Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2021 BMW iX3 Premier Pro / Nissan Leaf 2021 e+tekna (ordered)
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had the electrician around, and he's asked me to get in touch with Western Power, as the fuse for the main supply is ancient and not listed what size it is. So I've asked Western Power to upgrade me to 100amp, but they have sent through a form that needs to be filled in with all the details about what's being installed before they will even look at the fuse, problem is I'm not paying anyone (electrician etc) before I know its going to be ok. So we haven't decided on the charge point etc yet.

Seems a bit egg before chicken, surely they should know what's fitted and if they don't should come out to look at least? I'm attaching a pick of it, anyone got any ideas? Or should I just moan at WP and get them out, as bet my tails will need an upgrade anyhow.

Light Motor vehicle Gas Machine Nut

·
Registered
829 Posts
That - I believe - is the responsibility of the DNO.

I had OVO come to fit a new smart meter and they looked at the fuse/fuse box on my main supply and basically said - thats so old we can't touch it. The engineer then (very nicely) got in touch with NW power while I was there and arranged for them to come around and fix it. Which they did later in the same day!! (he said - correctly - that we had a small child on the property - priority case etc..).

Perhaps this could be a way to get it done?

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well just switched over from British gas to octopus, so have to wait for that to all happen before can get them involved

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow that is an old unit.
If your electrician has been round to look can't he send a rough quote saying that the fuse needs updating?
Yeah he said he would send me a quote over if needed, but he said because it's so old, and more importantly un labeled they would probably just come and change it, obviously not, or bumped into a jobsworth at their end that reviewed my request.

• Sad
Reactions: Harry6

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maybe go down the smart meter route then and they will contact the DNO
Yeah waiting for supply to switch to octopus, and get a smart meter in as wanna use go for the car obviously. So they will have to come do that, I suspect the tails need upgrading anyhow, and the eco7 meter changing.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, so managed to escalate, and the lady asked me to send a picture of the fuse, got this back...

"
Hello

This is a metal clad cut out and will need renewing. Due to the placement of the gas meter we will have cut the cable in the foot path to make the supply completely dead for safe working.

This will involve a small excavation in the footpath at the front of your property. The first date we can attend to complete the work is 9/11/2021.Unfortuneatley there is no availability to complete this sooner at this time.

There is no cost involved for yourself and our contractors will complete all digging and reinstatement, please be mindful reinstatement will be completed within 5 working days."

So the way I read that is I'll be without power for 5 days possibly? That can't be right surely!

• Wow

·
EVEZY code -£50 off: d409e
2,281 Posts
OK, so managed to escalate, and the lady asked me to send a picture of the fuse, got this back...

"
Hello

This is a metal clad cut out and will need renewing. Due to the placement of the gas meter we will have cut the cable in the foot path to make the supply completely dead for safe working.

This will involve a small excavation in the footpath at the front of your property. The first date we can attend to complete the work is 9/11/2021.Unfortuneatley there is no availability to complete this sooner at this time.

There is no cost involved for yourself and our contractors will complete all digging and reinstatement, please be mindful reinstatement will be completed within 5 working days."

So the way I read that is I'll be without power for 5 days possibly? That can't be right surely!
Possibly means the pavement, as the digging, electrical, then putting the pavement back together is all done by different teams.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hope so, I work from home most the time at the moment, and starting a new job early October, wouldn't want to be down and out for a week just after starting it 😂

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
When they start leaking pitch like that, then they are classed as being dangerous, as the pitch filling is the secondary insulation in those old units, and the cable going into it will be very much on it's last legs, with very rotten insulation in all probability. At a guess I'd say that incomer is at least around 50 to 60 years old, as they stopped using pitch-filled, cast iron ones in the 1960's, and that looks to be older than that. That are probably one or two generations of electricians that have never seen one like that, because they are too young!

They will usually try to keep the old supply in place whilst they excavate and run in the new cable, and only disconnect for the short time it takes to make off the terminations at either end. You can make the case that you need electricity, both for work, and, perhaps, also for medical reasons if you can swing it. They are then obliged to try and maintain continuity of supply for you, especially if you fit into the vulnerable person category.

Finally, they will almost certainly get rid of the TN-S supply you have now and convert you to TN-C-S/PME. Makes no difference in practice, but as the PE terminal on that ancient cable looks decidedly dodgy, it will almost certainly enhance the safety of your installation.

·
Registered
42 Posts
That - I believe - is the responsibility of the DNO.

I had OVO come to fit a new smart meter and they looked at the fuse/fuse box on my main supply and basically said - thats so old we can't touch it. The engineer then (very nicely) got in touch with NW power while I was there and arranged for them to come around and fix it. Which they did later in the same day!! (he said - correctly - that we had a small child on the property - priority case etc..).

Perhaps this could be a way to get it done?
its an old fuse but not inherently dangerous or unserviceable, good that you got it upgraded quickly but wouldn't normally justify a same day response.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
1,815 Posts
Maybe make arrangements with a neighbour to run out a couple of extension leads and slip 'em a tenner for the leccy. Assuming you have neighbours of course.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
its an old fuse but not inherently dangerous or unserviceable, good that you got it upgraded quickly but wouldn't normally justify a same day response.

As above, when those old pitch-filled heads start leaking pitch insulation they are now deemed to be dangerous, so warrant immediate replacement. I believe the thinking is that leaky pitch = heating = possible poor connection = fire risk. The reality is that some just leak pitch from old age. I've seen plenty of them on farms over the years, where they seemed to carry on working OK with pools of pitch on the floor beneath, but then attitudes to risk have changed a lot over the years.

·
Registered
42 Posts
As above, when those old pitch-filled heads start leaking pitch insulation they are now deemed to be dangerous, so warrant immediate replacement. I believe the thinking is that leaky pitch = heating = possible poor connection = fire risk. The reality is that some just leak pitch from old age. I've seen plenty of them on farms over the years, where they seemed to carry on working OK with pools of pitch on the floor beneath, but then attitudes to risk have changed a lot over the years.
agreed. ours was an old YEB fuse circa 57 I think. once opened they are a mess to put back. but it is done every day of the week. 'so old we aren't allowed to touch them' had me reaching for my chin.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Spoken to them, they recon 3-4 hours outage of power, I can deal with that, the UPS will keep the things I need up anyhow, and with some trimming of what's on it then probably make it just fine.

·
Registered
542 Posts
You might want to test the UPS. In my experience they are pretty unreliable and rarely work when you need them most, even expensive commercial ones.

Pity the guys doing the pavement can’t put you in a pipe for your charging cable to run under the pavement.

·
Registered
MG5
444 Posts
The ups I use gives you just about enough time to shut everything down probably with out bumping the HDD.
You would need to have pc, monitor and router on it to keep working not sure you would get 3-4 hours.
If you do please let me have the model number of your unit😅

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
My UPS is the same. When we get a power cut I just about have time to save whatever I'm doing and shut the machine down before the battery runs out. I usually now turn the monitor off just after the shut down request to give it a bit better chance of shutting down gracefully. The unit I have is only about a year old, so the battery should still be in good condition. It did keep the power up for around ten seconds during a power cut yesterday, I was part way through saving files when the power came back on.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You might want to test the UPS. In my experience they are pretty unreliable and rarely work when you need them most, even expensive commercial ones.

Pity the guys doing the pavement can’t put you in a pipe for your charging cable to run under the pavement.
I used to actually work for E. ON (IT not in power stuff) so may have a chat with my contacts and see if I can get em to lay one with a removable lid 😊

1 - 20 of 31 Posts