Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Tesla Model Y, 2022
1,094 Posts
Cool share!

As you can see, these are non-modular and untethered Tritium chargers, so they cost quite a bit of money and are wasteful unless you can command a market like Ionity. In contrast, Tritium RTM/RKM series and Kempower are modular and can share and load balance the power within the hub, so the total cost of a large hub with 8 or 16 chargers would be considerably low.

A Tesla supercharger hub is tethered but modular, and the liquid cooling is shared across chargers neatly hidden underground.

·
Registered
8,960 Posts
Cool share!

As you can see, these are non-modular and untethered Tritium chargers, so they cost quite a bit of money and are wasteful unless you can command a market like Ionity. In contrast, Tritium RTM/RKM series and Kempower are modular and can share and load balance the power within the hub, so the total cost of a large hub with 8 or 16 chargers would be considerably low.

A Tesla supercharger hub is tethered but modular, and the liquid cooling is shared across chargers neatly hidden underground.
How does an untethered Tritium charger, ahem, connect to the car?

·
Registered
Tesla Model Y, 2022
1,094 Posts
What's an untethered supply. I'm trying to learn something.
Depending on the design, the chargers could either share the same cabinet, or the cabinets could be interconnected. This would influence the rate depending on the number of cars and their soc %. In case of ionity, there is no sharing between cabinets, so they can theoretically support full speed on all chargers.
Product Rectangle Font Automotive lighting Line

Product Rectangle Font Line Parallel

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In that first pic, the actual charger will be in a cabinet elsewhere - you can see the DC cables coming in at the bottom, the second looks like it's a self-contained 50kW unit.
That’s right, with Ionity installs you always see a corresponding cabinet, usually fairly close by. The 50kw unit is quite different, note how thin the neutral wire compared with L1,L2, L3. Sorry, that’s the standard resolution of my iPad.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I thought some folks might like a peek inside a new ultra rapid. In comparison to a rapid (see below) the most obvious difference I noticed was the cooling section, presumably for the liquid cooled cable.

View attachment 161617

View attachment 161614
And people moan about the cost of rapid charging.
Everywhere else in life we expect to pay for convenience.

·
Registered
Mercedes EQC 400 4matic
580 Posts
This looks like the typical French Ionity set up, a bank of rapid chargers with 1 separate50kw charger with type 2, chademo and anothwr plud I am not familiar with. where was this photo taken?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This looks like the typical French Ionity set up, a bank of rapid chargers with 1 separate50kw charger with type 2, chademo and anothwr plud I am not familiar with. where was this photo taken?
Yes you are quite correct, Montelimar gets an additional pair of chargers to supplement the existing four. It’s a shame for the Leaf owners that they don’t do that elsewhere, but to be honest it’s rare that I see them being used. There was a Zoe plugged into the AC port when we arrived however.

Tire Car Wheel Land vehicle Cloud

1 - 12 of 12 Posts