Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think my trip next week will be an interesting comparison to the London - Edinburgh trip done yesterday.

I am doing the same route in my 2011 Mk1 with 22K miles on the battery.

I thought that as yesterday's trip was so successful I'd attempt to do exactly the same route and, as far as is possible, try to stick to the same schedule. I shall initially be planning to stop at exactly the same stopping points unless I need to stop for an emergency charge... something that might be necessary in my older Mk1 Leaf. However, should my car be performing better than expected I may look to see if I can cut out any stops and combine some of the legs. I don't want to take any risks but if that is clearly possible then I shall do it.

From the readings on LeafSpy my battery capacity is down about 7% from new so it is possible that my range is also down about 7% on the their Mk2 to start with but the Mk2 is more efficient in other ways so it could be 10% or more down on their range. David said they didn't need to dip into their 10% margin and so I am hoping that I can do the trip without incident and in a similar timescale. In fact as I have no PR stops to make I might do it slightly quicker but that might be balanced by longer charge times that the Mk1 might need. We will see.

Weather may have a more significant impact on my trip as I don't have the heat pump and so I will have to be very careful with the use of heater and demist.

I am not looking for publicity for this trip but if you are interested please follow the details on Twitter, Glympse and my blog at http://purplemud.blogspot.co.uk/ and of course, if anyone fancies meeting up at a charge location just let me know on Twitter... it would be great to hook up with one or two even if all you want to do is have a go at me for being negative. I won't mind :oops:

More details next week.

·
Banned
558 Posts
Good for you - I will certainly track you!
Are you going to do Cornwall - Edinburgh direct?
Don't apologise for being a bit curmudgeonly - every group needs at least one! Just don't labour a point - or try to justify it!
Good speed - safe motoring!

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No Brian. I want to do the trip as closely as possibly to the route the guys took yesterday to get a better comparison on power usage/time etc. But I shall be doing Edinburgh to Cornwall direct after.

Edinburgh to Saltash is about 530 miles so anyone sensible would do that over 2 days with any kind of car so I shall have a more leisurely trip back.

I have no idea where I shall be staying over night at the moment but where ever it is... it shall be cheap (ish). I shall certainly check out ZeroNet as my first choice and if no luck then I might even use the Days Inns and Travelodges at the motorway service areas. They are certainly not my accommodation of choice but hey! They are convenient to charging and meet the budget :) I probably won't be booking up in advance to try to remain as flexible as possible.

OT - Brian, you are not in Cape Coral are you? Been on holiday there many times :)

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Good luck Paul. I'll meet up with you around the North East area. I would think the M1\A1 rapids will now not be an issue as they are relatively close to each other, it will be the last few northern legs that may cause concern. I was however surprised to see the Aston\Hexham leg having more in reserve than expecting but the Hexham A68 north leg may be the problematic one?

Reactions: Paul_Moxhay

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Plans progress...

It looks like the outline plan is:

Thursday 30th - Saltash to Reading M4 Services - 200 miles. Stay in Travelodge Reading Westbound. Eastbound would make more sense given that I am travelling east from Cornwall and then east to Marble Arch in the morning and even more especially as the westbound rapid charger is currently not working, but the hotel price is about half on the westbound for that night so I am more than happy to drive round the block to charge :)

Anyone fancy meeting up for dinner/drink within a sensible single charge return trip range of Reading services?

Friday 31st - Reading to Marble Arch, Marble Arch to London Gateway. This will be an extra charge to get me to Newport Pagnell as I started at Reading. I'll sum the power usage figures for the two legs to give me the first leg figure.
then on to Edinburgh using David's route if possible.

I have yet to confirm that I will be able to charge at Aston Hotel or St Boswells. If not then I shall have to route via Newcastle and the figures from there to Edinburgh will not correspond to their figures but the London to Scotch Corner would still be valid. I will report back once I have contact them to confirm things.

Friday night I am hoping to get in to the BEST WESTERN Kings Manor Hotel, Edinburgh as they have ZeroNet charging. They charge £5 to plug in which is fine but unusual for ZeroNet locations.

Anyone in/around Edinburgh fancy meeting up for dinner/drink?

Saturday 1st/Sunday 2nd - leisurely drive back home to Saltash. It is about 550 miles so definitely a 2 day trip in any car. I have no idea where I will be staying overnight on the way back. I may just wing it :) Any suggestions especially if you fancy meeting up?

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,547 Posts
I will be keeping track and will see how I am placed to be in Edinburgh on Friday evening. Are you aiming for the castle too or just head to the Kings Manor?

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't know it is is possible but if it is I'll aim for the castle first then out to the hotel although this is not cast in stone. If it is not sensible to head for the castle I may just head to the hotel directly but ideally I'd like to go to the castle to get the power figures :)... and to see the castle... I haven't been to Edinburgh for many years so at least I'd like to see the castle even though I won't have any time there.

I am very much open to suggestions for that evening?

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,547 Posts
I'm not well enough up on Edinburgh for places to go. It was a bit of a challenge for me to find the castle, then the Scottish parliament building and then back to the castle. You know what the Ampera satnav is like for entering destinations and even finding the Scottish parliament's address online on my phone did not help much as it's postcode is EH99 1SP and the satnav only goes up to EH15 so it is a case of selecting an individual postcode section then looking for the road/street in there, if no success move on to the next one.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LOL! Do I know the Ampera SatNav or what! I'll be in the Leaf and the Leaf SatNav is SOOOO much better.

Thx for the heads up :)

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
It's a shame I'm not free because I'd love to race you on this trip if we could get the rapid AC chargers working on single phase... my battery capacity and 'fast' ~13kW charging versus your smaller capacity and 50kW 'rapid' charging... I suspect we'd be evenly matched and the competition would require a lot of tactics :)

Personally I'd like to see more of these 'competitions' because they help the general public see EVs as cars.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
It's a shame I'm not free because I'd love to race you on this trip if we could get the rapid AC chargers working on single phase... my battery capacity and 'fast' ~13kW charging versus your smaller capacity and 50kW 'rapid' charging... I suspect we'd be evenly matched and the competition would require a lot of tactics :)

Personally I'd like to see more of these 'competitions' because they help the general public see EVs as cars.
That sounds like the Top Gear challenge they'd never do.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@Kevin Sharpe That would be great fun!

I am always up for any sensible challenge with my Nissan Leaf. If it is legal and safe and not likely to damage the car then I'm up for it!

·
Militant EV driver!
4,937 Posts

This is effectively already settled. The LEAF wins, even with the now superior Tesla HPC network.

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
This is effectively already settled. The LEAF wins, even with the now superior Tesla HPC network.
Theory and practice are different... 400 miles in sub 12 hours should be achievable by both cars if the AC charging is working on the dual chargers... as I said it would be interesting for both cars because it requires tactics such as whether to divert for HPC, when to charge in the battery cycle, etc.

Personally I like the competitive element of this run which is why I suggested before that a 'race' would be more interesting for the participants. Maybe London to Edinburgh and back would push competitors, cars, and charging infrastructure.

Your run made sense on the third anniversary of the BBC hatchet job but I think we should widen out the scope of EVents so that everyone can participate if they wish.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'd be up for that race and if we staggered the start we would not conflict the chargers. Is this possible now Kevin? Could you use the ac side of the chargers now?

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
I'd be up for that race and if we staggered the start we would not conflict the chargers. Is this possible now Kevin? Could you use the ac side of the chargers now?
The last time we tried the dual chargers tripped out when taking more than 32A single phase AC... we plan to revisit this when we get a moment but realistically that won't happen for a couple of months given our current work load.

I think we could all leave together because Tesla drivers would probably use different chargers from Leafs... however, one of the race tactics might be to drive fast to a charger and use it to preventing other cars from charging :p If we did London to Edinburgh to London then charging delays might even out over time... haven't thought this through much but might be a lot fun :D

Personally I'd prefer to do this in the summer when we have more light... however, I would be interested in your results if you go this weekend.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
@Kevin Sharpe This weekend is happening unless something unexpected happens to stop it.

I am very interested in this "Leaf vs Tesla" event. Can I suggest that I start a separate thread so as not to hijack this thread which I am keen we keep to discuss my trip this week :)

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
I am very interested in this "Leaf vs Tesla" event. Can I suggest that I start a separate thread so as not to hijack this thread which I am keen we keep to discuss my trip this week :)
Absolutely... lots ideas how we might get EVs competing against one another and have some fun... will you start the thread?

·
Militant EV driver!
4,937 Posts
Friday 31st - I have yet to confirm that I will be able to charge at Aston Hotel or St Boswells. If not then I shall have to route via Newcastle and the figures from there to Edinburgh will not correspond to their figures but the London to Scotch Corner would still be valid. I will report back once I have contact them to confirm things.
You technically don't need to go to Aston Hotel. That was a diversion for PR that we originally hadn't intended. Scotch Corner to Hexham was doable over the A68 or you can go via Washington or Durham services on the A1.

Newton St Boswells is definitely available 24/7, just don't expect to find any staff or support. It's a pain to find in the driving rain on a dark night. I've marked it on the photo here.

NSBlocation.PNG

Knowing now what I learnt about the Leaf Mk2 performance, I'm certain this can be done in 11 hours and 6 charges via this route: http://goo.gl/maps/RUHd4

1 - 20 of 66 Posts