

1 - 9 of 9 Posts