Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have swapped to an Ohme charger from my pod-point. I’m on agile and setting the car timers each night was getting old.. Will see how it goes before I tidy the wires up and put a box to hold it all where the Pod-Point is now. Does anyone know if Ohme has any way to see previous charges say the last week?

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Looks good. And with the unit indoors you have no worries about water ingress in through the top.
I can't believe that the Ohme can access previous data as it's not part of the vehicle or Octopus APIs.

·
Registered
ZE50 GT Line R135 CCS, Mar '20
179 Posts
Had a quote for an ohme installation... works out cheaper for me to have Renault/Chargemaster install a socketed charger (free) and buy an ohme cable separately (£400)...

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks good. And with the unit indoors you have no worries about water ingress in through the top.
I can't believe that the Ohme can access previous data as it's not part of the vehicle or Octopus APIs.
I have taped the top for now as I don’t trust it’s waterproof... ?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Had a quote for an ohme installation... works out cheaper for me to have Renault/Chargemaster install a socketed charger (free) and buy an ohme cable separately (£400)...
I got the cable from octopus for £199 so it’s much cheaper for me. If you can get one free then atleast you get everything done and you can always swap the charger later.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am getting my Ohme installed next week, but have a question to any current Ohme owners.

As I am having it installed outdoor and to keep the Mrs happy (with messy cables) I was looking at installing it inside a wall box that is 400h x 300w x 170deep mm.

My question is will the type 2 connector and charging cable coil up inside this size box along with the Ohme charger ok or would I need a larger box?

obviously I would like to get this installed before the turn up to install the ohme.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
It will also be a PITA to do it that tight each time.
Nissan in their wisdom provide a bag to store the cable in which is approx 35 x 25 x 20 but you don't have the Ohme in there as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I guess you might get the cable to fold into such a small space. It's not going to last many uses though, doing that to it.
This was why I was asking, if this is too small, how big a box will I need to be able to coil it back into comfortably? How big is your coil hanging on the wall bracket?

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
PodPoint encourage you to wind it around their unit which is 38cm diameter. Whether that should be done tightly is another matter. :unsure: There is also a difference in a rolling something around a regular former and potentially making sharp bends.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am getting my Ohme installed next week, but have a question to any current Ohme owners.

As I am having it installed outdoor and to keep the Mrs happy (with messy cables) I was looking at installing it inside a wall box that is 400h x 300w x 170deep mm.

My question is will the type 2 connector and charging cable coil up inside this size box along with the Ohme charger ok or would I need a larger box?

obviously I would like to get this installed before the turn up to install the ohme.
It would need to be a pretty big box. Say like garden hose hanger large. I would just go with a separate hanger as it’s not going to hurt it being out.

·
Registered
924 Posts
On the subject of garden hose hangers, have you guys seen the Source London charge units?

That looks to be on a self coiling spring, rather like my garden hose. Does anyone sell a charger like that for a home? I think it would be brilliant.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
On the subject of garden hose hangers, have you guys seen the Source London charge units?

That looks to be on a self coiling spring, rather like my garden hose. Does anyone sell a charger like that for a home? I think it would be brilliant.
Not seen anything like that for home charging. Surely it wouldn’t be that difficult to make. I’m guessing the waterproof contact tracks are probably not the easiest thing to make cheaply.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Very neat! (y)
Where did you source the box, and does the gasket go outside of the columns for the screws for the lid? Did you seal the back to the wall in some way to avoid damp getting along the screws?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Very neat! (y)
Where did you source the box, and does the gasket go outside of the columns for the screws for the lid? Did you seal the back to the wall in some way to avoid damp getting along the screws?
Its a schneider electric box just screws with a rubber seal front and rear. I’m not that worried as the case itself is supposed to be waterproof anyway. Was wondering if the sim would get signal being metal but working just fine!

·
Premium Member
4,109 Posts
Nice install, very neat.

I’ve put my ohme in a box too after I got some water ingress into the Commando socket. The ohme box itself hasn’t suffered any though.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nice install, very neat.

I’ve put my ohme in a box too after I got some water ingress into the Commando socket. The ohme box itself hasn’t suffered any though.

View attachment 128877
View attachment 128878
That looks nice as well! I’ve done away with the commando for mine. Have you had any issues with the e-golf stopping charge before full? Mine did Friday emailed them and they said they were updating with a fix on Monday.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts