Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Recently got my IONIQ 5 Ultimate Tech Auto - and just wondering if anybody else has installed a dashcam?

I have a fused USB cable which I used in my old Mazda, however looking at the fusebox under the steering column, it appears I need to get a new one with a smaller fuse.

I've identified a spare 10A slot, however I was wondering what the best route for the cabling was? It doesnt appear that there is a clear path from the steering fuse box, up into the A pillar and across the top of the roof lining as I did in my Mazda.

Any suggestions would be muchly appreciated.

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 AWD Ultimate Tech/Eco
19 Posts
Hi Scott, welcome to the forum. I have installed a dashcam and used a piggy-back fuse adapter to power it (Micro-2 is the size you need BTW).

I found the best way to route the cable is pull away the rubber door seal (it pulls away very easily) then you can tuck the cable all the way from the side of the fuse box up the door frame and into the headlining at the top of the A-pillar.

Be careful routing the cable across the top of the A-Pillar as there is an airbag in there, I would gently pull the trim away on the A pillar to give you room to tuck the cable behind the airbag so the cable doesn't interfere with the airbag should it ever get deployed.

I think there was a better guide somewhere in another forum, I will see if I can find it and will link it below.

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 AWD Ultimate Tech/Eco
19 Posts

This is a nice neat way to do it, it saves having to pull the A-Pillar trim away if you've got a decent cable tie you can use to fish the cable across the top of the headlining. Pretty much the same process I followed otherwise.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

This is a nice neat way to do it, it saves having to pull the A-Pillar trim away if you've got a decent cable tie you can use to fish the cable across the top of the headlining. Pretty much the same process I followed otherwise.

Hope that helps.
This is super helpful, thankyou!

·
Registered
Hyundai IONIQ 5 Project 45 LR AWD
24 Posts
Just a warning if anyone is getting their dashcam installed by Halfords, or a garage. Ensure they piggy-back power on one of the ‘spare’ fuses (mine is now on Spare fuse 1). When Halfords first installed mine, they piggy-backed it on an A/C 7.5a fuse and it completely disabled the entire climate control system. The computer systems on modern cars can be very sensitive to current draw and if they see more than expected on a particular circuit they can shut that circuit down. Make sure you check which fuse they have used, or make sure to tell them to use the fuse position marked Spare 1.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
124 Posts
I have a dashcam on my kia E-soul that will move over to the Ioniq 5 when it arrives. It sits in the middle on top of the dash ( away from any airbags) on a pad of bluetac and plugs in with a USB lead. It hasn't moved in 18 months. It turns on when I turn the car on. Prior to that it was in my previous vehicle for 3 years. Records full HD, clear images and sound.

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 72.6 AWD , UNIQ + Relax , Phantom Black , Black interior
20 Posts
Just a warning if anyone is getting their dashcam installed by Halfords, or a garage. Ensure they piggy-back power on one of the ‘spare’ fuses (mine is now on Spare fuse 1). When Halfords first installed mine, they piggy-backed it on an A/C 7.5a fuse and it completely disabled the entire climate control system. The computer systems on modern cars can be very sensitive to current draw and if they see more than expected on a particular circuit they can shut that circuit down. Make sure you check which fuse they have used, or make sure to tell them to use the fuse position marked Spare 1.
Is spare 1 on the ioniq 5 always powered even if the car is off?
Ive just connected my nextbase 622 to the spare 2 and its always powered and i would like to have it go off when i turn the car off ( even though im using the hardwire kit from nextbase ).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ive just connected my nextbase 622 to the spare 2 and its always powered and i would like to have it go off when i turn the car off ( even though im using the hardwire kit from nextbase ).
Alll the spares I tried were permanently on. I think that's the reality with an EV as usually you have ignition fuses.

Luckily my dashcam turns off after X hours but runs on minimal voltage to sense G force impacts when parked.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Alll the spares I tried were permanently on. I think that's the reality with an EV as usually you have ignition fuses.

Luckily my dashcam turns off after X hours but runs on minimal voltage to sense G force impacts when parked.
thanks for the reply

·
Registered
24 Posts
Using Spare 1 my dashcam switches off when the car is turned off and comes on when it is restarted, so not sure why others are saying all spare circuits are permanently on. Most dashcams have an internal battery, so can be switched on even if the power is off on the cable, so this might be confusing people into thinking the circuit is always live.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've not tried spare 1 but I've since discovered the parking mode on the nextbase 622 (thought it was just using the reverse camera to aid reversing) which is designed for those with hardwire connections and automatically stops recording when the vehicle stops for at least 5 mins. Spare 2 is permantly live though even when the car is off.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 5 AWD
1,074 Posts
I had Halfords booked to do my dash cam.The installer turned up and said he has been instructed to not install them on electric cars! Pretty useless service given they ask for the car details when you book!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had Halfords booked to do my dash cam.The installer turned up and said he has been instructed to not install them on electric cars! Pretty useless service given they ask for the car details when you book!
I suspect they might have been getting too many complaints, given that they initially installed mine on the wrong fuse circuit, which caused the climate controls to stop working. I had to return to get them to change the power supply connection. Electric cars tend to have a lot more sensitive electronic circuits than ICE cars I suspect.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 5 AWD
1,074 Posts
I suspect they might have been getting too many complaints, given that they initially installed mine on the wrong fuse circuit, which caused the climate controls to stop working. I had to return to get them to change the power supply connection. Electric cars tend to have a lot more sensitive electronic circuits than ICE cars I suspect.
I had a call yesterday from the area boss of the dash cam fitting company (Halfords sub it out). He said they can and do fit to elec cars as they use the internal fusebox and not the main one - which is where I would expect them to fit to. Rebooked to come out again on Thurs and gave me a £35 discount.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts