Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many people have had their 7kw EV home charger installed using existing consumer unit?

I have an install pending and after site survey (using photos) their plan is to use existing spare way in CU. They aren’t mentioning any extras like a separate CU or surge protection despite me raising the topic. Wiring between Wallbox and CU is along internal garage wall.

For info, I have one spare way on RCD side and two on the non-RCD side. It’s a plastic CU from 2005 original build.

·
Registered
6,449 Posts
It's compliant with the regs, but not best practice, and especially not best practice in a non-fire resistant CU, and may not comply with the Wallbox MIs. If there's no alternative, then it's acceptable, as long as the required RCD/RCBO can be fitted. I think I'd opt to spend an extra £20 and fit a fire suppression tube in the CU if going down this route, though, just for peace of mind.

There is no requirement to retrofit surge protection devices when installing a charge point, so no need for concerns about that. The charge point will need open PEN fault protection and DC tolerant earth leakage protection, both of which are integral to the Wallbox, I believe, so no concerns there either.

The Wallbox supply must be fed from a DP Type A RCBO, to provide resettable residual current and over current protection for the cable. It may not be easy to fit a DP RCBO into the existing CU, though (and the Wallbox MIs do state this is needed). It cannot be just connected to a spare MCB in an existing CU, as there is a requirement for it to also have Type A RCD protection.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts