Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie to speakev so hi to all. Am due to take delivery of a BMWi3 in week 50 (if all goes to plan). Approached British Gas for installation of a free EVSE in August and they came and fitted a 32 amp point with polar wallbox. However they could not connect it as I had no isolator switch and they are no longer allowed to pull the house fuse. I contacted EON who eventually came and fitted an isolator switch for no charge. I then called BG back to connect and eventually somebody came but said they could not connect it because the house fuse is only 60 amps and must be 80 or 100 amps. I phoned EON who told me this was not their responsibility, I needed to contact UK Power Networks. I eventually got through to them and they sent me a six page application to have my fuse upgraded. I completed this, scanned it and sent it off. I am now waiting for somebody to give me a quote for the work and to arrange a site visit! Presumably once this is complete an engineer might come to put in a new fuse and then I can re-contact BG and ask them to return to make the connection.
What a mission! Why didn't somebody tell me what was required of my house electrics for an EVSE be fitted right from the start?

·
http://ts.la/david3488
642 Posts
They might have to upgrade the head which may cost you a few quid
My business partner had to get the head upgraded UKPN quoted 1k to do it, he flagged down a passing ukpn van and paid the bloke cash instead !

oh and to answer the question, they should do a survey , which it sounds like they did.
the dealer would not know anything about the supply sizing..

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Hi @Whistleworm and welcome, sorry you have had a drama but that's a load of cobblers. The guy who installed my Rolec unit never came in the house to look at supply and certainly didn't need isolator as he just connected to spare slot in garage consumer unit. That's British Gas for you - i hope they get it sorted in time for your new car !

·
642 Posts
assuming the OP had a spare way, if not then it would need the main bomb pulling.
but yes stay away from BG !

·
642 Posts
My Business partners Outer London home had a 32A supply !

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to all for the commiserations. The saga continues. I had the UK Power Networks site visit who agreed to uprate my house fuse to 100amps free of charge. However he said the 'tails' fitted by EON to the isolation switch were not of enough capacity. They need to be 25mm. UKPN cannot upgrade the fuse until this is done. So I contacted EON to ask them back to re-do the 'tails'. Once this is done UKPN should be able to upgrade the fuse and then BG can return to connect the EVSE. I feel I have entered a kafka-esque world where the rules change with each individual you encounter, so I no longer have any expectation that there will not be any further obstacles. I will keep you updated!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts