Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any recommendations? Not quite a standard install (is anything ever??) The CSU is on an inside wall (result of an extension) and doesn't have a spare way, so that needs sorting before cable is chased through ceiling if possible as dont really want loads of plastic trunking inside, our original sparky has decided to retire having given us the run around since January. Ordering vehicle next week, so would like to get on with it. Pics hopefully will help, thanks. Handwriting Rectangle Font Line Material property
Handwriting Font Line Writing Paper
Car Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle Plant

Attachments

·
Registered
406 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts

Did our install, professional service.

I'm sure he'd come to Reading as he regularly does jobs in London

·
Registered
2,877 Posts

·
Registered
2,877 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Any recommendations? Not quite a standard install (is anything ever??) The CSU is on an inside wall (result of an extension) and doesn't have a spare way, so that needs sorting before cable is chased through ceiling if possible as dont really want loads of plastic trunking inside, our original sparky has decided to retire having given us the run around since January. Ordering vehicle next week, so would like to get on with it. Pics hopefully will help, thanks. View attachment 144943 View attachment 144944 View attachment 144946
Any images of the utility room..?

id look at:
  • Installing the EVCP at position 1
  • Run the supply cable at low level under your front door around the side access
  • Go through the utility room behind any kitchen cupboards/white goods (if there are any across the run?) into where the consumer unit is.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Any images of the utility room..?

id look at:
  • Installing the EVCP at position 1
  • Run the supply cable at low level under your front door around the side access
  • Go through the utility room behind any kitchen cupboards/white goods (if there are any across the run?) into where the consumer unit is
Thanks, have Matt from MP Walden coming out to fit a pod point. He also fits for podpoint. He gave us a reasonable quote so will update tomorrow after his visit. We couldn't fit an ohme charger without getting DNO approval which takes ages, so gone with podpoint which pleased OH as he's a tidy freak and I would just leave it trailing if it didn't have a stowing option.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quick update: had Podpoint fitted yesterday by Matt and can highly recommend. Very tidy and considerate, reasonable quote considering he was here from 8 am to 4pm as not a straightforward install, but he has used mini trunking inside and done everything at a low level pretty much as Robinson2200 suggested, so very pleased.

·
Registered
146 Posts
FYI Podpoint will still require the DNO approval. This is on the EVHS installers form, within Part C, section 2. You fill this in with your installer and sign as part of the grant. Pre or post approval will depend on your maximum demand of the property (calculated total power you are likely to use).

·
Registered
6,740 Posts
FYI Podpoint will still require the DNO approval. This is on the EVHS installers form, within Part C, section 2. You fill this in with your installer and sign as part of the grant. Pre or post approval will depend on your maximum demand of the property (calculated total power you are likely to use).

Where is the regulation stating that DNO approval is required? Certainly there is a requirement to inform the DNO after completing the installation, just as there is for any other high load bit of kit, like a heat pump or perhaps a hot tub, but I'm not aware of any regulation stipulating that DNO consent is required. In fact, I believe that DNOs are supposed to actually undertake some work free of charge to allow a charge point installation, like unlooping, for example.

I've installed two charge points here, and just informed the DNO afterwards about them. Just followed normal practice of doing a maximum load assessment, ensuring the supply was rated for the new maximum load, and that was that. Part P sign off was just a part of the house build building regs approval. DNO weren't the slightest bit interested in the charge points, or when they granted me a G59 approval for up to 10 kWp of export, but they did ask endless questions about the heat pump. They seemed to have a view that these things have high starting currents, which may have been true 20 years ago, but doesn't apply to the vast majority of them now.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Where is the regulation stating that DNO approval is required? Certainly there is a requirement to inform the DNO after completing the installation, just as there is for any other high load bit of kit, like a heat pump or perhaps a hot tub, but I'm not aware of any regulation stipulating that DNO consent is required. In fact, I believe that DNOs are supposed to actually undertake some work free of charge to allow a charge point installation, like unlooping, for example.

I've installed two charge points here, and just informed the DNO afterwards about them. Just followed normal practice of doing a maximum load assessment, ensuring the supply was rated for the new maximum load, and that was that. Part P sign off was just a part of the house build building regs approval. DNO weren't the slightest bit interested in the charge points, or when they granted me a G59 approval for up to 10 kWp of export, but they did ask endless questions about the heat pump. They seemed to have a view that these things have high starting currents, which may have been true 20 years ago, but doesn't apply to the vast majority of them now.
IET code of practice EVCE installation, 4th ed, section 11.

And as above, if applying for the grant; the EVHS installers form, part c, section 2... Installer delcares that they have notified the DNO.

Again, as said above; Pre or post agreement/application is dependent on MD.

Yes, they will usually carry out upgrades for nothing.

It usually takes a couple of days for them to return confirnation once the correct form has been submitted.

·
Registered
6,740 Posts
IET code of practice EVCE installation, 4th ed, section 11.

And as above, if applying for the grant; the EVHS installers form, part c, section 2... Installer delcares that they have notified the DNO.

Again, as said above; Pre or post agreement/application is dependent on MD.

Yes, they will usually carry out upgrades for nothing.

It usually takes a couple of days for them to return confirnation once the correct form has been submitted.

That's exactly what I thought, that the requirement is to notify the DNO, not that the DNO have to grant consent. Never had to deal with the grant side of things, but know there have always been conditions associated with it, such as there being a requirement long before the 18th for grant funded charge points to have DC tolerant earth leakage protection (something very widely ignored in my experience).

·
Registered
146 Posts
That's exactly what I thought, that the requirement is to notify the DNO, not that the DNO have to grant consent. Never had to deal with the grant side of things, but know there have always been conditions associated with it, such as there being a requirement long before the 18th for grant funded charge points to have DC tolerant earth leakage protection (something very widely ignored in my experience).
Yes the form says notify, but the DNO still come back with approved/un-approved...
It actually makes it quite easy if you require the fuse to be upgraded.. you fill out the form stating that MD exceeds the cutout fuse, and the dno arrange directly with your client to change it over free of charge. Ive got one due to be changed next week for a client, and he is very pleased that he hasnt had to arrange this himself.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Yes the form says notify, but the DNO still come back with approved/un-approved...
It actually makes it quite easy if you require the fuse to be upgraded.. you fill out the form stating that MD exceeds the cutout fuse, and the dno arrange directly with your client to change it over free of charge. Ive got one due to be changed next week for a client, and he is very pleased that he hasnt had to arrange this himself.
To add, it took about 4 weeks total for this one, from application to installation (if not delayed)... if captured during the initial survey, you could hopefully have this complete prior to the lead time on some chargers...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts