Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, first time posting!
So I've recently got a tesla and only using public chargers as I'm still in a rented place looking to buy. So my question is, has anyone successfully managed to install a charger in an apartment building?

·
Registered
326 Posts
So I've recently got a tesla and only using public chargers as I'm still in a rented place looking to buy. So my question is, has anyone successfully managed to install a charger in an apartment building?
I've installed in plenty. Obviously there are exceptions but it's not that difficult.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've installed in plenty. Obviously there are exceptions but it's not that difficult.
Thanks for your answer. I'm viewing a flat next week.
It's only a 2 story block of 4 flats and there're allocated parking spaces just next to the building. Would it require the agreement of all freehold owners?
Thank you

·
Registered
326 Posts
If you own your flat freehold and its your own space then no.

If there's a "landlord" or your works would disturb someone else then yes.

Have a chat with the over flat owners, they might want to all get one and that'll bring the cost down on ground works/cable tray etc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Have a chat with the over flat owners, they might want to all get one and that'll bring the cost down on ground works/cable tray etc.
Thank you very much for the info.

·
Registered
5,137 Posts
There are so many it's and buts. If you haven't yet purchased the flat, you should really get your solicitor to handle this. Walk away if it get legally complicated and you really want your own charger.

·
Registered
30 Posts

There are so many it's and buts. If you haven't yet purchased the flat, you should really get your solicitor to handle this. Walk away if it get legally complicated and you really want your own charger.
Both of these apply here; it depends entirely on where the parking space is, relative to your apartment and its electrical supply.
Typically, a private EV charger at a home would be installed by running some sturdy cable from where the consumer unit is to the charger. In apartments this might be complicated; can they spur off from your supply in the meter room (if there is one?), can you drill through the not-owned-by-you walls of the building to run the cable to the charger? Does the cable in fact need to come from your apartment itself rather than the meter room (and again, how does it get from apartment to parking space?).

There might be the option to install a charger that's not powered by your electricity supply, but is instead powered by the landlord supply - however someone's got to pay for the electricity; doubtful your neighbours will want to! So yes, well worth asking the questions & being prepared to walk away (or just walk literally - if you can't charge!) if it gets particularly complicated.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Unless it is a really simple install where your parking space is immediately outside your ground floor flat AND you have an amenable management company, then you probably have zero chance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts