Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys did anyone tried installing the electric heater on the Outlander PHEV ?
Those units are available online and seem to have only two cable sockets to be installed.
Looks easy enough to fix .
Does anyone had a go at it ?
Cheers !!

·
richi.uk
181 Posts
No, it's much harder than that. You need to change a load of pipework and valves, too. Plus whatever ETACS madjick is needed for it to actually fire up the PTC element. If you were to do this, make sure you also get the pump.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Damn!
Thanks guys.
Though it would be easier than that ...
Will have to stick to an old procedure of get up and start the car and then get ready for work in winter time.
I don't mind that just thought it would be possible to hack it a bit.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Hacking is one thing.

If the Vin coded body control computer spits the dummy it's a non starter (pure speculation on my part)

·
Outlander PHEV App - EvBatMon.
128 Posts
Will have to stick to an old procedure of get up and start the car and then get ready for work in winter time.
When you do pre-heat from the PHEV App, surely that would use an electric heater? We don't really need it in Australia so I have only used it once.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Jeremy.
I wish I had an app but I don't need one as no electric heater so no point.
But even if I did had a heater then my car has just been security updated and my old SSID and password don't work......
Called Mitsubishi UK but they said that they cannot help and I need to get back to the dealer who done the update.....
Had a lot of laughs since I bought this car...
Never again. Mitsubishi.

·
Registered
6,427 Posts
For some years - well before any EV was around - I used to place a small fan heater overnight in the car, with an extension cable to the house and a mechanical timer on the plug end to start heating half an hour before I left for work. Even in the worst of winter, the car was always defrosted and toasty and ready to roll.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks hitstirrer
Good thinking mate :)
I did actually had a look online for those mini 12v cigarette lighter heating units for this car..... But checking reviews isn't making me confident enough to buy one. Apparently they are all crap.
ICE heating is my only solution then.

·
Registered
6,427 Posts
Yeah - any resistive heater using a 12v DC x 5 amp ciggy light socket would be very poor in heat output. This reminded me of back in those days when I used my fan heater. A mate nearby used to pop out and start his car and let the heater do its thing for a while before he set off. I asked if he was worried some scroat would steal his car. He smiled and said that he had thought of that. He had removed the large nut holding the steering wheel on the column splines and took the wheel indoors every night. Any would-be thief wouldn't get very far. Life was so much simpler back then.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Haha :) good story hitstirrer.
And totally agree with you !
Life was sooooo much better back in the day! It's nice to have the technology now but things are so much more complicated.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Look for a Scandinavian style winter pre heater. They're a small 240v fan in the footwell, and there's usually a fly-lead in the grill or wheel arch than you plug in..

Usually combined with a block heater to keep the car clear in -30C.

·
Registered
424 Posts
You can get a water heater that you plumb into your cooling system and heat it from the mains. Put the thing on a timer and you've got a warm engine when you set off. I've got an old one to plumb into my old classic as I'm plumbing in a new engine

1 - 14 of 14 Posts