Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Full credit to the my Nissan leaf forums for this as I was browsing there when I found the you tube link. It's a video of a guy opening up the power unit. I am guessing this is why Nissan say an upgrade from 3.3 to 6.6 isn't possible. You'd have to pull the lid off (Breaking the seal that is put on in the dust free assembly line) to replace the relevant component.

It is still an interesting video and well worth watching.

·
Registered
585 Posts
All of them? If a guy with a spanner and crowbar can do it on his driveway, then a competent mechanic in a fully equiped main dealer workshop shouldn't have any trouble whipping it apart! :)

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
All of them? If a guy with a spanner and crowbar can do it on his driveway, then a competent mechanic in a fully equiped main dealer workshop shouldn't have any trouble whipping it apart! :)
It's made in a dust free environment for a reason.....

I suspect dealers will just go for straight replacements of the whole part with the faulty unit going back to nissan.

Good news is that both the aftermarket charger upgrade and the batt upgrade we offer don't touch this :-D

·
Registered
585 Posts
Does it really need to be dust free? Are the ones you play with plagued by dust? :)
I've seen 'dust free' labs at Intel, the photos from Sunderland looked more like a plastic green house to stop stuff accidentally falling into the units... :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
7,505 Posts
Does it really need to be dust free? Are the ones you play with plagued by dust? :)
I've seen 'dust free' labs at Intel, the photos from Sunderland looked more like a plastic green house to stop stuff accidentally falling into the units... :rolleyes:
Believe me, it was sparkling compared to the rest of the factory! :eek:

·
Registered
1,999 Posts

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Gen1 but see no reason why it wouldn't work on a Gen2

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Yes Type 2 socket as an extra - not sure as of yet whether it should replace the type1 or go somewhere new...

We're hoping the design will be 'stackable' which would allow up to ~40KW 3 phase charging - maxing out what type 2 allows and more or less matching Chademo.

·
Super Moderator
7,505 Posts
Yes Type 2 socket as an extra - not sure as of yet whether it should replace the type1 or go somewhere new...

We're hoping the design will be 'stackable' which would allow up to ~40KW 3 phase charging - maxing out what type 2 allows and more or less matching Chademo.
Cool stuff! under the bonnet for the 22kwAC unit?

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Charge inlet will be either under the existing charge flap or somewhere creative! We need to prove the concept first then worry about the details. It'd be quite nice to keep the existing J1772 for convenience.

The charger itself will likely be under the boot floor due to the size and need to dissipate heat effectively.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts