Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon fellas,

Looking into the possibility of getting an EV into our lives but having trouble with home charging.

Our house is mid-terrace (in a row of 3) with our driveway separate from the house. It's in line with it, but not next to it and we have a house between us and the driveway. Happy to upload pics if it would help.

I can't think of any way to do this apart from going over the neighbours front garden. The first EV installer I contacted said they frankly didn't want the work as it was too complicated.

At the moment, we haven't got the car. We just want to know if it's a possibility and whether it's prohibitively expensive. This car is supposed to save money, not spend it!

Any help or experience, or any recommendations of a good installer in the Milton Keynes area would be appreciated.

Thank you

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Afternoon fellas,

Looking into the possibility of getting an EV into our lives but having trouble with home charging.

Our house is mid-terrace (in a row of 3) with our driveway separate from the house. It's in line with it, but not next to it and we have a house between us and the driveway. Happy to upload pics if it would help.

I can't think of any way to do this apart from going over the neighbours front garden. The first EV installer I contacted said they frankly didn't want the work as it was too complicated.

At the moment, we haven't got the car. We just want to know if it's a possibility and whether it's prohibitively expensive. This car is supposed to save money, not spend it!

Any help or experience, or any recommendations of a good installer in the Milton Keynes area would be appreciated.

Thank you
Not answering your question, but you may well know that Milton Keynes probably has the highest density of public charging points in the UK - so if EV charging without a home charger is possible somewhere, that somewhere must be your area...
And in fact in another thread not far away, somebody recently in London explained that they are unable to charge at home, but rely exclusively on public charging - some of it free at supermarkets...

A thing to consider- how many owners of petrol/ diesel cars fill up at home?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not answering your question, but you may well know that Milton Keynes probably has the highest density of public charging points in the UK - so if EV charging without a home charger is possible somewhere, that somewhere must be your area...
And in fact in another thread not far away, somebody recently in London explained that they are unable to charge at home, but rely exclusively on public charging - some of it free at supermarkets...

A thing to consider- how many owners of petrol/ diesel cars fill up at home?
It is a fair point and one we considered, but where we are, which is technically Bletchley rather than MK itself there is just one public charger within walking distance.
Couple this with the fact the EV we would be getting is a first gen i3 with just an 80 mile range it becomes much less feasible. Picking the missus up in my petrol car from an EV charger misses the point somewhat.

I see what you’re saying about filling up at home, but I can’t see it as a true comparison as A. we wouldn’t leave our car at the petrol station to fill up and B. It takes 5 minutes rather than 8 hours.

I appreciate your input and being in MK is what drew us to the idea of swapping one car to be E powered.

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
635 Posts
A picture or sketch might help visualise it.

You might be able to come to an arrangement with the neighbour. Depends on how your relationship with them is.

How about workplace charging? Any chance there?

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
7,098 Posts
Happy to upload pics if it would help.
Please.
FWIW you will be unlikely to be able to claim an OLEV grant if there's no direct connection between your property and the driveway.
Personally I would not buy a short range EV without home, workplace or convenient local charging.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
1,313 Posts
This is the same as my install, only the cable route is along the back garden. Providing you have a good relationship with your neighbour it should be no problem. This could cause issues down the line if relationships sour or the neighbour moves.

it doesn't sound complicated, just needs a longer cable. Best bet to look for a local independent installer/competent electrician.

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
If you own the parking space then you can claim the OLEV grant, but you will need to show agreement to run the cable through your neighbours property. We know of people in forum who have achieved this. Generally it is cheaper to hire manual labour (or DIY) to dig the trench and work with local company to install charging point. I would avoid larger companies as they won't want hassle.

·
Registered
611 Posts
This is the same as my install, only the cable route is along the back garden. Providing you have a good relationship with your neighbour it should be no problem. This could cause issues down the line if relationships sour or the neighbour moves.

it doesn't sound complicated, just needs a longer cable. Best bet to look for a local independent installer/competent electrician.
The house I live in now had a ‘foreign’ cable in the past. The sellers had to inform us of the ongoing dispute with the offending neighbour when we bought it (complaints of noise, smells etc).

basically he installed the power to his garage their side of the hedge while the house was empty being refurbished. After a brief battle he was made to pay to remove and make good (trespass).

it’s fine by agreement but really needs properly adding to the deeds and installing in the ground to regs unless you accept the risk you might be forced to remove it if they move or someone tips them off about the risk of legal hassle over prescriptive rights.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
That’s fair enough, I’m pretty hopeless at this kind of things, hence asking if there was another way (short of teleporting electricity, I didn’t think there would be!)
Friendly enough with the neighbours but it feels like a big ask. That and budget is fairly prohibitive, but the again how much can digging a trench cost? Their garden is gravel too which might help.
Ive attached a diagram that I sent to the first EV installer I contacted.

The other problem is that their garden is raised, looks like it’s gonna be a nightmare.

Charging at work not possible - she works at a charity that aren’t going to be able to afford to install chargers for a very, very long time after this year.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The house I live in now had a ‘foreign’ cable in the past. The sellers had to inform us of the ongoing dispute with the offending neighbour when we bought it (complaints of noise, smells etc).

basically he installed the power to his garage their side of the hedge while the house was empty being refurbished. After a brief battle he was made to pay to remove and make good (trespass).

it’s fine by agreement but really needs properly adding to the deeds and installing in the ground to regs unless you accept the risk you might be forced to remove it if they move or someone tips them off about the risk of legal hassle over prescriptive rights.
Interesting to note, thank you. Probably does need something adding, like a “right of way” I suppose.
Solicitors fees to consider no doubt then. Might be having to stick to fossils at this rate 😂

·
Registered
Hyundai Kona, Halfords bike
361 Posts
That and budget is fairly prohibitive, but the again how much can digging a trench cost?
Not that much if you or the electrician hire a couple of labourers for the day.

the alternative is a trenchless moler. We had one for a mains water pipe under a front garden paved area.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Looks easy enough to me. Forget about grants IIWY. Just sweet talk the neighbour into letting you dig a trench, and get an electrician to connect up. Solicitors seem a bit OTT to me, unless you think a future neighbour may object.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Looks easy enough to me. Forget about grants IIWY. Just sweet talk the neighbour into letting you dig a trench, and get an electrician to connect up. Solicitors seem a bit OTT to me, unless you think a future neighbour may object.
It will have to be disclosed if they sell and that’s when the fun starts.

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
Will it though. Surveyors can’t see the wood for the trees most of the time.

Last house my folks bought, they discovered some half assed fire hazard electrical box in the loft that wasn’t ever mentioned.

My flat, I turned up on moving day to discover the show home furniture was still in it - despite it being “unfurnished” on the thousands of useless documents they gave us.

I wouldn’t worry. The bloke who comes round will be too busy sniffing around the boiler service history or something to dig up the garden.

On topic, MK is the one place you can live without home charging. Pop to the charging hub for half hour every week.

Reactions: HughF

·
Registered
MG ZS EV
533 Posts
I would suspect that there may be other services crossing that patch, phone, gas water etc. It shouldn’t be a problem you surely just need a witnessed letter of agreement for an easement which can be later died to deeds when a sale takes place. A conduit with a draw rope at the appropriate depth is all that is requirEd in the first instance and then the sparky can get going.

·
Registered
424 Posts
could you consider parking on the road and trailing (with cable protection mat) a charge cable across your front garden? Seems like it could work at least as an interim solution.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
could you consider parking on the road and trailing (with cable protection mat) a charge cable across your front garden? Seems like it could work at least as an interim solution.
We did consider this too. But the hedge running along our front garden isn't quite the length of a car, so parking a car there would be blocking on of our two neighbours paths and our own so not really feasible even temporarily. Happy neighbours are worth more to me than an EV!

Seems like the belt and braces option is to get the neighbours to agree and put it in the deeds, below that is agreement with a signed letter and below that just ask them and wing it. I don't think they plan to move, but you never know. They're lovely people, so I'm sure they wouldn't object. But it may be a case of seeing what the future holds, I'm sure councils will start to help out as this 2030 deadline approaches (ha-ha), moreso being in Milton Keynes and their vision to be the 'Greenest town in Europe by 2050'.
Maybe at that point they'll be letting me dig up the road to lay the cable 😄.

Thanks for all your help guys, food for thought.

·
Registered
2011 Leaf with Muxsan 17.6kWh battery, curt tow hitch fitted for bikes or buzz rack P10
314 Posts
just a idea here? what is at the rear of your garden? would it be possible to park at the back of your garden and run a cable through your back garden to the rear fence or does that back onto another's property. Another potential is maybe approaching the council and have them put in the required connection for a standalone evse like what you might see in a public carpark. The brucey bonus is that you could become a micro seller of ev juice in your area and get others onboard too. Hope you find a solution.

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
Probably easier to move house innit?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts