Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the charger supplied with my Hyundai Kona EV (made by Yura). I got curious and decided to crack it open.
Observations :
The case is pretty well glued together - clearly not designed to be repairable. Perhaps partly to deter people from changing /extending the cable.
It uses seperate relays for live neutral. The relay coils have individual drivers, from individual pins on the main MCU, presumably for some safety redundancy.
The 13A UK mains plug has a temperature sensor, measuring 3.3K at room temperature. Below about 200R, the plug icon turns red and it cuts off the pilot signal to stop the car charging, but surprisingly it does not turn off the mains relays or show a more explicit fault indication. If the sensor is open, it flashes the socket icon but does not inhibit charging.

The RCD trips at 15mA AC. It does not detect DC leakage faults. It doesn't do mains undervoltage detection - it didn't drop out until the mains voltage dropped below 50V. It cannot detect a missing earth.

On the underside of the PCB, there appears to be an option to fit an optocoupler and resistor to test the RCD by creating an actual leak to earth!

There is a test loop through the current transformer ,and it uses this to do a test when the vehicle is connected ( though not if the pilot goes straight from 'open' to 'charging' state, which probably shouldn't happen normally).

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Looking again at the unpopulated parts on the underside, I think if this might actually be for earth detection - the pinout is more plausible for an optocoupler.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Interesting, and it shows how much scope there is for prices for EV parts to fall once competition heats up because they're relatively simple. Amazing to see that granny chargers are being sold for around £200 when there's so little to them.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq
36 Posts
Any chance this can be modified to have a commando plug and charge at 16A ?
Relays are only rated to 16A so may be pushing it ?

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not easily, as you'd need to get the microcontroller to change its PWM waveform to advertise a higher capacity to the car. the Label mentions 12A, presumably for different countries, and there may be a link option somewhere on the board ( or it could be an ID pin on the LED assembly connector, as this has the 6/8/10A printed on it)
However you can buy a 16A EVSE from Aliexpress for $160 so not really worth the hassle.

I've just ordered a couple of cheap 32A portable EVSEs from Aliexpress to take a look at - my guess is that quality will be reasonable but only one way to find out!

US $161.5 5% OFF|6Meter 16Amp EU Schuko Plug IEC 62169 Type 2 Female Plug EV Charging Cable 16A EVSE Portable Type 2 EV Charger for Car Sexy Side-in Battery Cables & Connectors from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you!
The standard does not demand DC leakage detection from a ”portable” charge cable as far as I know. Would be interesting to see how a premium cable like mennekes or delphi behaves tho

1 - 9 of 9 Posts