Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, first post on here after a few weeks of lurking.

I need some advice, I have recently received my Seat Mii electric (great car BTW) and as part of the lease agreement I am paying a bit extra for the installation of a Pod Point 7kw charger.

The issue is, the installation team knocked back my OLEV grant as they say that as the charger cable will cross a small private (i.e. not a public pavement) path outside my flat. They have said that I will have to pay for the charger now (which is a bit rum, but hey ho), but have also got to get approval from the council to put a truk-tidy/cable cover over the charger cable when it is in use.

I spoke at length with planning/highways dept (what a joy that was) and they said as the path is in a private court yard they have no remit to give approval for this cable tidy.

There is a property management company that is responsible for the car-park and the court yard itself and I am going to approach them for approval, but has anyone else had to do this?

The issue is, I may end up paying for an installation that never happens and Pod Point will be getting money for nothing. I suspect that somewhere in the contract is says you need to check you have a valid installation location before signing up, but it still smarts and that extra £10-£20 a month could have been spent on electricity to power the car.

TLDR: Has anyone else in the UK had to get approval from a property management company to use cable tidy to cover a charging cable on a private path, in a private car park?

Thanks in advance.

·
42k miles on public charging. Am I an expert yet?
2,886 Posts
Welcome :)

Bit of a shame to hear you didn't ask before you bought it sadly :( Many have tried but I'm not aware of anyone yet who's officially got permission.

Some pictures and a diagram of what you're proposing would help us to understand what you're trying to do and the potential impact on other people.

The pragmatic view is that if you can do it without impacting anybody else then there's no reason for them to object, but most will object regardless because it just isn't something that's done yet. Some people have chosen to ignore official permission and go for it at their own risk, but that has to be done with serious care because if anyone trips over or somehow hurts themselves some other way on the cable you'll be liable for their injury claims.

• Haha
Reactions: B0MBD0G

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Either find someone with less scruples and just do it, or move somewhere easier. Dealing with management firms is a hiding to nothing.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
3,327 Posts
Check your lease for any paragraphs specifically mentioning EV chargers or other things like sat dishes that involve external cable runs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome :)

Bit of a shame to hear you didn't ask before you bought it sadly :( Many have tried but I'm not aware of anyone yet who's officially got permission.

Some pictures and a diagram of what you're proposing would help us to understand what you're trying to do and the potential impact on other people.
Haha.. I did treat the whole sign up process like a tick box on a website.. my bad. I have just emailed the landlord (who is obviously very happy to have a charger installed for nowt) and he is emailing the property management company to get their approval on my behalf. Pod Point have now done a 180 and said that if I get their approval I will qualify for the Ozev grant (?)
I have attached some photos to give you an idea of where it is hopefully gonna go, and I really don't mind using a cable tidy if needed, although all of the neighbours are fine with me getting the thing installed.

·
Registered
5,357 Posts
As above, ignore the CU and connect direct into the meter box. As you already have an isolator/switched fuse in there it's going to be a really easy install. As well as being easier, it's a far better solution to connect via a small connection box into the tails, anyway. Looks like you don't have to really worry too much about cable trip hazards either, as there doesn't look to be a well-used pathway between your house and parking space. Just a simply rubber cable protector would seem to be fine.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Anyone remember when developers used to sell houses and then hand the roads over to the council, instead of this managed parking space rubbish? Fleecehold madness!

Edit: as you’re renting the house, just move somewhere more suitable…

·
2,886 Posts
Anyone remember when developers used to sell houses and then hand the roads over to the council, instead of this managed parking space rubbish? Fleecehold madness!

Edit: as you’re renting the house, just move somewhere more suitable…
That is basically how it all works now.

But this isn't a road, this is a parking area - which remain private land with the maintenance paid by the homeowners.

·
evezy referral code d6540
3,626 Posts
I’d imagine most residents in that section of houses leave their front door and cross the path to their parked car directly in front. Even pedestrians probably take a shortcut across the car park rather than follow the pavement. Hence when you charge, especially if it’s during the night, couldn’t you just drive closer to the charging point with the front wheels on the path? The kerb doesn’t appear very high and that would mean you wouldn’t have to bother with any cable mats/protectors. Check if your neighbours would mind that arrangement.

·
2,886 Posts
I’d imagine most residents in that section of houses leave their front door and cross the path to their parked car directly in front. Even pedestrians probably take a shortcut across the car park rather than follow the pavement. Hence when you charge, especially if it’s during the night, couldn’t you just drive closer to the charging point with the front wheels on the path? The kerb doesn’t appear very high and that would mean you wouldn’t have to bother with any cable mats/protectors. Check if your neighbours would mind that arrangement.
That does sound like an option.
Of course the issue is what happens when someone moves out and their replacement doesn't like it :(

Actually this reminds me of something fundamentally wrong with the planning system - this arrangement of house being separated from driveway by a footpath desperately needs to be banned, because it's only going to cause problems in the future. If we are going to fully embrace EVs, then we have to either have driveways immediately adjacent to the property or the developers must be made to build the parking spaces with a 40A power supply to a location suitable for fitting a charger on a wall, post or in the ground.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
That is basically how it all works now.

But this isn't a road, this is a parking area - which remain private land with the maintenance paid by the homeowners.
Crap isn’t it. Feel sorry for folks who “own” these houses.

·
Registered
Vauxhall Corsa-e Elite Nav Premium Quartz Grey (Due Sept 2021)
70 Posts
Your meter is in that open cupboard next to the door, right?
It'll be easier for them to split off the mains right after the isolation switch in there, and install a second mini consumer unit in your hallway for your charger.
As above, ignore the CU and connect direct into the meter box. As you already have an isolator/switched fuse in there it's going to be a really easy install. As well as being easier, it's a far better solution to connect via a small connection box into the tails, anyway. Looks like you don't have to really worry too much about cable trip hazards either, as there doesn't look to be a well-used pathway between your house and parking space. Just a simply rubber cable protector would seem to be fine.
Just as these two say, no need to mess about running a cable all the way across the house, just pop it right next to the meter box. We've just had a Pod Point installed and whilst we have a drive so didnt have to worry about all the fun and games you are having they popped it about a foot from the meter box and ran the cables from there to the charger, total run of less than a metre! See pics below of the charger next to the meter box and the inside of the meter box. Doesnt help with the charging cable draped across the pavement etc but in terms of installation on the house its loads easier.

The white box in the middle is the new mini consumer unit as far as i know with the meter tails split etc through the boxes top right.

·
Registered
Kia Soul 2021
89 Posts
Either find someone with less scruples and just do it, or move somewhere easier. Dealing with management firms is a hiding to nothing.
My sister owns a rental flat in a small development of four. 3 in the main block, with the 4th built over the 3 parking spaces behind the main block, accessed via a private drive. She wanted to install an EV charger behind her allocated parking space which is shown on her title deeds, but would need to dig up the tarmac drive to do it.
However, all external walls, windows, doors, roofs and driveways for all flats come under common property, as they are insured under one insurance policy and one owner kicked up at their management meeting and installation was voted down.
The 4 flat owners own the freehold and each has a 1/4 share in the freehold and they also have their own management company paid for monthly by each owner which covers external maintenance etc.
So she was stymied. Fortunately, over the last year 2 of the flats came onto the market and she snapped them up.
This gave her 3 controlling votes at management meetings and she then dug up the drive from the 4 meter boxes (approximately 30 meters) to the parking spaces and installed 3 chargers within the covered parking area.
She has now 3 , two bedroom apartments with secure, covered parking, each with their own dedicated chargers in the centre of the County Town. Each one is rented out to EV owners and I believe she even charges a small premium in the rent for the EV point. If I remember correctly, she got a grant for the EV charger installations as well.
If she hadn’t purchased the other apartments, she would never have got the votes to install the EV chargers.

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
2,904 Posts
My sister owns a rental flat in a small development of four. 3 in the main block, with the 4th built over the 3 parking spaces behind the main block, accessed via a private drive. She wanted to install an EV charger behind her allocated parking space which is shown on her title deeds, but would need to dig up the tarmac drive to do it.
However, all external walls, windows, doors, roofs and driveways for all flats come under common property, as they are insured under one insurance policy and one owner kicked up at their management meeting and installation was voted down.
The 4 flat owners own the freehold and each has a 1/4 share in the freehold and they also have their own management company paid for monthly by each owner which covers external maintenance etc.
So she was stymied. Fortunately, over the last year 2 of the flats came onto the market and she snapped them up.
This gave her 3 controlling votes at management meetings and she then dug up the drive from the 4 meter boxes (approximately 30 meters) to the parking spaces and installed 3 chargers within the covered parking area.
She has now 3 , two bedroom apartments with secure, covered parking, each with their own dedicated chargers in the centre of the County Town. Each one is rented out to EV owners and I believe she even charges a small premium in the rent for the EV point. If I remember correctly, she got a grant for the EV charger installations as well.
If she hadn’t purchased the other apartments, she would never have got the votes to install the EV chargers.
With any luck the awkward leaseholder will now take umbrage and move out. Then she can complete the set!

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Love it @KDon 😆 “f*** it I’ll just buy the building then”

Good on her!

·
Registered
Kia Soul 2021
89 Posts
With any luck the awkward leaseholder will now take umbrage and move out. Then she can complete the set!
The “awkward” leaseholder was actually the only flat owner who didn’t have a parking space in the development, as back in the early 80’s the Council didn’t insist on a space for every flat. She doesn’t even live there, but rents it out and only has foot access to the bin area near the parking spaces. She used her vote just because she could be, as you say, “awkward”.
She had tried to buy the 2 flats, but got outbid twice in sealed bid purchases.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts