Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All - asking a question on a behalf of a neighbour not on the forum and new to EVs!

Under (brilliant) peer pressure from their kids some neighbours replaced their diesel car with a Nissan Leaf recently whilst living in a terraced house. They were hoping to rely on just public charging but it's proving a bit cumbersome so want to run the cable across the pavement from time to time using an industrial quality cable cover - I've seen this done successfully in Oxford before.

However, they have not been able to find a single installer of wall boxes willing to fit one when they realise it is a terraced house - apperently for fear of being held liable in the event of any future claims for trips. I know it can be done though as I have seen terraced houses that have them in Oxford - so does anyone have anyone they can recommend who would be willing to install it?

This is not to start a conversation about the rights or wrongs of running a cable across the pavement - there are plenty of these debates on here and suffice to say I personally think it is fine if done temporarily and with the right equipment. So save those comments for another thread please, just interested if anyone else has faced this scenario and who they might recommend for installation :)

Thanks in advance!

PS. As a side note some of you will know that I took part in the Oxford Go Ultra Low trials which looked at different solutions for on-street charging for those in cities / without a driveway. More info here: Go Ultra Low Oxford and results of the first part of the study here: https://www.tsu.ox.ac.uk/pubs/2019-GULO-Phase-1-Final-Report.pdf. As such I'm lucky to have a cable channel installed and a wall box supplied as part of the trial - which is why I can't advise who to go to to my neighbours! Cable channels are great and the recommendation is that councils should simplify planning permission for them; but as ever with local government is likely to take quite a while to filter through and my neighbours need a wall-box sooner.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I've seen car charging points set into the pavement abroad. I wonder if your friends could sweet talk the council into letting them get one of those?

(Possibly they would need an exclusive parking bay provided.)

·
Evezy referral code: d4113
83 Posts
I live in a terraced with a gated ally at the side and front door onto pavement in a small culdisac, So basically no one but the postman or the neighbour uses the pavement. A few years ago knowing I wouldn't get the grant I bought a charger from Rolec. I contacted two 'official' installers and neither were willing, so then just got a qualified electrician to install the charger in the ally behind the gate, no problem. cable goes under the gate and I use a yellow and black cable channel thing on pavement

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I live in a terraced with a gated ally at the side and front door onto pavement in a small culdisac, So basically no one but the postman or the neighbour uses the pavement. A few years ago knowing I wouldn't get the grant I bought a charger from Rolec. I contacted two 'official' installers and neither were willing, so then just got a qualified electrician to install the charger in the ally behind the gate, no problem. cable goes under the gate and I use a yellow and black cable channel thing on pavement
Brilliant! Thanks, great advice

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is lamp column charging still an option in the area?
Yes- it’s the favoured option from the trials (see the TSU report) and is likely to get rolled out more widely. But will likely take a while to get off the ground unfortunately

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've seen car charging points set into the pavement abroad. I wonder if your friends could sweet talk the council into letting them get one of those?

(Possibly they would need an exclusive parking bay provided.)
They installed several as part of the Oxford trials with EV only bays but apart from Csr Club have proven problematic and unprofitable for the providers apparently so likely won’t be installed widely - for now at least! See TSU report link above for more detail

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hampshire County Council are trying to encourage EV take up and allow drivers to park and charge using a cable protector if used sensibly as per their guidance. If the local council in Oxford could give a nod to approve the same as HCC then it would certainly help matters.

2nd the idea of asking an electrician to fit an interlocked commando socket outlet in a sheltered spot / meter cupboard so an Ohme charger or similar can then be used.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hampshire County Council are trying to encourage EV take up and allow drivers to park and charge using a cable protector if used sensibly as per their guidance. If the local council in Oxford could give a nod to approve the same as HCC then it would certainly help matters.

2nd the idea of asking an electrician to fit an interlocked commando socket outlet in a sheltered spot / meter cupboard so an Ohme charger or similar can then be used.
Thank you. This is a really good idea. I actually know the team behind the GOLU trials that I took part in so will put my neighbours in touch with them.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I like the idea of fitting an interlocked socket in a extra meter box enclosure or other outdoor enclosure as those interlocked sockets are generally only IP44 rated.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
This kind of CEE socket is IP67

Only if matched with a sealing plug, which IIRC is not on the Ohme unit. You may end up in the strange situation where it is waterproof when not in use, and not when in use.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
When it's closed, no plug it will be the rated IP67.

To maintain the same with the OHME, just change the plug ( job done).

·
Registered
953 Posts
If you use a standard angled 32A socket facing downwards, it will be waterproof enough unless you're in a flood zone.
Similarly If the IP67 unit above, mounted pointing down, is used with the standard Ohme IP44 plug, it would be fine.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts