Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Peugeot e208, 2021
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have suggestions on a good place to install a hard-wired GPS tracker inside an e208? It'll be about the size of a large matchbox and needs an always-on 12v line. I considered putting it behind the glovebox where I've also wired in the dashcam, but I'm not sure whether there's enough space back there. Maybe behind one of the side panels in the boot? Not sure if there will be an always-on power supply.

Any ideas or experiences appreciated!

(Don't worry - the tracker, like the dashcam, has a voltage monitor and will turn itself off if required to avoid draining the accessory battery.)

·
Registered
476 Posts
Often in the rear headlining, getting power from the rear cabin light and with the wire aerial run out and behind the tailgate rubber seal out of sight, ( or even inside a tubular rubber seal).

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Cut open some lining and stuff an AirTag in there?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I have one that works really well and has a 3 month battery life, so doesn’t need permanent power, - just powering up when the car is on is more than enough.

One of these:-

Has worked brilliantly and is behind the trim panel in the bot..

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,200 Posts
Tracker's require both a phone and a GPS signal so if you are not putting it in the headlining, check it works before burying it under lots of metal and wiring.

I used a Rewire Security DB1Lite in my camper, and have a DB1 on my boat as it has telematic inputs and outputs so i can check the bilge water level, and both battery voltages, as well as turn on the bilge pump and battery charger.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Seriously, AirTags. Damn near invisible and a year long battery. Odds are one of the fellas who steal it will have an iPhone and it’ll lead you straight to them.

Reactions: Hermit Dave

·
Registered
Leaf 30kWh, HS PHEV
2,786 Posts
Seriously, AirTags. Damn near invisible and a year long battery. Odds are one of the fellas who steal it will have an iPhone and it’ll lead you straight to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
I’d say that’ll make them more likely to bail and leave the car somewhere, which makes it easier to recover. Or torch it, in which case your insurer buys you a new car anyway. Win win

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Air Tag is totally useless for this - you are relying on the crook having the "right" phone - pointless.

Use the one I recommended - it works even buried at the bottom of the spare wheel well, goes to sleep when not moved for 10 min (but sends a log to the server where you can see where it stopped, and then when it wakes up, it does it again so it never moves without you knowing it - keeps a full track of it's travels over it's whole life - it just works.... perfectly.....

Only thing that would stop it would be a Cell blocker in the car (sadly they exist) and some criminals do carry them.... But nothing will work if they have one of those.

But no, an air tag simply won't work - it doesn't have a sim card in it!!

And on that subject, my tracker had £10 of credit on the sim when I installed it - after a year it has £9.21 credit - so it's not exactly data hungry!

·
evezy referral code d6540
3,559 Posts
The My Peugeot app shows you the location of the vehicle.

Reactions: TJEV

·
Registered
Peugeot e208, 2021
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the replies!

RE the My Peugeot app - sadly it only shows you where you left if, if you had your phone connected at the time. Helpful in a huge carpark, but that's about it.

RE AirTags - I looked at these briefly, then dismissed them for the points raised above, and because I've got nothing else from the Apple ecosystem and I'd rather not start now.

The one @SoulGW recommended is the kind of thing I'll have, i.e. a tracker with it's own GPS and mobile data capability. I'm going down the DIY route because a) I like DIY projects and b) I want full ownership and control of the data.

Hiding in the headlining is a decent idea, I'm just not sure whether there's enough depth up there. I'll explore behind various panels this weekend and update here.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts

My car is in Cornwall apparently ;)

get an old smart phone and just add a USB charger and whatever “find my phone” app or location sharing and a PAYG sim

you can also put a police ring tone or have auto answer so you can speak to the person who’s stolen the car
JJ

·
Registered
424 Posts
Thanks for all the replies!

RE the My Peugeot app - sadly it only shows you where you left if, if you had your phone connected at the time. Helpful in a huge carpark, but that's about it.

RE AirTags - I looked at these briefly, then dismissed them for the points raised above, and because I've got nothing else from the Apple ecosystem and I'd rather not start now.

The one @SoulGW recommended is the kind of thing I'll have, i.e. a tracker with it's own GPS and mobile data capability. I'm going down the DIY route because a) I like DIY projects and b) I want full ownership and control of the data.

Hiding in the headlining is a decent idea, I'm just not sure whether there's enough depth up there. I'll explore behind various panels this weekend and update here.
Could you post details of your project once completed?

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
8,118 Posts
This has a 3 year battery life. iTrack Long life Wireless GPS Tracker | Halfords UK

I wouldn't really on the app as the Corsa one would show you where your phone was the last time it managed to update the app rather than where the car is currently.

Boot wheel well is another place to put it. You could even hardwire one in the glovebox and have the above stashed somewhere else on the car.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts